Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dept to decide on child benefit changes

Options
  • 29-06-2009 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0628/hanafinm.html

Well it looks like Child Benefit might be the next area hit, I think this is one of the area's the should not be allowed to make savings.

Myself and my wife earn a little above the standard wage and we will probably get hit with these changes. Even if a couple earning 100k plus should be able to keep this money, they pay more in Taxes to the government coffers every year. This money is for the children and should be paid regardless of income.

FF you've done it again, I can't people voted them back in last time :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Even if a couple earning 100k plus should be able to keep this money, they pay more in Taxes to the government coffers every year.
    Such is the system that the people who pay the most tax don't receive the same benefits from the system as those that don't. That's just the way of it.

On one hand I do think this should be the one payment - to a child - that should not be taken from those who make a real contribution towards the tax bill that funds it.

On the other hand, it seems the obvious solution for a government that has to pull 4 billion from it's ass, and it is more important that those who really need it - keep it. At any rate the cries of the middle class may be drowned out by the reactions to other probable reductions in general benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭PullOutMethod

The only fair way is to abolish child benefit completely.
    I have 2 young children and I don't expect anyone else to pay for my decision to have children.

Up until December of last year 80% of the income tax in this country was paid by 20% of the earners.
    40% of workers paid absolutely NOTHING in tax and in fact were net beneficiaries of the system by virtue of the fact that they received benefits like child benefit.
    Thanks Father Sean Healy, I feel great knowing I have to work to pay for other people to have children.
    What a wonderful dysgenic country Ireland is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭techdiver

I have 2 young children and I don't expect anyone else to pay for my decision to have children.

Up until December of last year 80% of the income tax in this country was paid by 20% of the earners.
    40% of workers paid absolutely NOTHING in tax and in fact were net beneficiaries of the system by virtue of the fact that they received benefits like child benefit.
    Thanks Father Sean Healy, I feel great knowing I have to work to pay for other people to have children.

Amen!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    FF you've done it again, I can't people voted them back in last time :rolleyes:

This is an unfortunate reality I'm afraid. Major cutbacks in spending and in particular social welfare payments are needed. As much as I'd like to keep child benefit as it is because I benefit from it, I can recognise that it is necessary to make some changes in it. Taxing it at least keeps the burden on those better able to pay and minimises or avoids cuts in the payment for those worst off who as is pay no tax anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Taxing it is the worst possible think that they can do,benefit fraud is going to rocket.
    There are so many co-habiting couples claiming one parent family allowance already,this is going to make it worse.
    It will also make it worse for people that work and spend more on childcare then their mortgage,that would be better off on social welfare,with rent allowance,the dole,not paying childcare.It will be more beneficial to them to either commit benefit fraud and also to give up work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'd like to correct you here.

80% of income taxes come from the 20% top earners in the country.
    40% of income taxes come from the 5% top earners in the country.

Advertisement