Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Outline your approach to teaching" question on job application form.

• 29-06-2009 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Folks,...
    Help me please! I am applying for jobs teaching and in several cases in which the VEC in question have a standard application form the question "Outline you approach to teaching" has featured. I vaguely remember something about the "communicative approach" from doing my PGDE in UCD but can't find the material anywhere. I'm worried that when I send the application (late today) that they will expect specific stuff. Can anyone please give me any guidance as to what VEC's are looking for in the answer to this question?

Gock:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would imagine that would be one of the questions they'll ask at the interview, so you don't need to be terribly detailed in the form.
    Without knowing what level you're aiming at - active learning methodologies, inclusion of all, child-centred, less reliance on the use of the text book, more doing by them and less talking by you, etc. Keeping in mind 'Assessment for learning' is the current fashion, having partly replaced 'multiple intelligences'.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭tringle

Depends on weather its for a second level school or adult ed. For adult ed I would be going for holistic approach, facilitative style, needs of all stakeholders, learners goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Enright

from google in relation to teaching of english

http://www.aber.ac.uk/~mflwww/seclangacq/langteach9.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gock

Gock wrote: »
    Folks,...
    Help me please! I am applying for jobs teaching and in several cases in which the VEC in question have a standard application form the question "Outline you approach to teaching" has featured. I vaguely remember something about the "communicative approach" from doing my PGDE in UCD but can't find the material anywhere. I'm worried that when I send the application (late today) that they will expect specific stuff. Can anyone please give me any guidance as to what VEC's are looking for in the answer to this question?

Gock:confused:

Thank You folks...Very helpful. I think, from reading your replies that I am now very well prepared for filling out the application for an ESOL job in a VEC which I am appliying for. I am also however applying for a position as a secondary level Geography teacher. Anyone got any tips for how I should answer the same "Outline your approach to teaching" specifically with regard to teaching Geography?

Gock

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Active learning. Field trips etc.
    Geography's a great subject for getting away from the textbooks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

thanks for the information here. i read this just before i starting completing a VEC application myself, and found it a good reminder of wording etc :)

best of luck Gock with the applications

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gock

Nead21 wrote: »
    thanks for the information here. i read this just before i starting completing a VEC application myself, and found it a good reminder of wording etc :)

best of luck Gock with the applications

I just hope we don't end up competing against each other at an interview!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Gock wrote: »
    I just hope we don't end up competing against each other at an interview!

haha. no im not applying for the ESOL position :)

Advertisement