Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving notice?

Options
  • 28-06-2009 11:21pm

I've been living in a house for about 5/6 months now, and I dont really like the area that much.
    I've been looking into moving closer to work, and am just wondering.
    How much notice would I have to give the other housemates?
    I never signed a lease with the landlord, (the other girl signed it with him) and my name isnt on the bills.
    How much notice would I have to give if I was to leave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Techinically nothing.

However one month would be good manners and not screwing over the other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Give them a month, it would be the mannerly thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I think that technically it is 35 days when no Lease was signed, as you have been there six months. Without a Lease the PRTB guidelines kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Yep, if it less than 6 months its 28 days

tba wrote: »
    Yep, if it less than 6 months its 28 days

Problem is that if nothing has been signed then on the landlord side it has Zero enforcability.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Agent J wrote: »
    Problem is that if nothing has been signed then on the landlord side it has Zero enforcability.

Not necessarily.
    In the absence of a signed lease- an Article 4 Tenancy is legally in place- and the terms governing such tenancies may be applied to both tenants and landlords.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Not necessarily.
    In the absence of a signed lease- an Article 4 Tenancy is legally in place- and the terms governing such tenancies may be applied to both tenants and landlords.

Yes but i think its safe to assume that a PRTB registration hasnt been completed which means the landlord has no recourse aganist the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Agent J wrote: »
    Yes but i think its safe to assume that a PRTB registration hasnt been completed which means the landlord has no recourse aganist the tenant.

Firstly why assume that. I would think that this person is subletting from the leaseholders from the opening post. No mention of the landlord.

secondly your 110% absolutly wrong that the landlord has no recourse if they do not have a tennancy registered anyway. Getting off the subject topic here but regardless of this the tennant is still bound by any legal obligations.

The only difference is the landlord is libel to recive a fine for not having the tennancy registerd that is all that can come of no registration.

Advertisement