Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current state of I.T sector in Ireland

Options
  • 29-06-2009 8:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

As very one is probably sick of hearing about the 'R' work and lack of jobs I am just hoping to see how the I.T sector is holding up.

I am currently living outside of Ireland and most my friends I speak to in Ireland are not involved with I.T so when I question them it is always doom and gloom.

Has anyone changed I.T jobs in the last 6 months? What website would you consider looking at possible job roles?

I have about 5 years exp in Software dev, support and testing with Java and C# and oracle and sql server database's exp. What would be an average salary in Dublin with some one with exp?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Comparatively, it doesn't seem that bad - but from what I've seen on the work/jobs forum, it looks like salary expectations are way lower. Companies know they can get staff for much less. That said, I think some of that could be just more realistic salaries - there were graduates claiming to be on up to 40K, which I think is crazy money for someone with no real world experience.

I use www.irishjobs.ie but I have a suspicion that there are a lot of dummy jobs on it. www.jobs.ie might be useful.

Edit: I just searched for IT jobs in Dublin on irishjobs.ie (agency and employer) and put in "web" as the keyword. Only two results - that would have been pages of results not so long ago. Might be even worse than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

eoin wrote: »
    Comparatively, it doesn't seem that bad - but from what I've seen on the work/jobs forum, it looks like salary expectations are way lower. Companies know they can get staff for much less. That said, I think some of that could be just more realistic salaries - there were graduates claiming to be on up to 40K, which I think is crazy money for someone with no real world experience.

I use www.irishjobs.ie but I have a suspicion that there are a lot of dummy jobs on it. www.jobs.ie might be useful.

Edit: I just searched for IT jobs in Dublin on irishjobs.ie (agency and employer) and put in "web" as the keyword. Only two results - that would have been pages of results not so long ago. Might be even worse than I thought.
    I did the exact same thing and there are exactly 3059 jobs available!!!

http://www.irishjobs.ie/ShowResults.aspx?Recruiter=both&Keywords=web&I7.x=0&I7.y=0&I7=search

You didn't select Dublin, or IT

You didn't select Dublin, or IT
    I selected Dublin. Are you saying none of the jobs, bar two of them, that came up in my search aren't in the IT industry? I find that too many search filters can be a hinderance. To get accurate results you're depending on employers/agencies to have checked all the correct boxes ect....

You're right - just bad data entry by agencies / recruiters.
    To get accurate results you're depending on employers/agencies to have checked all the correct boxes ect.

This is true, but that can be a real pain if you're searching for keywords that aren't as industry specific - e.g. consultant / manager etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 itscout

You can also check http://www.jobscout.ie/ireland_it_jobs

Jobscout provides a quick overview of the IT jobs in Ireland. By collecting openings directly from the employer's site we can get an accurate picture of when new openings become available and when hiring slows down.

Give it a try, send us your feedback and tell us which other employers you'd like to track.

Here is a sample report of the number of unique IT job descriptions during the last 6 months. Note that the actual number of positions can be higher: if a company advertises a "Software Engineer" opening, they may be looking for only 1 or for 10 positions.

Company | Month (2009) | IT open positions (monthly average)
    intel 01 1
    intel 02 1
    intel 03 1
    intel 04 2
    intel 05 2
    intel 06 1

ibm 01 7
    ibm 02 7
    ibm 03 14
    ibm 04 10
    ibm 05 9
    ibm 06 11

symantec 01 9
    symantec 02 8
    symantec 03 10
    symantec 04 10
    symantec 05 9
    symantec 06 12

hp 01 4
    hp 02 1
    hp 03 1
    hp 04 2
    hp 05 2
    hp 06 3

microsoft 01 10
    microsoft 02 6
    microsoft 03 6
    microsoft 04 2
    microsoft 05 1
    microsoft 06 1

oracle 01 15
    oracle 02 9
    oracle 03 8
    oracle 04 6
    oracle 05 2
    oracle 06 1

google 01 15
    google 02 15
    google 03 16
    google 04 12
    google 05 7
    google 06 7

(recruitment agency)
    cpl 03 249
    cpl 04 260
    cpl 05 240
    cpl 06 270

propylon 01 3
    propylon 02 3
    propylon 03 3
    propylon 04 3
    propylon 05 3
    propylon 06 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The recruitment sites are full of fake vacancies so you can forget that as any indicator. FAS have 87 IT vacancies. Which is more realistic perhaps. Only some are development roles. Anyone I know in IT, whos finding it hard to find work, or is out of work at the moment , isn't a coder/programmer. Most of the later are staying put. I don't know anyone contracting at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

Having spent 2.5 months looking for work, I can guarentee most of the jobs submitted are "dummies" or fakes, regardless of which sites you use.

Agencies that have paid to advertise on these sites, but don't have actual jobs to offer job-seekers, put up fake jobs in popular sectors, in order to collect C.V's. :mad:

It's pretty frustrating, and wastes alot of time.

To answer the original question. I don't think the I.T industry has been hit as bad as other sectors...but certainly bad enough to enable employers to offer far less to job seekers. Contracting certainly seems to have almost dried up. :o

Get0fix wrote:
    Having spent 2.5 months looking for work, I can guarentee most of the jobs submitted are "dummies" or fakes, regardless of which sites you use.

Ugh, that's such a pain in the hole.

In a lot of countries, IT contracting picks up in downturns because work still needs to be done, but companies don't want to take on full time staff. Maybe it dries up when it gets really bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

That's weird re irishjobs.ie - I have a (real) job posted up there (http://www.irishjobs.ie/Jobs/Flex-Java-Developer-6055653.aspx) but when I search for the relevent keywords on the front page I get no hits.

Did your searches show that job? Maybe it's a problem with their site, I'll mail and ask...

• Advertisement

fullerand wrote: »
    That's weird re irishjobs.ie - I have a (real) job posted up there (http://www.irishjobs.ie/Jobs/Flex-Java-Developer-6055653.aspx) but when I search for the relevent keywords on the front page I get no hits.

Did your searches show that job? Maybe it's a problem with their site, I'll mail and ask...
    I hope yo didnt pay to have it posted......

Advertisement