Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Benefit reduction confirmed...

Options
  • 28-06-2009 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

So it's definately gonna happen then. Mary Hanafin confirmes that the Government are taxing or means testing the Child Benefit.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0628/hanafinm.html

Well that's a lot of us f****d then. I know when the first Tuesday of every month rolls around, my child benefit for two children has already been earmarked since pretty much the first Wednesdy of the previous month. Reducing it AT ALL is gonna mess up so many people.

What are your thoughts??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

MILF wrote: »
    So it's definately gonna happen then. Mary Hanafin confirmes that the Government are taxing or means testing the Child Benefit.

Well that's a lot of us f****d then. I know when the first Tuesday of every month rolls around, my child benefit for two children has already been earmarked since pretty much the first Wednesdy of the previous month. Reducing it AT ALL is gonna mess up so many people.

What are your thoughts??

I know, I know.......the whole thing is messed up. I would glady take a hit in my dole, I would settle for 66% of what the going rate is and not touch the child benefit.

On a broader note, the entire thing is quite messed up, mired in bureaucracy and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

What are your thoughts??

how will this be managed? I dread to think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

What are your thoughts??

I think that's fair enough, at the moment it doesn't make sense that millionaire parents, company directors, etc get exactly the same rate as, for example, a jobless couple or with 1 parent working minimum wage and the other on welfare who need it more. What's the problem with means testing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Wasn't this flagged at the last budget? Nothing new here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I would imagine that taxing it will be the best way of introducing the cuts. Its fair enough when you think about it. The higher earners get a 41% cut, middle earners lose 20% and low earners and unemployed stay the same.

IT going to be rough for everyone but at least the pain will be felt in accordance to the peoples income. It was never fair that people who earned 200k a year got the same child benefit as some on 20k.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

If its means tested and takes away the payment from people with lots of cash, fair enough. But its got to have a mechanism to ensure ordinary people don't get Screwed, I'm ok with it.

If its means tested and takes away the payment from people with lots of cash, fair enough. But its got to have a mechanism to ensure ordinary people don't get Screwed, I'm ok with it.

That's exactly what a means test is afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭MILF

Yep, all good points but its focusing on the high earners and them losing their CB. Taxing it in any way is still gonna hit the people like me who are barely surviving as it is. I rely on the child benefit as do a lot of people in my situation. Why not save money in other areas like stop pumping money into building a stupid bridge shaped like a harp or ridiculous other things that the Government are pissing away their cash on. It drives me mad....

Yep, all good points but its focusing on the high earners and them losing their CB. Taxing it in any way is still gonna hit the people like me who are barely surviving as it is. I rely on the child benefit as do a lot of people in my situation. Why not save money in other areas like stop pumping money into building a stupid bridge shaped like a harp or ridiculous other things that the Government are pissing away their cash on. It drives me mad....

So you are in favour of cuts so long as they don't impact on you.

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    I would imagine that taxing it will be the best way of introducing the cuts. Its fair enough when you think about it. The higher earners get a 41% cut, middle earners lose 20% and low earners and unemployed stay the same.

IT going to be rough for everyone but at least the pain will be felt in accordance to the peoples income. It was never fair that people who earned 200k a year got the same child benefit as some on 20k.

Taxing it would be the simplest option of the two (but perhaps not the fairest - people on 200k would receive the same benefit as someone on 50k).

But there is a third option - abolish it. Put some savings into increased social welfare dependant child payments, put some into measures to support childcare or reduce VAT on goods and services used by parents.

• Advertisement

So you are in favour of cuts so long as they don't impact on you.

Did I once say that? I wasn't in favour of the 1% levy, I wasn't in favour of the medical card fiasco, I wasn't in favour of the dole cut that people living at home got, I wasn't in favour of the reduction of rent allowance for those on it, I certainly wasn't in favour of the cuts being made at Crumlin Childrens Hospital and I'm not in favour of this. But I don't see anything wrong being annoyed at cuts that affect you as a person, surely that makes sense to you?

The samuel beckett bridge cost €10,000,000 (€10 million once off)

The social welfare system costs €21,500,000,000 (€21.5 billion per year)

jape wrote: »
    The samuel beckett bridge cost €10,000,000 (€10 million once off)

The social welfare system costs €21,500,000,000 (€21.5 billion per year)

€10 million that I'm sure could have gone on something better, don't you think? Crumlin Hospital maybe?

€10 million that I'm sure could have gone on something better, don't you think? Crumlin Hospital maybe?

Same argument can be made for child benefit.

You don't think the child benefit money that the Government is paying out is going on something good?? The children?? Do you have kids??

Did I once say that?

Essentially, yes. You say yourself:
    I don't see anything wrong being annoyed at cuts that affect you as a person

Of course its natural to be annoyed. We are all annoyed about cuts. But we have to move beyond being annoyed now and start getting constructive. Your post earlier was just a rant. Doesn't add much to the debate aside from letting off a little steam.

There has to be cuts in Child Benefit. I'm sure you agree. Some where in the region €500 million needs to be saved. I would be interested in hearing what your proposals are. Others have offered theirs here.

You don't think the child benefit money that the Government is paying out is going on something good?? The children?? Do you have kids??

I think the bridge is good. I also think Child Benefit is good, but its far too much because it goes to people who don't need it. I do have kids and the money is very handy, but this untargeted benefit is a luxury we can no longer afford.

There are far better ways for the Government to support parents.

So were not allowed "rant" on here or let off a little steam?

Yes, I agree that cuts need to be made and, yes I think CB would be one of the obvious ones to cut but I just hope they do it the sensible way. For me, I think means testing it is the best way. It will save lots and make the whole thing fairer. My question is now though, what will happen the people who get it taken off them once the recession ends? Sorry if that sounds a little thick but it just baffles me how all the cuts will end up at the end of the recession.

dvpower wrote: »
    I think the bridge is good. I also think Child Benefit is good, but its far too much because it goes to people who don't need it. I do have kids and the money is very handy, but this untargeted benefit is a luxury we can no longer afford.

There are far better ways for the Government to support parents.

I have to say, I agree with this (apart from the bridge!). Point well made!!

Sorry if that sounds a little thick but it just baffles me how all the cuts will end up at the end of the recession.

I think that should be the least of your worries. But even during boom times, child benefit should be means tested. Rich people don't need it now, and they didn't need it in 1999-2007 either.

• Advertisement

The problem with means testing is that, while it is fairer, it does requires a lot of administration. That's a whole pile of new civil servants - money paid to adminitrators, not children.

jape wrote: »
    I think that should be the least of your worries. But even during boom times, child benefit should be means tested. Rich people don't need it now, and they didn't need it in 1999-2007 either.

It's not a worry, its a query and a thought I had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Means test would be a much fairer way. More expensive? Yes, ive no doubt it would be. There are lots of couple who bank this every month and have done since the kids were born as a college fund. I don't have that luxury.

What are we saying though by taxing the CB for people paying minimal tax? We are saying IMO "you would be better off on the dole where you can get all your benefits".

As someone who works damn hard for a living, for the sake of a couple of euro i would almost be better off sitting at home claiming benefits as it is. Tax my CB and you are taking alot of people like me out of the work force. WHY? Because the people on social welfare will be taking home more at the end of the week than i am.

Yes i'm worried but, it will be what it will be and life will go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The bridge will bring in far more money through the extra retail business it allows in the area, and alleviating traffic in the city centre. It'll go down on the books as a once off payment with a long term pay back.

Money spent on social welfare disappears without any pay back (apart from intangibles). The bridge is a bad example.

I wouldn't agree with means testing, as it creates extra bureaucracy, easier to scam, and will bring up lots of unfair scenarios.

Taxing sounds about the best way to do it.

This should also be brought about with a similar reduction in social welfare.

For us to balance the books, we will all have to pay, taxing "the rich" (i.e. anyone but me) too much, may end up reducing our tax take.

So were not allowed "rant" on here or let off a little steam?

Well there is always the Ranting & Raving forum....

Ah no of course you can. Its always upsetting to get news that your income will be cut and I probably came across as unsympathetic. I thinks it awful that people like you will see there incomes being cut. Its the byproduct of a series of bad decisions made over the past 10 years by our leaders. Now everyone from the elderly to middle income earners to special need children will feel the chill. Its an awful shame.

Now there's my rant over too..

themadchef wrote: »
    Means test would be a much fairer way. More expensive? Yes, ive no doubt it would be.

I would worry about the logistics of the mean test. Would it require extra staff in the Dept of Social Welfare? At a time when we are looking to cut back on PS numbers would this be feasible?

I take on the point of means testing be more equitable. There certainly is the potential to create welfare traps under a taxed scheme.

I take on the point of means testing be more equitable. There certainly is the potential to create welfare traps under a taxed scheme.

There is a dependant child allowance paid to welfare recipients. I think its €26 p/w. This could be reduced by an amount equivalent to the standard rate tax on CB. This would mitigate the welfare trap problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 graciebaby

themadchef wrote: »
    As someone who works damn hard for a living, for the sake of a couple of euro i would almost be better off sitting at home claiming benefits as it is. Tax my CB and you are taking alot of people like me out of the work force. WHY? Because the people on social welfare will be taking home more at the end of the week than i am.

I work full time and I have two kids, neither of whom qualify for the free preschool place in January, and I pay a lot of money in childcare each month. My c.benefit helped me to cover some of this expense- I'm already put to the pin of my collar to pay bills with all the new levies etc, even taxing the C.B. will add further pressure.

Loosing c.benefit will mean that I would be better off at home, receiving social welfare payments, instead of working- and I'm sure I won't be alone in thinking that. Where is the incentive to work?

graciebaby wrote: »
    Loosing c.benefit will mean that I would be better off at home, receiving social welfare payments, instead of working- and I'm sure I won't be alone in thinking that. Where is the incentive to work?

The touted upcoming reduction in social welfare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

For those who are working, the incentive to work when social welfare is "so high" is difficult to understand.

But once you've spent 8 months at home, bored out of your mind, surviving but worrying constantly about money, hearing nothing back from your many job applications, yet thankful that you now qualify for the medical card so that you can afford the anti-depressants you now need to keep your head above water.... you'd do anything to be working.

There are certainly those who only look at the financial side of things. But earning a living has benefits beyond the monetary.

(Dearie me, forum moderator went a bit off topic there. Carry on then.)

Advertisement