Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which course offers better options for progression

• 28-06-2009 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭

LM095 Bachelor of Technology (Education) in Materials & Engineering Technology

LM073 Bachelor of Engineering Mechanical Engineering

Could anyone that is doing one of the above courses give an opinion on which of the above courses offer the better career options

Also Can you enter either of the above course in 2nd or 3rd year if you have certain qualifications and what would they be

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I know a few people who have done Mech Eng. Most are doing postgrads next year and one just got a job with ESB.

There is a way of entering into 2nd year, but the Dept of Mechanical Engineering will have more info than anyone here can give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭B1977

What would the difference between the above two courses ,If you complete the course in LIT can you transfer to UL ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

B1977 wrote: »
    What would the difference between the above two courses ,If you complete the course in LIT can you transfer to UL ?

If you finish Mech eng in LIT (level 7 course i think) you can apply to transfer into 3rd year of the UL Mech eng course to get a level 8 degree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭TheKnowledge

I've just finished Mech Eng and I highly recommend you choose it. It is very similar to Aeronautical Engineering and Biomedical engineers, but Mech Engs can do the job of both which opens the oppertunity for working in several sectors. Bios and Aeros usually only work as bios and aeros. In todays economic climate diversity is a great advantage.

Over your other choice Mech Eng is far more recognised and the money to be made at the end is far greater! Also, if you're interested in doing a postgrad, UL has plenty of oppertunities, Stokes in UL takes on mech eng postgrads every year and usually fund them themselves with a goal of making you a Dr.

If you have the points for UL go to UL. Going the back door route via LIT is hard work, I know some transferees who did it and they had to work very hard to keep up.

Mech Eng is one of the toughest and most respected courses in UL and prides itself on only letting people graduate who deserve to graduate. They design the course to shake off people who aren't good enough within the first 2yrs. If you choose Mech Eng be prepared to work. That said, its a very interesting course and if you study for 5wks out of the 15wk term you'll do well.

But thats just my opinion, look into the course content or call into the Dept. office in the Lonsdale Building if you've a specific question.

Enjoy UL

Advertisement