Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to get smaller

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

5/3/1 Deadlift and Bench Press: Week 2

Deadlift

5x70
    5x80
    3x112.5
    3x130
    5x145

Just had no energy doing the deadlifts. Poor attempt on my behalf.

Bench Press

5x35
    5x42.5
    5x50
    3x60
    3x67.5
    7x77.5 PR (previous best was 75x5)

Benching was easy, felt as if I could keep going on. Not getting a pump out of it at the moment although I imagine having done effectively 4 days of upper body weights/bodyweight stuff this week it might explain how it felt easy, who knows I ain't gonna complain too much.

Incline DB Press

10x18
    10x18
    10x18
    10x18
    10x18

BB Row

60x8
    60x10
    60x10

Kept it short enough again with another busy day just gone and having a training session about half nine in the morning that'll run to half twelve if we can go through everything quickly:(

I feel dead.

Meet at half nine this morning and had the best part of a 90 minute army session. It was tough as feck. Put simply, 12 stations involving sandbags, logs, missile casings? and other fun stuff. When we finished a circuit we ran as three teams with a log between us that we'd to carry around as we ran about 1k. We did three sets of these and it took a lot out of us.

Drove from there up the Dublin mountains and did the best part of another 90 minute session for me, I'll explain further down. Was 60-65mins or so for the others. 15-20 min jog up and then something like a 1k sprint, 600, 400 sprint and so on. Disgusting. Moved a bit again and had a really steep inclined hill that we had to run up and down non stop for god knows how long. I got severe chaffing between the legs so I said I'd start my descent by walking and finish out the rest of the jog. Took a wrong turn so ended up lost for 20 minutes or so.:o

I can confidently say I am absolutely bólloxéd right now. Might just do a bit of water running tomorrow because I think I'll be pretty stiff.

5/3/1 Week 3 Front Squat and Military Press

Military Press

5x20
    5x22.5
    5x27.5
    5x32.5
    3x37.5
    7x42.5

Front Squat

5x32.5
    5x40
    5x50
    5x57.5
    3x67.5
    2x75

These were ****, no groove at all today.

Leg Curls Single

15x25
    12x20

Shoulder Press

15x16
    10x16

Rowing - 1000metres

I suffered heat stroke on Saturday evening (at least I think so - severe sweating, muscle cramp, blurred vision, shaking, sickness) and to be honest I'm only getting over it now, the effort tonight reflects that. I just had feck all energy doing the squats or assistance work.

Hopefully I feel decent enough tomorrow to do some proper training.

Team Training tonight. Dropped the serious conditioning section tonight at last thank god. Replaced with a game of full on for 20 mins and finished off with fartleks for backs and flankers for 5-10mins, heavy tyre flipping for second rows and 8's and prowlers for the front row.

5/3/1 Bench Press Week 3

Bench

35x5
    40x5
    50x5
    65x5
    72.5x3
    80x5

BB Row

60x8
    60x8
    60x8

DB Incline Bench

20x10
    20x10
    20x10

Cable Rows Into Abs

3 Sets of 10 Full Stack

Seated Face Pulls

3 sets of 10 half Stack

Rowing

500m - 1.30 - 1/100's of a second for sub 1.30:o

Still feeling a bit off and I'd only half an hour to do stuff in the gym. Happy enough with the effort I put in, got a good sweat on. Watching some bad Boys and then out to see if i can get any pictures of this meteor shower people are talking about.

• Advertisement

Team training.

Did pretty much the same three blocks as before. Added in an extra block of 2v1 and 3v2 to get us moving again. Split off into backs and forwards. We did a fair amount of scrummaging in lieu of Saturday's game and worked on a couple of line outs to get one or two new players acquainted with the basics.

Looking forward to Saturday even though I may not play fully due to work commitments that i can't get out of!

Also finish the first wave of 5/3/1 tomorrow.

5/3/1 Deadlift Week Three

Deadlift

70x5
    90x5
    110x5
    122.5x5
    137.5x3
    155x5

Struggled through this to be honest. I'm putting it down to the rugby training seeing as I hit 155x5 and 155x4 about three weeks ago with relative ease.

6inch Rack Pulls

60x15
    110x12
    110x12
    150x5 (Was pretty tired so dropped down and did)
    110x7

Pull Ups

50k assistance

3 sets of ten with 30 sec rest

Single Leg Curls

25x8
    25x8
    25x8
    25x8

Did 8 single left, 8 single right and switched back straight away. Felt the last 8 on both legs

DB Curls

16x8
    16x5

Arms were just tired in general so left it at there.

Thoughts on finishing first wave of 5/3/1

This is a simple program. Do whatever your big lifts are and progress. Stall, drop your 1rm and work through. It feels strange deadlifting as that was my one decent lift, I struggled with the weight today at 155, although that was probably down to the intensity of the other training I've being doing. Actually I just used the max calculator that Bossarky attached in his 5/3/1 excel sheet and it seems that I'm actually just above my lifts (bar bench) following the max effort singles this week. Happy days.

I'm gonna follow this through till next April (end of season) and see how much I've progressed.

5/3/1 Wave 2 Military Press

Military Press

20x5
    25x5
    30x5
    35x5
    40x13 *PR

DB Shoulder Press

12x10
    15x10
    15x10
    15x10
    15x10

Ez Bar Curls

30x10
    40x10

Press Ups

10 - shoulder sore when I dipped so I stopped

I've sprint training tonight so due to the fact that I got up late today and that I wanted my legs to be fresh I skipped the front squats and will do them tomorrow morning instead. I'm weak as feck doing pressing. Feel as if I'm not pushing myself doing the MP. Must remember that I've long term goals and to start thinking about next April and not now!

We've an extra session the next month with a mind to teach increase our acceleration and go through the mechanics of sprinting. Pretty easy going go through the warm ups and the sprints themselves but god, my groin is in bit right now. When you sprint properly they take a hammering. We'd a 40m sprint at the end. Got under 4.9, pretty happy for that considering I'm still not back to my old shape. Sprint coach said that'd equate to a sub 11.8-9, I was actually really impressed with him. He could run say 60m in whatever time he wanted, sounds easy but he had us run the same distance in 13 seconds and decreased it by a second each time. Very few of us could time it properly. Looking forward to next week, definitely not looking forward to waking up tomorrow!

Skipped squats today, my groin was fecked after last night. Training was training. Finished by nine tonight. Was nice to be home early for once!

• Advertisement

Here's the lowdown, I've been a biaaaatch the last two days. My groin and lower back is still sore after that sprint training on Monday as well as the intense session on Tuesday. Even though it was only 90 minutes it took it out of me. Training was good craic tonight, was fairly easy on the physical side of things. There was more emphasis on defence, attacking in units as well as breaking off to forwards and backs.

I may do a deload session tomorrow and restart wave 2 next week depending on how the body is, in lieu of a match on Saturday I'll more than likely give the deload a miss.

Oh and I'm pretty pissed we lost 3-0 tonight in Europe. Gutted actually. On the plus side finally have a Nikon D80 which'll let me take pictures of people from far away... :)

Advertisement