Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taxi near olympia theatre

Options
  • 29-06-2009 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

heading to a gig this week,will need to take a taxi back to bus aras after gig (10.30 or 11pm) can someone tell me where i can find a taxi near the venue and approx how long it should take to get back
    thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

heading to a gig this week,will need to take a taxi back to bus aras after gig (10.30 or 11pm) can someone tell me where i can find a taxi near the venue and approx how long it should take to get back
    thx

Theres loads of taxis on the streets so you should get one handy outside the olympia. Should take around 5 mins to get to busaras.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

If you don't happen to get a taxi on Dame St. stroll down to College Green and there's a taxi rank, just opposite the front gates to Trinity College.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sidekick100

If you don't happen to get a taxi on Dame St. stroll down to College Green and there's a taxi rank, just opposite the front gates to Trinity College.

no idea where that is,im not familiar with the area.
    is there a taxi rank on the street where the olympia is? or wouldi have to wave one down?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

at that time of night outside the olympia (Dame Street) turns into a big taxi car park, there are taxis everywhere and it creates worse traffic jams then at rush hour - so you have absolutely no problem getting a taxi

but tbh you will walk quicker to the bus station

at that time of night outside the olympia (Dame Street) turns into a big taxi car park, there are taxis everywhere and it creates worse traffic jams then at rush hour - so you have absolutely no problem getting a taxi

but tbh you will walk quicker to the bus station

thats great (for me,not other drivers)

i am not from dublin/dont know my way around it enough to walk back to the bus station

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

As the Bunny woman says, you'll be quicker walking.

However should you decide on the cab, again its like Miss Bunny said - Dame St is a huge traffic jam of taxi's day and night now, its complete and utter madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

It's an easy walk. Turn left outside the Olympia and follow the road around til you cross the bridge. Then turn right and walk along the quays until you come to the Custom House and it's behind that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

jdivision wrote: »
    It's an easy walk. Turn left outside the Olympia and follow the road around til you cross the bridge. Then turn right and walk along the quays until you come to the Custom House and it's behind that.

Definitley quicker (and cheaper) to walk. See Here

thanks for the help
    is it safe for a teen girl to walk alone on those streets at night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

thanks for the help

Well I don't think I could say it's safe for a teen girl to walk anywhere alone at night. Maybe you would be better off in a taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

As a general rule yeah it's fine but there can be junkies down by the Custom House. I'm 6'4 so probably not best person to listen to in the safety regard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

jdivision wrote: »
    As a general rule yeah it's fine but there can be junkies down by the Custom House. I'm 6'4 so probably not best person to listen to in the safety regard!

You're also not a teen girl.

Taxi would be best bet for someone that young. Especially if she's by herself.

ah you would be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Ha i work on Eden Quay, def get a taxi. Not a safe area for anyone on their own!!!:D

taxi drivers love those kind of pick ups,easy cash to drive 2 minutes!

ah you would be grand

Maybe a teen girl from Dublin would be but I wouldn't recommend a teenage girl unfamiliar with the city make that walk by herself at 11 at night. Not at all.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Maybe a teen girl from Dublin would be but I wouldn't recommend a teenage girl unfamiliar with the city make that walk by herself at 11 at night. Not at all.

well, i am not from Dublin myself but wouldnt have had a problem with anyone walking in the city centre tbh, i think Dublin is one of the safest cities i have lived in

maybe thats just me

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

just make sure ya dont take the boardwalk!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

I've often done that walk myself but it might be a bit intimidating if you're not familiar with the city, so you might be as well to just get a taxi, it won't be too expensive anyway! If you do decide to walk, print out a map in advance from google maps and memorise the route (do not walk along reading the map as you go however!! :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

well, i am not from Dublin myself but wouldnt have had a problem with anyone walking in the city centre tbh, i think Dublin is one of the safest cities i have lived in

maybe thats just me

Are you familar with eden quay? Get a taxi op.

Amen to that.

Or whatever you do stay away from the Liffey wall and boardwalk side of the quay.

• Advertisement

yeah, i would walk it quiet a bit, am i missing something ?

A lot of dealing/undesirables hanging around on Eden Quay - wasn't that were that female Garda was assualted recently?

Seriously thats one I'd advise again, remember you've to be lucky everytime you walk it - the guttersnipe have only to be lucky once, and YOUR a victim!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

thanks for the help

It depends on how you are walking, tbh. If you are unfamiliar/ not confident with walking alone through a city you may get hassled/picked on if it shows.

General rules apply. Walk tall, don't make too much eye contact with everyone, walk with a sense of purpose, be very aware of your surroundings, don't wander into empty side streets, don't look scared, keep your bag close, wear shoes that you can run fast in, carry a knuckle duster...you know, the usual ;)

You'll be grand but if you are worried a taxi can be great peace of mind, don't be afraid to get one if you feel uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    A lot of dealing/undesirables hanging around on Eden Quay - wasn't that were that female Garda was assualted recently?
    I thought that was up by Merchants Arch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yep twas Aston Quay leading into Merchants Arch. I'd get a taxi OP especially if you're not familiar with Dublin.

Advertisement