Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass burning in new lawn

Options
  • 28-06-2009 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I seeded our new lawn back in April. The grass has come up well but I've noticed that in some parts of the garden the grass is burning.
    I haven't sprayed any weedkiller recently and I don't know what can be casuing it. Any ideas?
    Hopefully you can see the image below.

Copy%201%20of%20Image007.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is there a bitch (i.e. female canine) urinating in your garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Is there a bitch (i.e. female canine) urinating in your garden?

Yeah we have, would that cause it?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

A friend of mine had the same issue with a young dog on a small patch of grass - strangely his dog is male but apparently the chemicals in young males urine will do the same damage as bitches. Apparently the grass goes yellowy first in areas that have been urinated on and then dies off so it sounds likely in your case.

Just as an aside I've something similar happening with turf I rolled last year - it's pretty good overall but there are some dead patches that look like this - I've put some compost and grass cuttings on the dead areas (grass cuttings seem to root in the gravel beds beside so I'm hoping for the same thing) and trying to water it a good bit every evening when I get home from work. Any other things I can do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Both male and female dogs' urine will burn grass, it's just that females tend to concentrate it all in the one spot whereas males will spray it around. Try and train the dog to always go in the one spot, while this won't solve the problem, it will contain it. Using plenty of water may help but this really needs to be done immediately after the dog has peed.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

have the same problem ourselves, my dad said to me he found a article about a product that can be added to the drinking water to make it less acidic. but, i would be a bit weary of that myself, ill check it out and let u know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Advertisement