Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to get smaller

Options
  • 29-06-2009 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

Okay so my current stats read:

Height 6"4
    Weight 112 kgs

I started off quite a bit heavier peaking at nearly 119kgs during the month of May (ie Masters finals!). I've been fairly good the last month or so and have made a huge improvement in all areas (fitness, eating, sleeping etc.)

My goals by the 30th September is quite simply to weigh 100kgs. I've been using the boards beach body challenge template to track changes over the last 6 weeks.

Those stats currently read (all in inches):

Neck 16.5
    Chest 43.25
    Waist 41.5 (Pushed Out)
    Hips 41
    Top Leg 27.625
    Knee 17.375
    Calf 16.625

The idea is to get most of those figures down as much as possible, especially the waist and hips.

Next Up: The Eating Plan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Breakfast

2 Cups Egg White
    1 Whole Egg
    1 Cup Milk
    2 slices toast or blueberries with yogurt

Snack

1 can tuna
    2 tbsp peanut butter
    2 fish oil tablets

Lunch
    175g-200g chicken breast
    1.5 tbsp olive oil
    Salad mix (beans, greens, carrots, peppers etc.)

Dinner
    Whatever is cooked

My mam is usually good for this. Meat/Fish with good choice of veg

Nightsnack
    .5 tub of cottage cheese
    25g cashew nuts
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    1 scoop protein powder

PWO
    2 Scoops of Protein Powder and half a banana or an apple or something like that.

Will vary it up a bit but that'll be my basic template. Should leave me near enough 3000 cals a day. Once I hit 108kgs I'll work my calories down a bit more and once more at 104kgs.

Next Up: The Workouts

Monday

Morning Session
    Front Squats 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Lunges 3x8-10
    Shoulder Press 3x8-10
    Leg Extension 3x10-12
    Tricep Pushdown 3x10-12

Afternoon Session
    Rowing

Tuesday

Morning Session
    Deadlift 3x5
    Chin Ups 3x5
    SL Deadlift 3x8-10
    BB Row 3x8-10
    Ham Curl 3x10-12
    Face Pull 3x10-12

Afternoon Session
    Cycle 45mins

Wednesday

Spin Class and Stretch

Thursday

As Monday, subbing benching with incline benching.

Friday

As Tuesday

Saturday

Spin class early morning depending if I've to work a Fri night shift and can't do a cardio session.

I'm keeping this template up for one more month and then I'll look to start doing some field work (speed and endurance).

I've done this the last while and haven't felt too bad from it.

Front Squat 5x60,70,70 (Gna drop down on these, **** form)

Bench (Narrow-Mid Grip) 5x65,70,70

Lunges (onto 10inch stepper using 20k db) 8x20,20,20

DB Shoulder Press 8x20, 7x20, 3x20 (Left shoulder gave out for some reason, wasn't gna push it)

Leg Extension (one leg at a time) 12x35, 30, 30 (Dropped down because I was moving to much trying to shift the weight)

Tricep Pushdown 3 sets of 12. Forget the weight.

Deadlift

5x100
    5x120
    5x150
    4x150

Chin Ups

40k Assistance

2x6
    1x5

Hamstring Curls

One Leg at a time

25x12
    32x12
    32x9

Face Pulls

(I'm not sure how exactly to these properly, should the pulley be set high or low?)

28x10
    24.5x10
    21x9

I played around with different positions hence the decrease in weight.

SL Deadlift

70x8
    70x8

Grip went to **** so didin't include last attempted set.

BB Row

50x8
    50x8
    50x8

Not sure if it was the face pulls, but I could really feel these when I pulled by shoulder blades back together.

Got up at 8pm for a spin class and walked in as people were doing some stretching on the bikes. Instructor gave me a little shout saying that they were finished so I bowed out of the room gracefully:D

There was another class on for 8.15 but I was the only one so decided to do some rowing and biking instead. Nothing impressive as it was **** hot in the gym so only stuck out the machine for 2,000 metres and the bike for about 10 minutes followed by a quick cooldown.

Pointless visit to the gym really.

• Advertisement

Front Squat

8x60
    8x60
    6x60

Bench (Normal Grip)

5x60
    5x65
    5x70
    4x70

DB Lunges

8x22
    8x22
    8x22

Shoulder Press

8x20
    8x20
    6x20 (Wiggled a bit for the last two so stopped)

Leg Extension

12x30
    12x30
    12x30 (Left) 11x30 (Right)

Tri Pushdown (Rope)

3 sets of 12

Didn't get a chance to get cardio in today on account of waking up later than expected and having a dinner to go to.

Front Squat

6x60
    8x60
    6x60

These felt a lot better. Really sat back into them. Still using plates under the heals though.

Bench (Normal Grip)

5x60
    5x70
    5x70
    5x70

DB Lunges

8x24
    8x24
    8x24

Shoulder Press

8x20
    8x20
    6x20

Leg Extension

12x30
    12x32.5
    8x32.5

Tri Pushdown (Bar)

2 sets of 12
    1 set of 10

Deadlift

5x70
    5x100
    5x120
    5x150
    4x155

Should probably attempt extra sets but I'm unsure since I'm not eating enough.

Chin Ups

40k Assistance

First Set: 1x6
    Third Set: 1x5

33k Assistance

Second Set: 1x5

Good Mornings

50x8
    50x8
    50x8

Only tried these for the first time today. More about getting my form set. I'm dropping SL Deadlifts from this program for the moment because my grip is giving out too often. I figure with the good mornings I'll still stretch the hamstrings pretty good without straining the forearms.

BB Row

50x10
    60x7
    50xx8

Jumped up too much, will aim for 3 sets of 55 x 8-10 next time around.

Hamstring Curls

One Leg at a time

32x12
    25x12
    25x11

Legs were like lead at this stage.

Face Pulls

3 sets of 12.

I'm not even gonna bother writing down the weights for pulley machines as they all differ, seriously, I can't understand how a weight on one machine is easy and on another it's really hard.

Did 15mins of steady cardio along with some stretching/hip mobility and then into the spin studio. Was ruined after half an hour on the bike. I was sweating buckets throughout it, I'm disgusting.:pac:

I've been eating kinda **** the last 5 days because I'm awaiting a new oven to be delivered, hopefully it's coming tomorrow. Last one just stopped working on Sunday.

Microwaved food is pretty disgusting and eating healthy take away can be pretty hard! Weight wise I'll be expecting to go up a kilo or so on Sunday morning.

Had a short time in the gym earlier so sort of rushed through everything with hardly any breaks.

Front Squats

10x50
    10x50
    8x50

Bench Press
    12x50
    12x50
    10x50

DB Lunges
    12x16 - flat on the ground
    10x16 - on box
    8x16 - on box

My right side of my body is seriously tight doing lunges. I've stretched the glutes and hamstrings quite a lot these last six weeks and I've noticed no difference really. On the box I'm not too bad but doing lunges straight on the ground today was an eye opener.

DB Shoulder Press

12x17.5
    8x17.5
    6x17.5

A stupid weight to go with for reps and no real rest period considering I'm only doing 20k 3x8 normally.

Leg Extension

12x25
    12x25
    12x25

Tricep Pushdown

3 sets of 15

Overall a poor session. Hopefully I'll make up for it tomorrow along with eating some proper food.

• Advertisement

Deadlift

5x70
    5x120
    5x120
    5x120
    5x120
    5x120

Pull Ups

40k Assitance

3 sets of 5

Good Mornings

6x70
    6x70

BB Bent Over Row

10x50
    10x50
    10x50

Single Leg Curls

15x25
    15x25
    15x25

Face Pulls

3 sets of 15

All the sets were done pretty quickly, no real rest maybe 30 seconds or so.

Did about 20mins of 200m sprints on the rowing machine. Spent another 20min doing some easy bike work since I'm pretty stiff, moved on and spent another 35-40mins stretching out everything in my body. Feel nice and relaxed now.

Had a friend come asking me to go through testing his 1rm's for a new program he's doing. Yeah you've guessed it 5/3/1:D He's about 70 odd kilos and hasn't lifted at all really. He got some pretty nice numbers.

In total I spent about two and a half hours in the gym but only worked hard for about 20minutes:D

Had some testing today.

On the 17th June I managed a 170kg deadlift, 85k bench, 0 pull ups and 25 push ups in a minute.

Today I went:

Deadlift

5x60
    3x100
    1x120
    1x140
    1x160
    1x180
    0x190

When I dl I usually use 25kg plates instead of 20kg plates, definitely noticed the difference and just couldn't get the momentum to get the first one or two inches up, I flew up on 180 once I got past the first three inches or so.

Bench

5x20
    5x60
    1x80
    1x90
    1x95
    0x100
    0x100

Again 95 flew up, honestly, it nearly went out of my hands it was that quick. Tried 100 twice but the bar kept working it's way between my neck and nipple line if that makes sense and I couldn't shift it.

Pull Ups

1:(

I'm weak as feck doing these, really would love to get 3 next month.

Press Ups

29 in a minute.

Overall I added 10k to my dl and bench, one extra rep on pull ups and 4 extra press ups. Wasn't too bad I guess.

Weight went from 114.3 (my scales said 112 at that date) to 113.1. Might change what I'm doing, weight not coming off quick enough although the previous week can be blamed for hiccup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Good work man, keep it up! It'll happen for ya, maybe up the running or something. Impressive deadlift.

I've been away from the gym the last few days so had to make do with some jogging and bodyweight stuff.

Rambled up today before work for 40 minutes or so and just messed about.

First working set was inverted rows, hang snatch and front squat. Did that 3 times all with no rest. Only had 40k on the bar.

Next working set was bench press and bent over rows. Repped on 70k benching and just 40k for the rows. Again no rest and just three supersets.

Last working set was hamstring curls, just did 10 reps on the left leg and then 10 on the right. Did four "sets" of these with no break and finished off with a 1k rowing sprint. Was handy enough.

On a slightly more serious note I'm cutting my weights down to 3 days a week. Instead of going push/pull on a Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri i'm going to do two push and one pull the first week and vice versa the second week. I've only a part time job but that's surprisingly given me more work than I had planned so need to cut down a bit on the weights to allow more cardio in.

Only had time for a real quick session today.

Deadlifted

50x5
    70x5
    90x5

All done real quickly

100x5
    120x5
    130x8

Pretty easy lifting

Military Press

20x5
    25x5
    30x5
    40x5
    50x2

Rowing

500m 1min 30

4x200m-300m sprints keeping the stroke rate above 38. Once I dropped below it I stopped.

Spent about 15-20mins just stretching out and using some bands to work on my left shoulder. It feels a bit strange at the moment.

There's a superstar challenge in my gym that I'm gonna do on Thurs. Basically the best times/reps for:

4 lengths of the swimming pool
    max dips in a min
    max elevated press
    2k row
    2k bike ride

Should be a laugh, no real structure as of yet still so will be one less session in the gym to plan.

I know I said I was gonna push on with the push/pull template but I'm thinking I might switch to 5/3/1 and just do it over 3 days a week with the deadlift and military press combined on one of the days. I'm now one of the sheep:D

Just went up to find out my front squat numbers.

20x5
    40x5
    60x5
    80x3

Stopped at 80 since the form was pretty good and decided in lieu of some reading that longterm starting off with a smaller max will allow you to make incremental improvements for longer.

Threw in 3 sets of inverted rows.

Band work on the shoulders and hamstrings.

Did 4 x 500m rows with a minute rest. Think I'll struggle tomorrow with a 200m row for time. The best is just over 8 minutes. This has kinda made me realise how unfit I am compared to about 12-14 months ago. How sad!

Had the little superstar challenge today:D

I'll be honest, I was fooked after it!

Started off with dips, managed 8 in a minute. Triceps were dead after half a minute when I had the 8 done and couldn't manage another single one. Although I'm pretty happy getting even 8 considering my weight and the fact I've never trained them really before at all. Top guy had 43 dips:eek:

Tried my hand at push ups, they were done with my arms resting on two of those reebok steppers. Found these hard, got 22 I think which was pretty poor but considering I'd just done dips it was to be expected. Top score was 55 by the same guy!

At this stage I felt very embarrassed. Here was this pretty big bloke and i'd been wiped out by some pretty basic exercises.

Moved onto the 2k bike ride. Was allowed to get up to speed and then it started. First km I completed about 58secs at about 160rpm, I was wiped though and dropped down to 130rpm at a lower resistance level for about 45 secs. At about 1.45 I upped the resistance again and went balls out managing to finish in 2mins 15secs. Second best time with the best guy doing 2mins 1sec (that's a pretty sick time I must say)

My quads were like jelly after doing the bike ride, I could barely move them yet alone try to stretch them out in any sort of way. I've never had a dead sensation in my legs like that in all the years I've done sports, I look at speed cyclists now in a different light!

Next up was the rowing, my legs were still pretty fooked after rowing and the guy with the best time on the rower was a good 30secs off me on the bike so I figured there wasn't a chance to beat his score on the rower (7mins 37sec odd). Set up a pacer on the rower at 1.55 500m intervals which meant that if I could stay ahead of the boat I might be able to make a final push for it in the last 500m. Stayed ahead of the pace boat by about a second for the first 1500m which meant I was on for 7min 39sec. Last 500m I said fook it, get me a bucket and I rowed the ****é out of the thing finishing at 7min 34sec odd! Best score so I was delighted, took my feet out of my shoes and the looks from a couple of people was hilarious, I was doubled over with my shoes stuck in the rowing machine:D Luckily I didn't have to use the bucket though.

Lastly was the swimming. Think it's a 33 metre pool, I can barely swim so it was a bit of a problem. I solved it by running in the pool! Did it in 2mins 54secs, best time was 2mins 30secs so that was grand.

Glad to have done it, seems easy enough but it really takes it out of you. I feel grand now whereas some rugby sessions I'd be absolutely banjaxed but the initial feeling having completed it is just disgusting.

I'd love to do a triathlon now to be honest. They've some stamina those boys:D

Had a game of touch rugby tonight up in the club. I'm being honest right now when I say it is unbelievably tough to try and shift the sort of weight around the pitch the way I use to. Game lasted 75 minutes and I came in and out of it at various points ie. I'd walk instead of jogging for a min or so.

Legs are like jelly now but the main thing is that I was twisting and turning with no discomfort on the ankle so hopefully the real pre-season goes handy enough for me. I'm gonna start off 5/3/1 tomorrow doing some front squats and military press. I figure I won't be able to squat on Friday/Saturday so I'll just do deadlifts then.

5/3/1 Wave 1

Front Squat

30x5
    40x5

50x5
    60x5
    67.5x8

Military Press

20x5
    25x5

27.5x5
    32.5x5
    37.5x8

Leg Extension

17.5 Single Leg 5 sets of 15

Rowing

2x500m sprints. 1.37 average with a minute break.

Legs and lower back along with the groin all really, really stiff still after last night.

• Advertisement

Pre Season Training Day 1

Agony, why I'm awake right now after the session we had I don't know.

10-15minute warm up had me heaving:rolleyes:

4x20 min sets.

1.Ball Handling
    2.Technique Drills
    3.Sprinting and Modified Prowler/Fireman Pushes (not sure of name)
    4.Conditioning - outlined below

The prowlers things done with car tires were disgusting. We worked in teams of 4 so we worked different areas at different times. The conditioning at the end was horrid.

4 sets of 10 pushups (5 second descent with clap, hands touching, left arm dominant, right arm dominant)
    2 sets of different sit ups
    2-3 sets of holding legs at different heights and various stuff.

Did that circuit 3 times and felt dead.

Fireman squats with a prop on your shoulders ain't good.

Tyre Flipping. Lots of fun especially with a big ass tractor tyre.

Grappling for 2 mins.

Session ended we thought but then we had 6 shuttle sprints out and back with us needing to do a press up each time we reached the cones, ran the length of the field, repeat 6 times.

Never felt the quads go on me before (during running). Mad feeling. Calves sore also. Deadlifting will be fun tomorrow!

In addition to taking up the 5/3/1 program I've decided to forget about weighing myself etc and measuring and just work my ass off till the end of September and see how far I get along. Makes it simpler plus all the keeping track of **** makes me lose focus on what is important, ie diet and exercise.

Haha! All I can say is I dont miss those sessions! Pure hell.

What we are doing in Navan is seriously tough but nothing compared to that.

5/3/1 Week 1: Deadlift

5x60
    5x80
    5x97.5
    5x105
    5x120
    6x137.5

Woke up today feeling better than I thought I would have done, warmed up for 10 mins trying to loosen up but my lower back was stiffffffffff. The last two sets were hard work if I'm being honest. Not surprising after last night.

DB Bent Over Row

3 sets of 15 at 12kilos

BB Row

2 sets of 10 at 50 kilos

Facepulls

5 sets of 12 at 7/8 plates

Rowing

4x500m 1min 40 avg with 90sec rest. Was really tired at the end of this workout so the rowing was tough enough. What was annoying was the fact that I kept slipping out of the shoe braces (I blame my size 13's:P) which meant I'd have to readjust. Half the rowers are banjaxed in the gym now, if the have foot straps the display doesn't work and if the display works there's no foot straps:mad:

@Beau: You're in AIL 3 now yeah, we'll face off at some stage this year so either at Senior or J1;)

@Beau: You're in AIL 3 now yeah, we'll face off at some stage this year so either at Senior or J1;)

Yep! First match in fact! in the Senior Cup 27th of August, for 1st and 2nds. Should be fun :pac:

Looking forward to it :) You bring many lads in? We've pretty much got the core of my age group and the 20's group after us for the squad along with a couple of the slightly older lads. Two french lads here with us for a year or so also.

We haven't brought lads in as such, two new guys have joined us though from other clubs. We lost 2 of our main players (including captain) from last season which is a killer but as they're back row I'm not complaining to much!:P

5/3/1 Week 1

Benching

20,30,40,52.5,60 al by 5.

67.5 by 10

Incline DB Bench

4 sets of 17.5kx10

3x500m sprints with 90sec rest. 1min40 avg.

V.quick session seeing as I woke up late and had to make off into work:mad:

Planning to double up the squat and mp either tomorrow morning or else wed and hit dl (fri) and bp again on saturday to bring me back into a weekly sync.

Training session tonight as Tuesday.

Fireman drills were pretty hard seeing as the ground was quite dry which upped the resistance a lot!

Extra team session sat morning so I'm gonna have to double up dl and bp on friday now.

5/3/1 Week 2

Front Squat:

5x30
    5x40
    5x47.5
    3x55
    3x60
    7x67.5

Military Press:

5x20
    5x22.5
    5x27.5
    3x32.5
    3x35
    7x40

Power Clean:

5x20
    4x40
    4x50
    3x50

Shoulder Press:

10x15
    14x15
    14x15
    14x10

Step Up:

10x50
    10x50

10 left leg and 10 right leg.

I attempted walking lunges but my right flexor twinged after a couple so I cut the session short seeing as I'll be doing another heavy session tomorrow. Power cleans were good although I need to work on cleaning it a bit better, not catching the bar in a real squat position.

• Advertisement

Team training.

Instead of 20 minutes grids we now only have 18 minutes. Rest time cut down unfortunately.

I'd just like to declare right here that i'm officially gay for Fabio O'Brien. For those of you who don't know he scored his 4th goal in 4 european games to send St.Pats through in the Uefa Europa League. Unfúckíng believable!

Advertisement