Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental property not registered with PRTB & no rent book

Options
  • 28-06-2009 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The property I've been renting for the last year is not registred with the Private Residential Tenancies Board and I have no rent book. I have requested both situations to be sorted out with my letting agent by letter and I've had no response.

I'm assuming the landlord is evading his tax.

What recourse do I have legally? I can only send so many letters.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

prtb registration is a completely different thing to tax evasion (in fact, the fact they are using an agency, probably means they are paying tax, as the fees would be deductable).

His tax is none of your business (unless he lives abroad, then you must keep the tax), your issue is to get registered with the PRTB. If the landlord/agent don't comply, then ring the PRTB directly and ask them what recourse you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

It doesn't *really* affect you anyway; if you ever had a dispute that needed to be lodged with the PRTB, the fact that your landlord isn't registered makes no difference to you, but makes his life more difficult.

Just register for your tax relief and forget it, as much as we all know they SHOULD be registered, it's not really your responsibility to do anything about it, nor does it necessarily affect you in any negative way.

(Unless I'm missing something?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Main issue is that I cannot claim tax relief without a rent book. The rent book is the main issue, not the PRTB. What should I do about the lack of a rent book aside from asking for it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You don't need a rent book to claim tax relief.

If you do get audited, then the lease or even the amounts leaving your bank accounts should suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

You do not need a rent book to claim tax relief.

The landlord not registered with the PRTB hurts them only and not you.

Means they cannot take a complaint to them but you remain free to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Thanks. Maybe they are mistaken, but according to citizensinformation.ie:

...a receipt for rent you have paid must be provided if and when it is requested by Revenue. This rule applies regardless of whether you pay your rent directly to the landlord or to an agent on behalf of the landlord. Each receipt must show the following:

* Landlord's name, PPS Number and address
    * Amount of rent which you have paid
    * Period of time covered by the receipt.

Until now I had assumed I needed a rent book for the above purpose, but maybe not...

I guess I should just apply for the tax relief and bring any issues up with the letting agent if they arise with the Revenue.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

If revenue ever ask, just say you asked for a rent book and they said no, Revenue will be far more interested in them than you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭applehunter

Just moved into new rented accomodation in last month.

When we asked about lease agreement he scoffed and said "its not worth the paper its written on"

He's also saying he wants to be paid in cash. I said I will only pay by cheque or bank transfer. He took the cheque but the other lads who are foreign dont have cheque books.

Can we insist that he give us his bank account for rent payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Can we insist that he give us his bank account for rent payment?

No but you can insist on a rent book

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭applehunter

And does he need to register with PRTB to get a rent book?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

And does he need to register with PRTB to get a rent book?

No if he doesnt register its better for you anyway in the case of a dispute anyway :)

Advertisement