Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overturning Turd Ferguson's site ban - possible?

Options
  • 29-06-2009 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any appeals committee or system set-up to appeal a site-ban?

If someone is site banned is that the end of it or is there any way to appeal the decision or declare it a valid decision, but show that you have learned from it, and will abide by the rules in future.

Is there an expiration date on site-bans or are they indefinite? Can a poster, who is generally liked and considered a good contributor to posts prove that what he done was out of character, and get the ban overturned?

Is there a procedure set-up for such an event?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Prison forum, although whoever it is better not get their hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is it only the banned that can post in the prison forum or can community members put their weight behind an overturning claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think only the banned can post in Prison

I'll give a +1 to reversing the permaban here. Seems a bit harsh for someone that contributed so much to the community

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Quazzie wrote: »
    Is it only the banned that can post in the prison forum or can community members put their weight behind an overturning claim?

Why would you think that other peoples opinion on his ban would bear any weight on my decision?
    That crap he posted was beyond disgusting. I had to clean it up.

The only person I am willing to listen to on this subject is the poster himself.
    Boards does not do popularity contests on banned users.
    Certainly, they are not entertained by the Admins.

I've changed the thread title because I think its fairly obvious that its TF we're talking about.

Turf Ferguson has been a member of Boards a lot longer than I have, over 4 years in fact, and while he does tend to enjoy having fun on the site, he is far from a shill or a troll. he got sitebanned for posting some (very) inappropriate pictures in the weather forum (deleted so only mods/admins can see).

While no one is questiong the decision about whether those pictures deserved a site-ban, there is a valid question about the possible overturning of the ban, and possible reinstating of Turd Ferguson to being the valued member of the forum that many of us have known him to be. The posting of the pictures is in stark contrast to his style and although he might have a varied history of bannings, or infractions, I think its fair to state that those pictures are not normal posting behavious for him.

He has been a valued member on many forums, and knows the rules. He usually keeps within them and knows the limits, thats why it seems so uncharacteristic of him to do such a thing.

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Why would you think that other peoples opinion on his ban would bear any weight on my decision?
    That crap he posted was beyond disgusting. I had to clean it up.

The only person I am willing to listen to on this subject is the poster himself.
    Boards does not do popularity contests on banned users.
    Certainly, they are not entertained by the Admins.

Thats perfectly acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Just as previous ban history might be taken into account when a mod's deciding the length of a ban, a few character references from good posters might be taken into account.

I'm not saying yer man should be unbanned, nor having a go, I'm literally just answering your question.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

He was site banned by collective Mod action (ie: sufficient bans from forums in a short space of time = site ban awaiting admin review). We are now reviewing it.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement