Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance question.

Options
  • 29-06-2009 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone can offer me some advice on what to do about my car insurance. I have a pain in my arse dealing with the insurance companies.

Anyway what's happened is that I was involved in an accident in April of last year, I was found liable and my insurance paid out for the other persons car. That's okay, Quinn deal with it and tell me not to worry everything will be sorted, grand...

Next I get a letter in the door about the other person claiming compensation off my insurance. Quinn again tell me that I don't need to worry about anything, they'll sort it.

My renewal date comes up then in October and ring my insurance and get quotes. I was driving a '99 Polo (cost me €2700 p/a) and Quinn quote me €3000 in my '03 Golf. That's okay I ring around and realise that no other company would take me as there was an open claim on my account. I think grand, feck it, it didn't go up that much.

Get another letter in the door a few months back (March maybe) from the Personal Injuries Assesment Board about the accident. Apparently the other person who was involved was in an other accident six months before the one in April and thet they were also claiming from that accident also. This obviously complicated things. I didn't know about the other accident until nearly a year after. The other person is now trying to claim the 10 months wages the they missed while they out of work after the accident in April of last year. Sounds a bit Irish to me?!?!

I have tried ringing Quinn and talking to the person dealing with it and they're telling me that there's feck all I can do and I can only just wait for it to be sorted.

It's coming back round to renewal now in a few months and I will hate if I have to give Quinn my money again. They could turn around a quote me anything and if I can't pay it what the hell can I do. I can't go to another company as they won't insure me.

What can I do???

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

take them to court.....the other driver that is

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭j0ey2069

I have no extra cash to be risking taking anyone to court myself. If I lose do I not have to pay legal fees.

What makes it worst i that the accident wasn't my fault. There was muck outside the gate of a farm and I hit it and went flying. Went to a solicitor about it to see if I could do anything and was told that it may be risky and that I may end up paying more in fees than I got.

hhmmm tricky alright...

did the gardai get called ? did you suggest they get called or anything ?

talk to quinn and tell them that you shouldnt have to pay their injuries because he was in another crash before...

from reading the post i take it it was only a minor crash ? not too serious ?

10 months out of work ? sure that alone would set you back about €17,000 depending on what they are.

it does kinda sound like that their trying to take your money just for the sake of it alright.

did he get back in his car and drive away ? if so he clearly wasent hurt then otherwise the ambulance would've being called there and then rather than a week later or what ever it was like... explain what you think to quinn.... sounds very dodge

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

A Typical compo culture scenario.

Sounds like this gouger is looking for a free ride & hoping they can extort as much money out of you as possible.

Try calling a few solicitors. I can't think of any off hand but some of them may be interested in a no win no fee deal.

If they make a few inquiries & smell a rat on the other end they may jump at the chance to slaughter the other party.

It's worth a couple of hours calling around. May save you a stack in the long run or make you back a few quid ;)

@robbie_998 - Yeah the Gardai did get called and an ambulance was out there at the scene also. The other party did get into another car and go home.

Hmmm, I need to do something about it now. It's getting to the stage it's ridiculous.

Thanks for the advice, I will definately call a few solicitors and see what they think.

Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

If he's going through the Personal Injuries Board then he has to prove both his injuries and the fact he was out of work - if he can prove these unfortunately they will pay out. The process can take up to 9 months and if you don't agree to the amount or he wants more its off to the courts!

I'm going through a similar thing at the moment and its an absolute pain. Some people just see euro signs in front of their eyes in a situation like this - and with the recession I think we'll see more of it. Sorry for your trouble and I hope it gets sorted soon.

EDIT: Also, on the gardai and ambulance, even if they were called and the other party could drive off, some injuries can take a while to manifest themselves. About the other crash claim though, I would be interested to know what the details of that - it could have an outcome on this one. If this person is "causing" accidents to make comp claims you should investigate it further

@RentDayBlues - It is a bloody pain. The problem is that according to Quinn the PIAB assess accidents in order and my crash would not be investigated until the other claim was sorted. This could take an age to sort. I was told that some insurance companies may take me on if I had a full estimate on how much the claim cost Quinn. Axa said that they would take me if I got this estimate.

Does anyone know anyone that has moved to another insurer while having an open claim with another?

I spoke to a friend who is in insurance about this - he said most companies will take you on. I know my insurer (Allianz) has an estimate on my claim which is outstanding so I'm sure Quinn do too. No harm in calling them and asking for it.

Thats an absolute pain about the other claim though in your favour: if the 2 crashes were close together in time how can they prove that it was your crash that caused these injuries? I think it could be worth seeing if you can get out of it this way.

The problem is Quinn won't give me an estimate because there's so much left to sort out. I will ring them again today and ask.

I found out that the other crash the person was involved in was six months before mine and they had only just recovered from that one (according to what was said at the scene of the accident back in April of last year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

xsdirect will insure you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

robbie_998 wrote: »
    take them to court.....the other driver that is

For what? I thought that it was totally up to your insurance company how they deal with the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

eoin wrote: »
    For what? I thought that it was totally up to your insurance company how they deal with the claim.

and don't forget, it will probably take around 18months to get into court....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Quinn seems to have done nothing wrong here, you rang them and they sorted everything (except for this last mess) - why would you want to leave?

My crash was 8 weeks ago - and Allianz have given me a quote of €10K for the claim. Surely Quinn can give you an estimate based on the maximum amount the TP can get from the PIAB?

@steve06 - On their website it says that they won't insure drivers under 25, anyone seen them insure anyone under 25 before???

@Magnus - Because Quinn are quoting me stupid money for next car.

j0ey2069 wrote: »
    @robbie_998 - Yeah the Gardai did get called and an ambulance was out there at the scene also. The other party did get into another car and go home.

Hmmm, I need to do something about it now. It's getting to the stage it's ridiculous.

Thanks for the advice, I will definately call a few solicitors and see what they think.

Joe.

did the paramedics speak to you about the other persons injury ?

maybe he wasn't too bad if he was able to go home and not to hospital.

It doesn't matter what injuries he claimed he had at the site of the accident - whiplash for instance in unlikely to show for a couple of days. So even if he could do kart wheels into his car but now is claiming an injury as long as a doctor can certify it then he'll get his money!

Advertisement