Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Sim Unlock Code??

• 28-06-2009 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi there...

My mates given me his old Samsung Tocco which was on the Vodafone network (he's been given a new BlackBerry from work and doesnt use the Tocco anymore). However, when I put my vodafone sim into it, its asking for a Sim Unlock code. He never needed one when using his sim in it so has no idea what the code might be. He was bill pay, I am pay as you go. Is this the problem?

Anyone got any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Hi there...

My mates given me his old Samsung Tocco which was on the Vodafone network (he's been given a new BlackBerry from work and doesnt use the Tocco anymore). However, when I put my vodafone sim into it, its asking for a Sim Unlock code. He never needed one when using his sim in it so has no idea what the code might be. He was bill pay, I am pay as you go. Is this the problem?

Anyone got any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance.

If you're both Vodafone customers then I imagine the "Sim Unlock code" you are being requested for is referring to handset's security code; if you're not aware, it is an additional security code that appears when any sim is entered into a handset and can be changed by the user. The default Samsung security code is 00000000, if your friend has not changed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Nallandnanyways

Hey thanks for the swift reply. Ive tried 00000000 but to no avail. My mate does not remember ever being asked for it nor changing it. :confused:

Any other suggestions or ideas??

TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'd have thought that ment the phone is network locked but not sure.

Have you put the wrong PIN in 3 times? Might it be a roundabout way of asking for the PUK code?

Was the phone definitely used with a Vodafone IE SIM before and you definitely have a Vodafone IE SIM?

Hey,

Yep, definitely a Vodafone bill pay IE SIM previously and a Vodafone pre-pay IE SIM now.

Also, its definitely not an error with PIN input. It asks for "SIM Unlock code" and allows unlimited attempts at same. Ive tried about 15 different codes (none of which have worked obv) but the phone/SIM has not been locked as would happen with 3 invalid PIN attempts.

:confused:

Do you have access to another Vodafone SIM just to make sure it's not yours?
    Do you have access to your mates SIM again to see if that works in it?

• Advertisement

Tried that. Stuck his SIM back in but was not asked for a SIM Unlock Code. I then tried to disable the SIM lock option through the Privacy Settings but was unable to do so, not knowing the code.

Dont have access to another 087 SIM right now, so cannot try that. I dont imagine it will make any difference though, as the problem seems to be that the handset is locked to the old SIM...?

I would suggest you send it away to have the code reset. Try someone like www.mprc.ie. They may require proof of purchase / ownership.

Give it a day or two and see if anyone here knows and then go with sending it away I think.

Ok, well thanks for taking the time to lend your assistance. All the best :)

I spoke with Samsung and they confirmed that the phone is locked to the original SIM card and would need to be "re-flashed" by "their engineers" at a cost of €25 + P&P. I politely declined their offer.

This can be done in any run-of-the-mill telecoms shop for a tenner, right? Can it be done online, does anyone know??

Thanks again.

Anyone know if and where a phone can be unlocked online?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Thanks Justin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I would check out that website before i jump in head first!!

Advertisement