Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Craughwell like?

Options
  • 28-06-2009 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I am thinking of moving to Craugwell. Can anyone tell me what the area is like?
    I would be commuting to Galway City. How is the drive at 8am and back at 5pm?
    Also are there any bus services to Galway city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

geem wrote: »
    I am thinking of moving to Craugwell. Can anyone tell me what the area is like?
    I would be commuting to Galway City. How is the drive at 8am and back at 5pm?
    Also are there any bus services to Galway city?

Why Craughwell?
    Not sure what the bus services are like from there but Athenry is handy. Train services and bus services. and a 20min drive if you need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Athenry will be better than Craughwell when the M6 opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Jaysus, Tuam would be better than Craughwell. There is a bus every hour in the morning out of the town to Galway and back in the evening. Hear you can get a three bedroom house in the town for around €90k. Not to be sniffed at!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Craughwell has good bus connections with the city, Bus Eireann & Citylink will stop there, as will the private commuter buses, but if you're unlucky you'll get wet, there's no bus shelter. It's soon to have a rail connection to the city too, whenever the WRC opens. The new road could change the bus route though, whenever that opens. At the minute, cars just whizz through the place 24/7 but that will hopefully change.

There's a coupla pubs, a takeaway, a small supermarket, a large petrol station, a good all-weather pitch, and a GAA pitch. It'll probably benefit from the decrease in traffic when the new road opens, they might be able to improve parking in the town. Not a bad place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

Hi all. Thanks for the replies. I have a particular interest in Craughwell so am grateful for any information I can get.
    I am not into pubs, nightlife, etc so lack of such doesn't bother me.
    What I am mainly worried about is the transport system, how long it takes to get into the city and also, I forgot to mention in my original post, whether broadband is available.

Thanks all, Geem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Brouhaha

geem wrote: »
    how long it takes to get into the city

The commuter bus (Healy's) leaves Loughrea at 8:00 and gets to Craughwell at about 8:15. As it uses the bus lane into Galway it reliably gets to Eyre Square at about 8:50 and NUIG at 9:00. They also have buses at 7:40 and 9:10 from Loughrea I think.

For the return journey it leaves the top of Eyre Square at 4:10, 5:10 and 6:10. It can get caught in traffic coming out of the city but usually gets to Craughwell in under 50 minutes.

There is also a Bus Éireann bus in the morning that stops in Craughwell at 8:15. There are Bus Éireann buses every hour to and from Galway (timetable here).

There are also CityLink buses but not early enough for commuters.

Thanks a million Brouhaha for that information, I think the bus sounds like a good bet for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

From what I can gather, broadband is available. Friend of mine living in the area got it installed recently and says that it is okay if a little bit slow. Best of luck on your move

Thanks a million I think I will be going ahead with it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RyanAsh

whats craughwell like to live in now that its been by-passed. Looking at buying out the country but would be like to be close to a village (a mile or so) and there are some places near Craughwell but I dont know the village at all.....had heard bad things when the traffic was bad but now that its bypassed i'd be interested to know if people would recommend living there. Would just like somewhere close to pop to for the shop, a drink, takeaway...that kinda thing, a bit of community spirit as well you know, stuff going on whether its GAA or otherwise. thanks

• Advertisement

been through there a dozen times or so since the m6 opened and it has made a huge difference to the volume of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

I love living in Craughwell and we've been there about 6 years - we're just 3 miles from the village, in the country!
    The village itself is not that exciting but it has all the essentials. There's a Topaz garage with a full shop and off-licence, a chemist, a chipper, a church (of course!!) and a couple of pubs. And if you need anything other than that Loughrea is only a few minutes away.

The traffic is much better since the bypass opened. You don't really meet any traffic in the morning until you get to the Galway Clinic roundabout - where the N6 and motorway meet. And coming home in the evening can be busy - just getting out of the city and past Ballybrit but then you fly the rest of the way.

If you want anything more specific you can pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kqcregg

Agree totally with Bubbaloo. Living outside the village for last 8 years and apart from the flood last year it is has been all good. They are currently trying to get a playground sorted as well.

Daily traffic is definitely a breeze compared to the past.

Don't forget we have a tyre centre now as well :D. Seems to be a fit out going on in one of the vacant units beside Cheevers too. Anyone know what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

kqcregg wrote: »

Don't forget we have a tyre centre now as well :D.

Ha Ha :D Forgot about that one. And yesterday on the way home I remembered the Natural Gas showrooms - very important too ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

There's athenry as an alternative, has a lot more in the place ie more pubs, supermarkets etc and still in the country and right beside the motorway as well

• Registered Users Posts: 38 redbedhead

Hi All,

We've just moved to just outside Craughwell.
    What`s the verdict on waste collection services? We recycle a lot, with minimum landfill, so don't like being ripped off for a bin we don't use.
    What are the options. Dragging a bin from the side road to the main road is a joke too, but we didn't ask (and weren't told) beforehand.

Not many options. Moran waste is local but you are looking at around €300 per year for their 2 bin system - alternate recycle / landfill week on week. Others mentioned by Galway County Council are:

"A segregated waste collection service for dry recyclables and landfill waste is currently provided in the Craughwell Area by three private operators (Barna Waste Ltd, Rural Refuse & Recycling and Moran Refuse Servicesfor domestic and commercial waste."

PS: Welcome to Craughwell

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Hi redbedhead, we moved to Craughwell (half a mile down a side road) 5 years ago. we were with Morans and had to bring the bin up to the main road. Then when I was pregnant on my third and my husband was a way abit there was no way I could manage the bin, and the two little fellas wandering up to the main road in the dark (stormy) winter months. My husband got on to County Council and they put us in touch with Rural Refuse and Recycling who agreed to travel down our road if a few more houses signed up... they were very agreeable on the matter (Morans had basically said it was our problem - told me to get a 'hitch' on my car and drive it up). We're on a pay by weight system for the landfill which is fine with us. Give them a call, its nearly four years since we started using them but we've had plain sailing ever since.

kqcregg wrote: »
    Not many options. Moran waste is local but you are looking at around €300 per year for their 2 bin system - alternate recycle / landfill week on week. Others mentioned by Galway County Council are:

"A segregated waste collection service for dry recyclables and landfill waste is currently provided in the Craughwell Area by three private operators (Barna Waste Ltd, Rural Refuse & Recycling and Moran Refuse Servicesfor domestic and commercial waste."

PS: Welcome to Craughwell

Where on the Galway Country Council site is that kqcregg? I'm looking at changign but don't know which providers service my area

Hi DaCor. I just googled "Craughwell Refuse Collection" and got the info in the Local Area Action Plan for Craughwell Village. If you are in/near a village it should have a local plan and reference refuse disposal therein.

• Advertisement

ah ok, sound

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

You could just buy the bags as you go, blue bags for plastic and cans, white bags for paper, they are 2.50 each and you leave them where you would leave the bins (so if you have to travel up to the main road for collection), if you have minimum non recycled waste there'd be no point buying a bin for that surely? The green bags for non recycled waste are 5 euro each.

Not really, I live out in the countryside, so badgers / foxes etc would have the bags torn to bits

• Registered Users Posts: 38 redbedhead

Thanks for the replies guys! Have a good weekend:D

Advertisement