Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and stuff in Dublin

Options
  • 28-06-2009 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭

My friend and I are going to Bruce in the RDS and I was wondering what would be the best place to park? We are driving back down afterwards so easy access to the car would be a bonus. Only, the two of us have no idea about Dublin! I have been to the Ballsbridge area twice but used Taxi's to get from the train station and the other time, I was with someone who knew their way around.
    I don't even know if this is in the right Dublin sub section!

Any help is much appreciated!

Mars Bar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There's parking in the RDS, also you can park on nearly all the roads around the RDS and it's usually pay and display which is about €1.50 an hour depending.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Trampas

I think it is more than 1.50 an hour. There are roads near by which you will have to pay till either 6 or 7 pm and then free after that.

Places like clyde road

Trampas wrote: »
    I think it is more than 1.50 an hour. There are roads near by which you will have to pay till either 6 or 7 pm and then free after that.

Places like clyde road

Ye you're right actually, just checked the Dublin City Council website and for Ballsbridge it's €2.40 per hour with a maximum allowed parking time of 3 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 IrishCathal2008

I know a few people who park in Tallaght and take the Luas to town.
    Seems like a sensible approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ye you're right actually, just checked the Dublin City Council website and for Ballsbridge it's €2.40 per hour with a maximum allowed parking time of 3 hours.

We don't mind paying for parking!
    I wasn't too sure how the parking situation was around there but if we get there early enough, we shouldn't have too much bother?!
    Would they open up Simmonscourt car park? Last time I was there, Trinity had exams so I don't think they opened it up for the gig...

Thanks for your replies! :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

yes. they usually open simonscourt who big concerts but it fills up very quickly, there are only a small number of spaces.

i think it is €10-12 to park.

you will need to be prepare for about an hour wait to get out of the car park.

there are will also be gardai diversions, so you may not be able to go the direction you want (i learnt this through a bad experience of getting extremely lost in irishtown or somewhere like that - took me hours to get home).

there will be very little parking around the venue even pay and display as the gardai will have closed same off.

your best bet is to get the luas or the dart - it is not worth the hassle of trying to park. i work at the RDS for all the major gigs and events and i can tell you, you have no idea of the pain, if i had the option to get a bus, train or luas i would in no way be driving there

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

yes. they usually open simonscourt who big concerts but it fills up very quickly, there are only a small number of spaces.

i think it is €10-12 to park.

you will need to be prepare for about an hour wait to get out of the car park.

there are will also be gardai diversions, so you may not be able to go the direction you want (i learnt this through a bad experience of getting extremely lost in irishtown or somewhere like that - took me hours to get home).

there will be very little parking around the venue even pay and display as the gardai will have closed same off.

your best bet is to get the luas or the dart - it is not worth the hassle of trying to park. i work at the RDS for all the major gigs and events and i can tell you, you have no idea of the pain, if i had the option to get a bus, train or luas i would in no way be driving there

Thanks!

Must sit down and plan it. We will be going back to Galway after so what direction should we come in? Or from what place should we get the Luas do you think?

Guesinng you'lll be coming in on the M4/N4 so you could park at Heuston Station, get the luas down to Connolly Station and then get a DART from there to Sandymount.

Adult return on the Luas is €2.90 each.
    Adult return on the DART would be under €5 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Adult return on the Luas is €2.90 each.
    Adult return on the DART would be under €5 I'd say.

http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/fares_matrix.php City Centre-Sandymount (station 188 for the Galway ticket clerk) is €4.20 return. You should be able to get a through ticket from Galway to Lansdowne Road / Sandymount, however, make sure that it is not more expensive than separate tickets as the system can be a bit confused.

You could park at Booterstown or Blackrock and get a bus (4/a, 7/a, 45) or DART to Sandymount. Note 24 pay parking in the actual station car parks. Good signage back to the M50, not sure about coming from the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Ballsbridge is hard to get parking in. Best best is to leave as early as possible and park somewhere off Anglesea Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Victor wrote: »
    obviously there is the option of leaving the car at home!

Advertisement