Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combatzone paintballing in Shanagolden

Options
  • 28-06-2009 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Limerick County forum. Basically a group of around 20 of us are planning a trip down to this place in August. there is a package for €60 for 3 hours of paintballing, 1 night accommodation in the Jury's Inn and access to Trinity Rooms nightclub. I'm just asking some locals who may have gone here if it is worth the journey down from Sligo. It's very good value but is there a catch.

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Limerick County forum. Basically a group of around 20 of us are planning a trip down to this place in August. there is a package for €60 for 3 hours of paintballing, 1 night accommodation in the Jury's Inn and access to Trinity Rooms nightclub. I'm just asking some locals who may have gone here if it is worth the journey down from Sligo. It's very good value but is there a catch.

Thanks.

hey been there last year. i assume thats 60 quid each. there wouldnt be a catch but youll prob get a limited amount of paint balls and its very easy to over the limit with them. i think its 10 euro for another 100 paint balls and i spent over 100 quid on paint balls. bloody trigger happy finger:) but its a great laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Thanks Paulegend, yep it's €60 each but only 200 paintballs, still good value though. Is there anything else around the area to do or is that literally just it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Shanagolden is way outside Limerick City and this includes transport to and from. Jurys Inn is a good location and Trinity rooms is ok.

Combat Zone is a good paintballing location. I brought many groups here back in 2001/2002.

I think €60 is certainly just right.

There is the option of transport to bring us from Sligo to Limerick and back home again for €45 each so we thought we could drive and share the petrol costs. Would the bus still come into Limerick city to collect us for the paintballing?

There is the option of transport to bring us from Sligo to Limerick and back home again for €45 each so we thought we could drive and share the petrol costs. Would the bus still come into Limerick city to collect us for the paintballing?

Yes. Commonly from Jurys Inn. I was working in Jurys at the time when the stags were coming thick and fast for paintball and the mini bus always collected right at the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If the driver has a heavy foot like me don't expect much change from a tank and a half of petrol on an average car, 2 tanks if it's packed up with 4/5 lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Hey folks,

Thanks.

Yea, I`ve done the paint balling there several times, good craic...

Some tips, bring a change of clothes with you, dont wear any suede boots:rolleyes:, wear a scarf around your neck to protect it

A wool hat will protect the top of your head

Ensure you mask is on tight

Bring gloves to protect your hands, the paint balls don`t last long, you will need lots of refills, this is how they make their money

There is karting on the same road en route form Limerick, might be worth the trip, there are some pubs in the Shanagolden area for a few pints, paint balling is thirsty work

http://www.limerickkarting.com/

Hope that helps

--

Thanks Casperbhoy for the tips. We had been looking at Karting as well in Longford but it was going to cost nearly €150 just to go paint balling and karting, so the cost of transport wasn't included.
    Didn't realise there was a karting place on the way from Limerick to Shanagolden.

Thanks Casperbhoy for the tips. We had been looking at Karting as well in Longford but it was going to cost nearly €150 just to go paint balling and karting, so the cost of transport wasn't included.
    Didn't realise there was a karting place on the way from Limerick to Shanagolden.

If you ae coming down from Sligo then head off the N17 in through Athenry heading for Loughrea.

There is a Karting place outside of Loughrea. You can use this and then head down through Portumna down the Scenic Lough Derg to get to Limerick.

Its called Pallas Karting. I went there. Its a very good European Standard racing track. Your hips will be sore from being on the track. It was €40 for 40 mins when we went.

http://www.pallaskarting.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

60 Euros including the accommodation sounds great for Paintballing,
    but like someone already mentioned its the extra paintballs that you will need to buy that will Hurt the Pocket.
    They also as far as I know wont allow you to bring your own paintballs.

There is also Airsoft now available in Limerick about 5.5 miles from the city centre and 4000 airsoft BB's are only a tenner, as opposed to a 200 paintballs which wont last long. As the site is new I dont know if they would have enough rentals for 20 people.
    I payed 40 Euros which included Lunch for the day but I brought my own gear and ammo when I tried it. Its probably about 50-60 for rentals for the day.

Also another alternative for a good fun day out might be some Clay Pigeon Shooting.
    Eddy Daly's Rosemount shooting grounds in Rathkeale charges 20 Euro's for 50 Clays, and 6-7 Euros per box of ammo. You can bring groups of people out to him where he goes through a full safety briefing and coaches everyone while shooting. Myself and Friends have brought groups out a few times and even people that were nervous of guns ended up enjoying it. Probably would shoot 100 Clays in an evening and including ammo, gun rentals etc it usually would be 50-60 Euros.

~B

• Advertisement

Do you like mountain biking. Just outside Kilfinnane in Co Limerick is a mountain biking park. The best in Ireland and probably one of the only dedicated mountain bike areas.

http://www.ballyhouramtb.com/

You can hire bikes for €40 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

you would certainly need a change of clothes although you will get overalls.
    in this heat you will sweat like a pig,hope you are fairly fit cos its demanding enough but great craic.
    wer a hat and gloves and hard shoes cos those things hurt like hell if you get shot in the wrong place.
    you will be bruised all over.
    just enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

There is another karting alternative that is much closer to Shanagolden, directly on your route from the city to Shanagolden. Kilcornan Karting on the N69 at Kilcornan, eleven miles outside Limerick is well worth a visit.

Berty wrote: »
    Do you like mountain biking. Just outside Kilfinnane in Co Limerick is a mountain biking park. The best in Ireland and probably one of the only dedicated mountain bike areas.

http://www.ballyhouramtb.com/

You can hire bikes for €40 each.

And if you want to go Mountain Biking and Shooting
    in the same area on the same day there is also a rifle range in the area!
    http://www.brpr.ie/

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

paintballing is excellent, but if you want the people of limericks opinion on the trooms (trinity rooms) get yourself yesterdays sunday world, nice little expose on how **** and rough it has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

thebhoy wrote: »
    paintballing is excellent, but if you want the people of limericks opinion on the trooms (trinity rooms) get yourself yesterdays sunday world, nice little expose on how **** and rough it has gone.

I would take anything coming out of the Sunday World with a pinch of salt, i really dont think it is a good source of accurate information.

However its been over half a year since i have been to Trinity Rooms so im not sure what it has turned into,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

i know its a rag, but that article is pretty truthful. Since money got tight, the standard of, ahem, clientele they let in has dropped, which is a shame, used to be an alright spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

bullets wrote: »
    And if you want to go Mountain Biking and Shooting
    in the same area on the same day there is also a rifle range in the area!
    http://www.brpr.ie/

~B
    that range is for members only and does not do open days or corporate visits either.
    new laws regulating the ranges prevent people other than members to attend.

daveob007 wrote: »
    that range is for members only and does not do open days or corporate visits either.
    new laws regulating the ranges prevent people other than members to attend.

Was talking to someone only a day or two ago who said himself and friend
    were out there shooting clay's at a range in Ballyhoura where the members there
    mainly used it for pistol shooting.

The Range I'm with used to have club guns they used to hire out to groups
    or you could be a Non member and pay to use the range as my lift to and back from
    the range was from a non-member who shoots there. I'm constantly being asked
    by my work mates to organise a day out for them so they can try rifle (as the've
    already come out and enjoyed the shotgun)

Will PM you to ask you more details as dont want to hi-jack the OP's thread any more!

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 lunaticjimmy

am does anyone know whats the age limit for painting balling in shannagolden is..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

thebhoy wrote: »

Dont mind that ****e, they run one bad article about the place a year, some reporter has a personal vendetta, it was proved he wasnt in the venue at all the night he last claimed he was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

zuroph wrote: »
    Dont mind that ****e, they run one bad article about the place a year, some reporter has a personal vendetta, it was proved he wasnt in the venue at all the night he last claimed he was there.

I think this was last years article being referred to ;)

I don't know why they allow people bump zombie threads on here. It creates so much confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

lol. fair enough, i think I even checked the date then forgot it wasnt 2009. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

zuroph wrote: »
    lol. fair enough, i think I even checked the date then forgot it wasnt 2009.:o

ROLF:D

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

am does anyone know whats the age limit for painting balling in shannagolden is..?

It's 16. Anyone under 18 but over 16 needs a guardian to sign a liability form.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Please do not drag up old threads

thank you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement