Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat exams

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

Dankoozy wrote: »
    sure if you want extra study time just write 'atari jaguar' on your answer sheet and hand it in the first time and you can do the exam twice as well. at the end of the day the lad who spent the whole summer studying and got better results probably knows more than you now and his results should show that

its probably not a bad idea if you think you don't have enough time to study for all your subjects

well if the person had the mentality to purposely fail his exams the first time round he is clearly a simpleton!

my god.........:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

well if the person had the mentality to purposely fail his exams the first time round he is clearly a simpleton!

my god.........:eek:

Not if he gets 100 the second time. Unless its anything to do with 'arts' then he is still a simpleton

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Dankoozy wrote: »
    Not if he gets 100 the second time. Unless its anything to do with 'arts' then he is still a simpleton

You won't get 100% the second time. Sure you might ace the exam but at the end of it all, the result will be a pass.

If you have to repeat an exam when you're in your degree year the best you can hope for is a Pass grade on your degree while those that studied and passed all their exams can achieve Merit 2, Merit 1 and Distinction grades which will always look far more attractive to employers.

If you set out to repeat then you take a penalty later on, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bbbbb1

Please let me know :

I failed one module in the end of year (3 year ) between 11 modules ,and I sat down to the repeat C.A and the repeat Exam already.( my first exam i have got just 34 marks)
    i know that for me pass i must achieve 40 marks in each paper. but suppose that i fail the exam again and pass in the C.A with 55 marks..i know i will be limited with 40 x 40 % marks = 16 % + 34 marks from the exam first attempt =20.4% = total 36.4 OVERALL

Do you think that i can pass even receive 36.4 overall ???
    because the limit minimum >35 to 39 < to pass by compensate, and i will still there between with 36.4 .... but i`m not in the first seat

Do you think that is possible ?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

bbbbb1 wrote: »
    Please let me know :

I failed one module in the end of year (3 year ) between 11 modules ,and I sat down to the repeat C.A and the repeat Exam already.( my first exam i have got just 34 marks)
    i know that for me pass i must achieve 40 marks in each paper. but suppose that i fail the exam again and pass in the C.A with 55 marks..i know i will be limited with 40 x 40 % marks = 16 % + 34 marks from the exam first attempt =20.4% = total 36.4 OVERALL

Do you think that i can pass even receive 36.4 overall ???
    because the limit minimum >35 to 39 < to pass by compensate, and i will still there between with 36.4 .... but i`m not in the first seat

Do you think that is possible ?

Talk to your lecturer & course coordinator, I'm struggling to make sense of what you've written.

It depends on the module, if you've got over 40 overall (between the exam and continuous assessment) you'll have passed. If you're required to pass both components then you could be in trouble. The grade is capped at 40 after it's corrected so if you got 50 overall you still get 40.

• Advertisement

Please can you clarify this ( if you've got over 40 overall (between the exam and continuous assessment) you'll have passed )

On my 1 Year in ( IS Management 1 ) NOTE that i should repeat the Assgnment again C.A ( first sitting 38 marks only,but i decide try only the exam )

my ( repeat exam marks 48 ) 48 x 60 % = 28.8 overall + 15.2% of 38 marks = 44 % overall, but limited to 40 % by the rules .... limited to 40 marks even if the student got 90 marks in the repeat paper. 40 x 60 % = 24 % overall + 38 x 40 % = 15.2 % + 24 % = 39.2% Overall

( until i know there is not compensate for 2 sitting ) So what did I pass in this case ? repeat exam marks 48 ? that completed my overall scores ,

this that you mean ? ( if you've got over 40 overall (between the exam and continuous assessment) you'll have passed .

Please let know because i wait my result come out in few days from repeat exams of 1 subject !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 9052

Can you compensate and carry a fail from the same year... one subject 35 % and one 30% ?

Yes u can be compesate if your Overall are between <35 to 39% > only , but if you fail until 2 modules you can carry them to next year !!

Advertisement