Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aeronautical Engineering in UL

Options
  • 28-06-2009 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hi All,

Delighted to say that I have been accepted as a Mature Student in Aeronautiocal Engineering at UL :D

It's 5 years since I've done any kind of Maths.

What would people recommend here to do over the summer so I can be prepared when September comes?

Also would anyone have an idea of a booklist for First year?

Any help appreciated.

Andrew

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭giveliberty

There is a good Maths Learning Centre in UL. They will be there to assist in any difficulties you may encounter through your study. To read up on their service click here.

You should contact the Students' Union who should have a list of Maths Grind people you can contact. Just get an indicative module list with breakdown of what will be studied and you could agree a study syllabus with the tutor. The tutor should also be aware of the regular problems encountered by the course students.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

I'm a mature student too, doing electronic engineering, and maths was the hardest part of first year for me. I'd recommend brushing up on your leaving cert maths over the summer, especially Integration, Differentiation, and Trigonometry.
    Its very daunting at first, but it gets manageable. Good luck!

If your willing to put some more hardcore work in.
    I'd recommend K.A Strouds Engineering Maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 conbre

My brother qaulified last year, he is home tmw, will get some info off him and let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Thanks for the info so far.

Bought Text and Test 4 and have just being going through it.
    I forgot how tough on the brain it is :D

Anyone on here that did first year recently looking to sell second hand books?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭joey12

hey I'm in Aero in 3rd yr.

First of all, first yr was relatively ok, nothing crazy hard.

Maths in first yr is differentiation in semester 1 and Integration in semester2. We use a book by Adam think its called Calculus or summit (never got it, never found it useful)

Other modules in first yr are ok but watch out for Engineering Mechanics 1&2 people find these hard. I did applied maths and found is easy in sem1 but more difficult in sem2. May be worth you while getting ur hands on a Applied maths book. But the whole module is based on a book by merriam and kraige prb (theres a lot of editions out there)

But enjoy first its grand, most modules aren't exciting but stick with it second yr is great.

As regards to maths.... Natalia kopteva she does maths in first yr no words can decribe how bad she is..well found her bad, stick with the learning centre!!:D:D

you have any other questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Joey12 - thanks alot for the info.

Was that book by merriam and kraige called Dynamics?

Also do you happen to have any lectures from any of the modules in First Year?

Thanks for the tip on the Calculus book - will prob just borrow it from the Library.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭joey12

yep like if you buy it new you get two books statics and dynamics. You do statics in sem1 with Dr John Jarvis (Legend). and dynamics with noel O’Dowd in sem2.

Advertisement