Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I appear to be having a problem!

Options
  • 28-06-2009 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Ok, first post here.

Since getting in my new Eircom connection 2 weeks ago I've been having problems with my DSL, it just seems to go off and on when ever it pleases! I'm using the Netopia router if that helps my case but I have it wired up, not wireless.

I had Eircom roughly about 4 years ago too and the same problem kept occuring. At one point the DSL had been down for almost a month straight!.. Now usually this wouldn't bother me but my parents are threataning to get rid of it! And since getting the connection playing Xbox Live has never been better for me since having the crappy 3G USB modem.

I also have another question on my mind regarding Xbox Live.

-When the DSL is ok and I turn on my Xbox, the DSL suddenly goes down and the internet light flashed red! I usually have to wait 5 minutes then everything is normal again and I can sign into Xbox live..

I would ring up Eircom support but we all know what help they are!

So I guess my question is; What should I do? Can anyone help me with either question?

*Also, I'm not too sure if this is in the right forum. So my apologizes if it's not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Open up http://192.168.1.254 in a browser and see what speed you're synced at. What package are you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Swizzlstick

Speed is at 512/288 (kbps)

I'm not sure by what you man by package.
    But I'm on the 7MB/S speed with Unlimited downloads if that's what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Their is no way you should be on a 7Mb package if you can only sync at 512/288

What are your line stats? SNR margin etc.

I'm not too sure what exactly you people are talking about so I'll just show you a picture of what I hope you're looking for.

untitled.jpg?t=1246219601

Yep, save yourself 15 euro a month and downgrade to the 1Mb package.

Have you got more than one phone in the house or any phones without filters on them?

• Advertisement

ro2 wrote: »
    Yep, save yourself 15 euro a month and downgrade to the 1Mb package.

Have you got more than one phone in the house or any phones without filters on them?

But that can't be good for online play right?

It's fine. Gaming doesn't use much bandwidth, latency is the main problem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

But that can't be good for online play right?

With an attenuation of 63 dB there's not much choice. How far do you live your exchange?

I don't mean to sound rude.
    But can any of you answer my original question about DSL?
    Or will I just have to downgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The solution eircon has to high errors / bad copper is to just use high interleaving and that results in your latency going through the roof which is bad for gaming.

We can answer your questions when you give us the full information!

On that screen you posted click on expert mode (Yes to stupid question following) then click Statistics > DSL and tell us the SNR margin / post a screen shot of that page.

BTW yes you should downgrade if you have tried the suggestions above, remove all phones from the line, plugged the modem in directly to the master (first) socket in the house and then rebooted.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I don't mean to sound rude.
    But can any of you answer my original question about DSL?
    Or will I just have to downgrade?

Your line is in the region of 5.5km long. Unless you live closer to the exchange and there's instead the possibility of a line fault or bad wiring, then that's it.

The solution eircon has to high errors / bad copper is to just use high interleaving and that results in your latency going through the roof which is bad for gaming.

We can answer your questions when you give us the full information!

On that screen you posted click on expert mode (Yes to stupid question following) then click Statistics > DSL and tell us the SNR margin / post a screen shot of that page.

BTW yes you should downgrade if you have tried the suggestions above, remove all phones from the line, plugged the modem in directly to the master (first) socket in the house and then rebooted.

MC

I'm sorry I can't be of much help as I don't know much about this area of computers. But here is the photo you requesteduntitled-1.jpg?t=1246220900

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I can't see this photo anywhere. Where can I see the line stats or attenuation?

What's the set up with phones in your house? Have you got more than one phone?

I can't see this photo anywhere. Where can I see the line stats or attenuation?

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww203/Swizzlstick/untitled-1.jpg?t=1246220900

What's the set up with phones in your house? Have you got more than one phone?

I have 2 phones.
    But both are obsolete from the Modem.

I have my modem set up as it it shown in the guidelines.

I have 2 phones.

Try unplugging the two phones and plugging the modem into the main socket as MunsterCycling suggested. Then open up the dsl stats and see if they've changed.

Try unplugging the two phones and plugging the modem into the main socket as MunsterCycling suggested. Then open up the dsl stats and see if they've changed.
    Well there comes a problem.
    Where the computer is situation now is the only place it can be used.
    So I guess pretty much I'm screwed, I'll just have to look for a new ISP I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Your SNR is 1.8dB, and attn is 63.5dB, there's no way eircom should have sold you 7Mbps as there isn't a hope in hell your line can do it. Drop to the cheapest available, and that might help with the disconnects. If it doesn't, then there's probably not a lot you (or anyone) can do.

Changing ISP won't help, unless you go to a non-DSL provider (wireless or cable). ADSL2+ might help, but with those stats, not a lot.

Maybe it's 5mb.. I'm not exactly sure!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

eircom only do 1, 2, 3, 7 & 7.6, no 5Mbps.

jor el wrote: »
    eircom only do 1, 2, 3, 7 & 7.6, no 5Mbps.
    Balls..
    Is there anywhere I can find out without having to ring Eircom?

The bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Normally the upload speed is a good indication of your package with eircom. Bets on you are on the 3Mb package. Put your router on the main cable for the phone (if that makes sense). I found that unplugging everything else did not really help as I lost DSL sync. Best thing is to put DSL filters on the end of all connections, including your sky box and then unplug them. Then test.

As you say you cannot move the location of PC, you could try wireless by buying a cheap wireless adapter for your PC and turning on wireless on router to test.

Do not assume that the noise is all outside problems. It may be inside your house. This is basic stuff that eircom will ask you to do, although they do ask you to connect directly and turn off wireless. Rule out everything before requesting an engineer.

Can you get your hands on another router to rule it out. Eircom will probably send you one but you could speed up the process by asking to borrow a neighbours one. Finally, how is your neighbours eircom broadband. Ask them to run speedtest.net. It is disliked here as unreliable but since everyone uses it, it becomes a good benchmark for general comparison.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You have a disastrous line and should never have been on the the 7Mb product in the first place.

It is very important to remember that every line is unique and in addition there are external factors too to be taken into consideration - for example dsl deteriorates the further you are away from the exchange. The faster the speed you are on the greater the pressure on your line.

Ideally you need an snr above 10 - when it goes below 10 its then that you are liable for disconnects.

It is very important even if you do downgrade to check what if anything is connecting to your telephone line. Anything thats connected must have a filter on it.

To give you a recent example of what can affect a line. Earlier this week I was up with a friend of mine who has been having problems since Eircom increased the speeds a while back. I happened to ask him if there were any connections elsewhere and then he told me there was a phone in the bedroom that he hadnt used for about 20 years but when we looked it was still connected. Simply unplugging it took the Snr from under 10 to over 20 and all his problems were solved. So it is not always Eircoms fault when there are problems.

More information:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

Check everything you can in the house that might be affecting your wiring. Try not to be so impatient:) I think your best bet if you cannot find anything wrong internally would be to downgrade to the 1Mb product and see how your line behaves and what the stats are. then if things stablise you could push upwards maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm having problems it seems with my connection, as I get network timeouts when I try to access www.photobucket.com or any links to it.

I can't see those stats but I'm going to take a wild guess and say that they're pretty bad.:pac: IF the package turns out to be 7.6 mbps (though the upload means it has to be either 7.6 or 3 mbps), then someone in eircom really sold a pig in a poke. Very bad form on eircom's part if this is the case.

But I'd actually suspect a moderate line fault is the cause here. Because eircom and resellers are all fairly mindful of the measured attenuation, it's possible that DSL was ordered with no fault present. Also, the connection could have been done on a faulty line card.

Remember folks, most modems follow the G.992.1 spec to the bones and don't measure attenuation beyond 63.5 dB. ADSL2 connections are different I believe.

Could someone post the upload attenuation and signal margin on my behalf?

As for advice OP, well the other posters seem to be doing a good enough job of that:D. But I think, save of clearly damaged or corroded internal wiring or joints, that there's nothing that can be done by Swizzlstick to make the line meaningfully better. Attenuation isn't influenced by electrical noise of any sort and the modem is recording a MINIMUM of 63.5 dB attenuation.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I have 2 phones.

When you say they are 'obsolete' from the modem what exactly do you mean?

Are they in use? Do you have filters on them?

Please please answer the questions that posters are putting to you and try what people are asking.

There is no point in coming on here and asking questions if you are not prepared to take the advice of posters.

Otherwise you are wasting our time.

For example in spite of several people asking you still haven't told us if the phones are plugged in.

Advertisement