Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Phone for Mobile Internet

• 29-06-2009 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi

Hoping someone can help.

What, in your opinion, is the best phone for Mobile Internet.

I guess, apart from the Iphone.

I really just want one that would have a screen similar to that of the Iphone or one that is pretty easy to use.

Sorry - don't have a clue with this?

Or is Iphone defo the best?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

I would honestly say that the iPhone is the best phone for mobile internet. No competition. You get proper web pages, instead of the crappy mobile versions and it's very easy to navigate around them. I'd give 9/10 to it. It loses one mark for not having flash :) But still, the mobile versions of webpages usually cater to iphone users and have MPEG versions of videos etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Im posting from the only mobile device to do internet well (iPhone in case you thought there was anything better!) It would be better with Flash though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭dublad23

HaHa

Ok!

And is there any benefit with the 3GS over the 3G. (It's a money thing)

Will all the new Apps be designed with 3Gs in mind?

It depends. There's not a huge difference. If you can afford it, get the 3GS. If you can't, then get the 3G.

New apps coming out will be targeted at the 3GS but you wouldn't be missing out on a huge amount if you were to get a 3G. Main benefits of the 3GS:

1)It's miles faster than the 3G. It would be about 2x as fast so Applications open instantly on the 3GS
    2)It's much, much louder. I upgraded from the original iPhone and this is miles louder. Not sure about the 3G, but the 2G used to be pretty quiet so you couldn't hear it ring if you were in a noisy place
    3)Compass. If you're on Google Maps, not only will it tell you where you are exactly using the GPS (This is also on the 3G) but it also shows you with way you're facing and rotates the map :)
    4)Better battery life. They've added a few hours more battery life to the 3GS over the 3G.
    5) 3.2MP camera instead of the 3G's 2MP Camera. It also has auto-focus where you can tap on the area or object that you want the iPhone to focus on. It also has a video camera.

That's really it I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Nokia 5800 is a great phone too for mobile internet. I love mine. Similar to the iphone in that you can use mobile internet and wifi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Davy wrote: »
    No need to use the mobile version :)

006ckj.jpg

All this iphone talk :eek:

What about the n97, is this not considered competition to the iphone. Clearly the picture shows its not a mobile version.

I'm an iPhone owner. By law I'm not allowed to recognise any competitor to the iPhone. If there is any phone to match it, or exceed it in features, I just ignore it and talk about the AppStore.

AppStore is what sets it apart from any other phone! So many apps..
    randomringhuge.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Davy wrote: »
    All this iphone talk :eek:

What about the n97, is this not considered competition to the iphone. Clearly the picture shows its not a mobile version.

Calling "The iPhone" the best phone for mobile internet is a fairly bold statement. There's nothing that makes it that better than anything else really. I use an LG Renoir and it'll work away with any iPhone version of a site. The only difference in programming iPhone versions of sites is that they're made to dynamically change, meaning you can click a link and it'll load something within the page without reloading the whole thing. So that's not a big reason to go for it. I'm sure there'll be a big barrage of posts by iPhone users but I'm prepared to argue if needs be :). Remember what you really want, a phone that's good for browsing the internet, not a fashion accessory with a glorified app platform filtered by apple! Could be a fair waste of money for you if you don't really need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

The 5800 does have a choice of browsers.
    There's the built in one, Opera Mini (fast and light on bandwidth) and Skyfire (in browser video)
    So much cheaper too obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

If you want you could get a windows mobile phone like a HTC or Sony Ericsson Xperia.
    Theres Opera Mobile on them and thats an excellent web browser, IE on the phones is pure muck.
    You also can get flash support for Opera Mobile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

As an alternative to the iPhone, I would have to say the SE Xperia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Im posting from the only mobile device to do internet well (iPhone in case you thought there was anything better!) It would be better with Flash though :(

For a browser with Flash check this out: http://www.htc.com/www/product/hero/product-tour.html

Adro947 wrote: »
    Calling "The iPhone" the best phone for mobile internet is a fairly bold statement. There's nothing that makes it that better than anything else really. I use an LG Renoir and it'll work away with any iPhone version of a site. The only difference in programming iPhone versions of sites is that they're made to dynamically change, meaning you can click a link and it'll load something within the page without reloading the whole thing. So that's not a big reason to go for it. I'm sure there'll be a big barrage of posts by iPhone users but I'm prepared to argue if needs be :). Remember what you really want, a phone that's good for browsing the internet, not a fashion accessory with a glorified app platform filtered by apple! Could be a fair waste of money for you if you don't really need it.
    A glorified App platform? You can argue about the Internet browsing if you want but there really is no arguing about the AppStore, whether it is filtered by Apple or not. No Mobile App Store can come close to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

long_b wrote: »
    The 5800 does have a choice of browsers.
    There's the built in one, Opera Mini (fast and light on bandwidth) and Skyfire (in browser video)
    So much cheaper too obviously.

Skyfire doesnt work on 5800

Advertisement