Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish men and speedos

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

Will wrote: »
    Was in Greece 2 weeks ago and found ze Germans to be the biggest main offenders where speedos were involved.

Being German, I have to agree on that. Speedos only seem to have gone out of fashion (if that word can indeed be used here, I'm not so sure :pac:) a few years ago. When I was a kid, 'twas all you ever saw. On every man, regardless.
    So... I guess I'm just used to them...? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

beks101 wrote: »
    On this particular model yes, yes they are.
    Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Hold on a sec!

What the hell is this thread about? Wearing swimming togs is wrong when you go eh... swimming?

Seriously folks - keep searching for a real problem.

Consider for a sec the looks I'd get (as a male) turning up to play football in speedos. - and rightly so.

How is it then that I am expected to go swimming in what are effectively football shorts?

If it is males or male anatomy you have an issue with, well convents aren't oversubscribed at the moment - you could always join them.

In swimming, you aspire to move through water effortlessly. Bermudas and shorts do not help this cause. I concluded this without a doctorate in physics. You can too. Speedos to me are the only acceptable male swimming attire outside of those expensive all body suits they wear in competitions. Shorts drag you back, make you look silly, and as redfacedbear said - they scream "amateur".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

topper75 wrote: »
    What the hell is this thread about? Wearing swimming togs is wrong when you go eh... swimming?

Seriously folks - keep searching for a real problem.

. . .

In swimming, you aspire to move through water effortlessly. Bermudas and shorts do not help this cause. I concluded this without a doctorate in physics. You can too. Speedos to me are the only acceptable male swimming attire outside of those expensive all body suits they wear in competitions. Shorts drag you back, make you look silly, and as redfacedbear said - they scream "amateur".

a) "not real" problems are allowed to be discussed here. It's okay!

2) I doubt that most people who toss on a suit to go to the beach for a few hours or to do a few cannonballs in the pool are really concerned with the aerodynamics of what they're wearing. And you (and redfacedbear) are correct . . . because most people who are swimming recreationally are - well - amateurs.

Let's take a deep breath. Smuggle your marbles all you want to, it's what we like to call "freedom of choice."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

When abroad on the beaches of Spain and Greece I like to tan and speedos are the best choice for that. I dont want tan lines from the waist to the knee so clown shorts are a no-no. Anyway I look after myself get plenty of exercise and dont have a beer belly. I couldnt care less what any woman thinks on the subject, I know myself that I can carry it off. I think on the continent they have a more open minded view on speedos, its strange that the popular opinion here now has migrated from the States. There is an interesting article here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

tribulus wrote: »
    Not a lady so I won't comment on the fashion sense but at the risk of a broad generalisation I'd argue that most of the men wouldn't be in good enough shape at all to pull it off anyway!

Pull them off - eek, no thanks. Bad enough on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

miles teg wrote: »

More than all right, but only with that body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭valery

Abigayle wrote: »
    I think they are foul on any man. There is something wrong about bunching up the meat and two veg in a bit of cloth like that. Balls hang because they have to be cooler than the rest of the body. Or something like that .>.>

YEH , BUT BALLS ARE COOL NO MATTER WHERE THEY ARE HUH ????:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

When abroad on the beaches of Spain and Greece I like to tan and speedos are the best choice for that. I dont want tan lines from the waist to the knee so clown shorts are a no-no. Anyway I look after myself get plenty of exercise and dont have a beer belly. I couldnt care less what any woman thinks on the subject, I know myself that I can carry it off. I think on the continent they have a more open minded view on speedos, its strange that the popular opinion here now has migrated from the States. There is an interesting article here.

Jesus, you don't want a tan line from your wait to your thighs but having a vicious white crotch doesn't bother you? That's just odd!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Wore the clown pants for the first time this year. This is definitly a step in the wrong direction. Only wore them as nobody else wearing speedos. Should be more clothing optional beaches in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

In swimming, you aspire to move through water effortlessly. Bermudas and shorts do not help this cause. I concluded this without a doctorate in physics. You can too. Speedos to me are the only acceptable male swimming attire outside of those expensive all body suits they wear in competitions.

This might be true, but the point most of us are making is that men don't look particularly attractive in Speedos.

They're the male version of the g-string, basically.

I remember being in France once, on the beach, which turned out to be a nudie beach - No, I didn't go there on purpose! :p

I was about 15 and remember being sickened at the amount of exposed flesh. Old, young ... everyone was naked!

I went into the sea, to escape the nudies when I saw a man from the waist up ... thought he was wearing Speedos and remember feeling relieved that he was actually wearing something! For the first time (and only time) in my life, I was pleased to see someone in Speedos! Then he dived into this huge wave, head first ... and his naked white bum plunging into the sea revealed he'd actually been wearing a navy belt! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Ye rail against packaging, but it seems the real issue is with content. Don't like the beergut (understandably), but the speedo togs get the flack. Why can't we make the distinction? The male model shots didn't seem to hurt anyone's eyes. Thread rename perhaps to 'I don't like unsightly men'.

@pikachucheeks: I won't/can't defend swimming in a navy belt on this or any other thread. :pac: LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Ye rail against packaging, but it seems the real issue is with content. Don't like the beergut (understandably), but the speedo togs get the flack. Why can't we make the distinction? The male model shots didn't seem to hurt anyone's eyes. Thread rename perhaps to 'I don't like unsightly men'.

@pikachucheeks: I won't/can't defend swimming in a navy belt on this or any other thread. :pac: LOL

I'll admit, while I'm not a huge fan of beerguts, my problem actually is with the Speedos themselves!

They're just ridiculous looking! Men shouldn't wear garments that small! I think "male model shots" where the model is wearing Speedos look more than a little silly!

There's just something taboo about men in Speedos, outside of those who compete.

Real men do not wear Speedos! :p

As for the navy belt, I've often wondered why he felt the need to just wear that! - bit of a Jodie Marsh, maybe!

Came across another guy on the same beach who had a single crutch and one white sock on ... Only in France!

I think a good looking guy in speedos is ok.....have to say i am finding it difficult to catch my breath since looking at the downloaded photo of that model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

FFS they make swimming far easier and far more enjoyable. Why are people so obsessed with body image :rolleyes:

K4t wrote: »
    FFS they make swimming far easier and far more enjoyable. Why are people so obsessed with body image :rolleyes:

When it comes to a hunk i just cant help myself. just fantasy now as i am settled down , but God knows, i love to oggle. they are gorgeous ....are`nt
    they though. ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

K4t wrote: »

Because it's cool to spread the message that women should be proud of how they look but men should live up to a standard.

*gong*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

board shorts and not the cheep crappy ones, the ones that actually have neoprime type fabric there great even when there wet they dont stick to you that much :D....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Dragan wrote: »
    Jesus, you don't want a tan line from your wait to your thighs but having a vicious white crotch doesn't bother you? That's just odd!

Vicious? Odd?

We're on different wavelengths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

I have few words to add to this thread but I will say this *my eyes, my eyes*

No I dont care....no matter how hot a guy is....speedos are wrong in sooooo many ways.....my dad put me off them for life

Advertisement