Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish men and speedos

Options
  • 28-06-2009 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Article in the Irish Times one day last week on the fashion disaster that is Irish men wearing speedos........any views for or against this proposition?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think it's fúcking horrible. I HATE speedos. I don't even like them much on muscular, toned, tanned men, never mind hairy pale overweight men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

It's just wrong, so wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Not a lady so I won't comment on the fashion sense but at the risk of a broad generalisation I'd argue that most of the men wouldn't be in good enough shape at all to pull it off anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

They just look ridiculous tbh. How do men think they actually look good in them? Do they not see how badly everyone else looks in them? Why would they think they'd be any different?

Yick. Only time speedos should be worn is at an official swim meet. Outside of that, no thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

shudder :eek:

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    I think it's fúcking horrible. I HATE speedos. I don't even like them much on muscular, toned, tanned men.

Ahh now don't be rash woman!

http://www.handyworld-si.com/kartica/2009/bolsji_sejem_zvezd/ostalo_z_drazbe/peter_mankoc_kopalke_in_koledar.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Not sexy. But either is an over-weight woman in a tiny bikini.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Oh no... Not a good look. The pasty white skin and yelloe toe nails (never having touched fresh air) of the average Irish man doesnt help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I think they are foul on any man. There is something wrong about bunching up the meat and two veg in a bit of cloth like that. Balls hang because they have to be cooler than the rest of the body. Or something like that .>.>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I think generally speedos are a no no for any guy, but taking into consideration your typical irish guy (me included) just no its sick and wrong :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

As a bloke I'd never wear them...and hey I quite like my pasty Irish skin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Was in Greece 2 weeks ago and found ze Germans to be the biggest main offenders where speedos were involved. Followed closely by middle aged english men with beer guts that'd put BGRH to shame

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Speedos would be alright if the men that wore them were any way good looking with nice bodies and arses!!

Instead we have Lily white men with beer bellies parading around when the sun comes out..

Where I live, a seaside village, they arrive into the local shop to buy their stuff in their speedos and flip flops... THE shame of it!!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I really don't think it's a matter of irish men and speedos...just men and speedos, they're wrong and they always will be. My dad wears them and it is the most horrifically embarassing (and revolting) thing ever!! Thank god we don't go on holidays together anymore....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'm quite happy to say I've never seen this phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Even on muscle men who are well endowed they are disgusting...my husband had a pair of blue speedos which he attempted to wear when we were first dating...I still shudder at the thought of him in them - they were very anatomically detailed and I felt that everyone was looking at my man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah, they have to be careful when they are on the beach that the 'S' doesn't come off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

No...just no. No no no no no.

Nobody looks good in them. Stop buying them and hopefully they'll stop making them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Even on muscle men who are well endowed they are disgusting...

Have to agree with that!

No one can get away with them, regardless of size!

They make large guys look even bigger and put most people off eating for the rest of the day, if not week!

And they make muscley, athletic guys look juvenille and ridiculous!

Possibly one of the biggest faux pas ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

I think they're hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

We were at the beach yesterday and saw a kid - looked to be about 10 years old - wearing a speedo. That's just a poor choice on the parents' part . . . he's going to grow up and not know any better.

Tsk tsk.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Okay, I'm going to buck the trend!

In my youth I was into swimming competitively and to show up in anything other than Speedos was to mark yourself as an amateur. (This was before the advent of those long-john-does-the-swimming-for-you Lazer swimsuits). So I still have a preference for Speedo.

Unfortunately I've piled on the pounds since I gave up the swimming and I'm now one of those that fills the rest of you with horror when I make an appearance on the beach. :pac:

I couldn't give a crap though - I wear what I'm comfortable with - I'm there to enjoy myself not for a fashion show!

Having said that the Missus is an Aesthete like the rest of you and the grief usually means I'll go for something less revealing nowadays so that I can actually enjoy the day. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Etincelle

Go to France for a holiday and try out a local public swimming pool and I guarantee you will return thinking it strange to see men not wearing Speedos, as the French don't allow men access to pools in any other style of swimming attire (apparently for hygiene reasons) and even provide distributors at the entrances of most pools!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Never think about it. seeing as my beach wear is more determined by swimming and relaxing requirements. You know, like women's beach wear is about what you like rather than worrying about if you look "white", "hairy" or "overweight".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I wish I had the balls to wear speedo's in public.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

illiop wrote: »
    I really don't think it's a matter of irish men and speedos...just men and speedos, they're wrong and they always will be. My dad wears them and it is the most horrifically embarassing (and revolting) thing ever!! Thank god we don't go on holidays together anymore....

I think I would hang myself out of shame if I ever saw my father wearing a speedo. After a hefty round of eye bleach :eek:. Speedo's in general are scary as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Pfft. Irish men aren't hairy in the grand scheme of things.

My dad, on the other hand, likely has wookie heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Horrible on any nationality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

miles teg wrote: »

On this particular model yes, yes they are.

Advertisement