Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Benefit reduction confirmed...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭MILF

Child benefit is too much, as are all benefits! The money should be givin to people in the form of free education and training, free broadband, medical card for under 16's etc. If you take the major costs out of having children instead of giving a monetry reward the country would be much better off!!

So you're saying to me that the €230 I get each week is too much for me to pay bills, rent, food, school costs, running a car & clothing me and my two children? You're saying the Government should give me free broadband, education, training and a medical card for my two kids and nothing else? No money to feed them, clothe them and keep a roof over their head?

Real sensible, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

No a small monetry payment also for basics such as food a shelter.
    Im afraid your going to find this hard to swallow but if you cant afford children you shouldnt have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

For me the child benefit should be cut off for those who don't desrve it. Too many peope are abusing it. The government should take into consideration for those who are poor. There are so many parents abusing it by taking that money to enjoy themselves, holidays, shopping, having 3 coffees in coffee shop everyday with all the mothers. Go to Butlers coffee shop in swords, you would see how many mothers with buggies are there, having cofffee/cakes and also yapping for two/three hours. It has to stop. Also if you can't afford to feed a child, don't make any.

Im afraid your going to find this hard to swallow but if you cant afford children you shouldnt have them.

Yeah, I thought you would say something as brilliant as that. I was a hard working mother of two who was never, ever on any social welfare payment before. I could afford to have children, so I did. Now everythings gone tits up, I had to turn to the Government for help. In doing this, it has made me suffer financially. Should I give up my kids now that I can't "afford" them? People like you, who say crap like that, make me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

I dont think you fully understand my point.
    Which was to take the major costs out of raising a child, for everyone, without monetry handouts!

This would do two things;
    1- stop knackers having children as a means of financial gain
    2- take the financial burden of having children away from the parents, no matter what the state of the economy. So in other words when things go 'tits up' your children will not be adversly affected. You may be, but they wont!

Children are the future after all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

MILF wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought you would say something as brilliant as that. I was a hard working mother of two who was never, ever on any social welfare payment before. I could afford to have children, so I did. Now everythings gone tits up, I had to turn to the Government for help. In doing this, it has made me suffer financially. Should I give up my kids now that I can't "afford" them? People like you, who say crap like that, make me sick.

if you have been working all your life and have two kids you should be entitled to a lot more than 230e a week are you sure your claiming for everything? with your stamp alone as a single person you would be close to 230 then two kids should be a lot more.

if your not i'd go to your local releaving officer and have a chat.

ntlbell wrote: »
    if you have been working all your life and have two kids you should be entitled to a lot more than 230e a week are you sure your claiming for everything? with your stamp alone as a single person you would be close to 230 then two kids should be a lot more.

if your not i'd go to your local releaving officer and have a chat.

Aw tell me about it!! I thought I was entitled to way more but I was out of the country for 2 years and my stamps were affected apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

If they are going to tax it who pays the tax ????

A seperated couple for example - who gets taxed?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

jenzz wrote: »
    If they are going to tax it who pays the tax ????

A seperated couple for example - who gets taxed?

I imagine the one in receipt of it?

Take the mother for example

Her wages + maintenance + any social benifit if it' more than the threshold tax what goes over?

or something

I think it should just be means tested and then do away it for everyone else

handiest thing to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

If I could be so blunt as to fill you in on a matter of simple economics: when I was on the Benefit, my benefit was spent on RENT, which was spent in turn by my landlord on her mortgage, which was part of the building trade, which was keeping EVERYONE in a job. OK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i would think means testing would be too expensive to run ,taxing it is probably the cheapest and quickest way to reduce the cost of child benefit.maybe there will be in an income limit for people on huge incomes(say €75,000+) and the rest be taxed?
    for the people who are complaining about parents wasting the CB,maybe the government could introduce something similar to food stamps(buy childrens clothes and shoes using vouchers instead of cash) probably be huge admin tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 cashew

The problem is that for many people their financial situation has simply changed, and there is nothing they can do about it! Either they have lost jobs, taken cuts in wages, have less hours! many people, my own family included, seemed fairly well off a few years ago, bought a house, etc, and now are struggling to make ends meet! The child benefit now goes into our monthly bills pot to feed, clothe us and put a roof over our heads. My family has already been hit hard, as have many others, by the removal of early childcare supplement and increased levies, we have already cut down our expenditure as much as we can, and if the child benefit is taken too (which it would be if it was means tested because our income would probably suggest that we can afford to lose it!) I am not sure how we would manage. The prospect of losing our home, or not being able to pay our electric bills, etc would be a real possibility!
    Quite apart from all of that - the child benefit is the only way that the state supports families. It is a universal payment and should stay that way!
    There is something you can do about all of this - there is a pressure group that has been set up by a group of concerned mums at www.childbenefit.info - please log on and sign the petition and join the facebook group to try to stop them taking this money from our kids!

ntlbell wrote: »
    I imagine the one in receipt of it?

Take the mother for example

Her wages + maintenance + any social benifit if it' more than the threshold tax what goes over?

or something

I think it should just be means tested and then do away it for everyone else

handiest thing to do

Thanks. I thought so. Problem here is the childrens allow has & is being used as a battering ram in maintenance payments.... Oh you get the kiddies allowance so i pay you less every month. He uses the goverment to discount his kiddies payments so sod him TAX him! Because to be honest I would gladly swap the measly weekly payment instead of being responsible for playing stretchy stretchy with it.

Sorry rant over.. At the end of the day its the kids who will suffer. Like every other mother in the country books & uniforms bills are in & they are horrific this year. I heard there is a grant out there ( which is means tested) I dont get it but it would be €20 off each bill.

Thanks. I thought so. Problem here is the childrens allow has & is being used as a battering ram in maintenance payments.... Oh you get the kiddies allowance so i pay you less every month. He uses the goverment to discount his kiddies payments so sod him TAX him! Because to be honest I would gladly swap the measly weekly payment instead of being responsible for playing stretchy stretchy with it.

Sorry rant over.. At the end of the day its the kids who will suffer. Like every other mother in the country books & uniforms bills are in & they are horrific this year. I heard there is a grant out there ( which is means tested) I dont get it but it would be €20 off each bill.

Slightly off topic, but I never know why they are allowed to continually change the books used, thus preventing hand-me-downs of the books from one kid to the other. Its plain wrong.

Yes, kids will lose out. I already said that I would gladly volunteer some of my J.A. {along with everyone else, of course} so long as the wrong people dont get fleeced.

Child Benefit is payable to all mothers in the State, irrespective of their social and financial standing. Its a well known fact that Mrs Smurfit used to joke about collecting it all up and spending it on a pair of shoes.

IT Loser wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but I never know why they are allowed to continually change the books used, thus preventing hand-me-downs of the books from one kid to the other. Its plain wrong.

Yes, kids will lose out. I already said that I would gladly volunteer some of my J.A. {along with everyone else, of course} so long as the wrong people dont get fleeced.

Child Benefit is payable to all mothers in the State, irrespective of their social and financial standing. Its a well known fact that Mrs Smurfit used to joke about collecting it all up and spending it on a pair of shoes.

I dont know if this has been mentioned.I would do local community work in part payment for it. You always see tenders out for grass cutters, maintencance people etc I would gladly give up some hours every week to clean my town or help the elderly or whatever they want.
    & I know so many people who are now unemployed due to no fault of their own have tried to get involved in their communities but cannot as there is no body or authority that will allow this.
    Im about to lose my job so I honestly dont know how I will survive. KVI beans is a common phrase here at the moment.. Dont take the last guaranteed funds away from the children.

I dont know if this has been mentioned.I would do local community work in part payment for it. You always see tenders out for grass cutters, maintencance people etc I would gladly give up some hours every week to clean my town or help the elderly or whatever they want.
    & I know so many people who are now unemployed due to no fault of their own have tried to get involved in their communities but cannot as there is no body or authority that will allow this.
    Im about to lose my job so I honestly dont know how I will survive. KVI beans is a common phrase here at the moment.. Dont take the last guaranteed funds away from the children.

I would do the same. I mean, I used to do all that sort of work in my housing estate when I was a kid- cut the grass for £5, wash your windows for £4. Now thats all tendered out as you say. If you rob the kids....they will rob you, in due course. Thats been proven. I would actually settle for €140. I dont need the money, I need a few quid to get my legs back...allow me to leave the house. I am terrified to say anything of course to the officials in case they actually dont give me anything out of spite.

Anyways.......my advice to the mothers out there would be to get their financial house in order to try and mitigate the damage this will do. They need maybe to re-arrange things, work fewer hours if they are working.

IT Loser wrote: »
    I would do the same. I mean, I used to do all that sort of work in my housing estate when I was a kid- cut the grass for £5, wash your windows for £4. Now thats all tendered out as you say. If you rob the kids....they will rob you, in due course. Thats been proven. I would actually settle for €140. I dont need the money, I need a few quid to get my legs back...allow me to leave the house. I am terrified to say anything of course to the officials in case they actually dont give me anything out of spite.

Anyways.......my advice to the mothers out there would be to get their financial house in order to try and mitigate the damage this will do. They need maybe to re-arrange things, work fewer hours if they are working.

Well this is it - Im going to be unemployed shortly.But will put my money on them means testing it on Tax year 2007 or whatever they decide. They never seem to means test based on your current situation always on the past when it was all rosy & there was husbands & mansions & multi incomes.
    Why doesnt the Government ever look @ plan B rather than bulldosing in?

Well this is it - Im going to be unemployed shortly.But will put my money on them means testing it on Tax year 2007 or whatever they decide. They never seem to means test based on your current situation always on the past when it was all rosy & there was husbands & mansions & multi incomes.
    Why doesnt the Government ever look @ plan B rather than bulldosing in?

Because Politicians dont live in the real world. You dont need to look too far back to see this: Charles J Haughey telling us all to "tighten our belts", as his got looser all the while.

Advertisement