Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a move?

Options
  • 28-06-2009 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

My house has had Esat BT+ broadband for a good few years now.
    It is the 3mb package and where most people got upgraded to 7.6mb a while back we only got upgraded to 5mb. 5mb is grand for us but the 100gb cap isn't so we are thinking of moving to chorus/upc 24mb.
    I have three questions:
    I know chorus say its unlimited* but whats the actual cap?
    If we move from one to the other will there be much down time(no broadband) in between?
    Any reason i shouldn't move from BT to chorus?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

UPC cap is 250GB, at least on the top package anyway. Downtime should be nil, as they're both separate technologies, so just order from UPC can cancel BT when it's in. You need to give 14 days notice to BT, and it shouldn't take that long for UPC to install, so maybe do both at the same time.

Cancel in writing, send by registered post. BT are brutal when it comes to this. Cancel the direct debit with the bank in writing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

jor el wrote: »
    UPC cap is 250GB, at least on the top package anyway. Downtime should be nil, as they're both separate technologies, so just order from UPC can cancel BT when it's in. You need to give 14 days notice to BT, and it shouldn't take that long for UPC to install, so maybe do both at the same time.

Cancel in writing, send by registered post. BT are brutal when it comes to this. Cancel the direct debit with the bank in writing too.

Do you know if the 10mb UPC has a 250gb cap as well?

Thanks for the info so far

If you go over 250gb what happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

chorus are a load of crap

my mate has the 10MB package and he only gets 1 mb from it download speed

there are times when he could be browsing the web and it would just suddenly stop altogether and it would say connection lost

i wouldnt bother with them

robbie_998 wrote: »

there are times when he could be browsing the web and it would just suddenly stop altogether and it would say connection lost

That's one person

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

As far as I know, it's 250GB on the 10Mbs package too. If you go over, they can charge you, or throttle, or disconnect, not sure what they do though.

There are a few threads about UPC where people complain about poor speeds. It seems to vary though, and by and large, it seems worth trying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Some people have 100G cap (still excellent).

Performance varies according to area/street and if UPC have upgraded it. They have been upgrading the entire network since taking over from Chorus/NTL. It will take a while longer to complete.

The basic UPC BB is cheaper than line Rental + DSL basic. (you don't have to take TV service).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

robbie_998 wrote: »

Well my mate's sisters cousins dog says that the government control our actions through flu shots!:rolleyes:

The fact that your friends connection is dropping would cause me to believe that it's a wireless issue.
    So probably nothing to do with UPC at all.

Back on topic, OP, if you are moving to UPC, make sure not to cancel your BT phone line.
    If you want to keep your old number, the BT line needs to be active for UPC to take it.
    Also, don't believe all their sales agents tell you, read up on the packages and such, as sales agents in general tend to know nothing more about the services athan how to sell them!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

That only applies if you take the UPC phone service and want to port the number. You usually have to transfer the line back to eircom to port a number.

UPC doesn't use the physical phone line at all.

watty wrote: »

Performance varies according to area/street and if UPC have upgraded it. They have been upgrading the entire network since taking over from Chorus/NTL. It will take a while longer to complete.

All i know is that chorus/UPC were doing some work in my estate a few months back, they went to each house and done something outside the houses

Re[some other posts]: I think we are just looking for BB, no TV/Satellite etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement