Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disaster.....Camera not working

• 29-06-2009 10:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭

Im getting the following msg when I try to take photo "Error. Press shutter release button again". When I click it again I just get the same message.
    When I take off the lens the mirror is up and at no time does it come down.
    Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do with it?
    The manual says to contact Nikon.
    If so should I send it to Meath?
    Does anyone have any experiences with these?
    Any idea how much it should cost?
    Its a Nikon D40 and the 1 year warranty is up.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭zdooldreb

Nobody ever have a broken Nikon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

What were you doing just prior to this problem?

Have you tried doing a Factory Default Reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Try taking out the battery and re-inserting a fully charged one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

zdooldreb wrote: »
    Nobody ever have a broken Nikon?

Yep...I've one sent back to Nikon UK through the SLR Service Centre in Meath. Different model though, a seven year old Coolpix 5700, and the repair is FOC!:pac:
    If worst comes to worst I can heartily recommend using SLR Service Centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Funny that you mention it. Flash on my Nikon D60 just stopped working. Went into the store where I purchased it... 4 - 6 weeks to fix it. W T F.

Hope the guys in Meath are a bit better on the ball than these Londoners.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.
    I was taking photos in Shutter Priorty mode with normal settings and it stopped working.
    I have done a factory reset. I took out the battery and charged it to the full. I took out the SD card as well. I tried it with the lens off. I have tried changing the modes. I can hear the shutter trying to work when I click the shutter release. Anyone think of anything else I can try?
    I rang the place in Meath today. The girl told me I would need to send in the camera and then in a few days a technician would have a look at it and I would get a quote. If parts are needed then it might take a couple of weeks. Was reading online that this could cost 150 euro. NForce, how are you getting yours fixed FOC?
    I would nearly buy a new D40 for that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Would you try moving the mirror manually with a cocktail stick, but be careful

Yes I have very carefully tried pulling down the mirror making sure not to touch the optics only the plastic. The mirror came down with very little or no resistance but it doesnt stay down, goes straight back up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

There is a known issue with the CCD of the Coolpix 5700 and Nikon are,to their credit, carrying out the repairs free of charge.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

As a longshot you could try doing a Mirror Lock Up & see if will then release like normal.

• Advertisement

Nforce wrote: »
    There is a known issue with the CCD of the Coolpix 5700 and Nikon are,to their credit, carrying out the repairs free of charge.:)
    Good news for you.:)
    I have been looking online at it seems that the problem im having is a popular enough issue. Maybe I could try asking for the same thing:confused:

CabanSail wrote: »
    As a longshot you could try doing a Mirror Lock Up & see if will then release like normal.
    I have just tried to do that however I dont see the option in the setup menu. The battery is fully charged so I dont think thats the problem.
    I took off the lens, turned the camera on (I get my error message straight away) I go into the setup menu but I dont see the option "Mirror Lock-up".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Fwiw, have a read of this
    Under the EU Directive on certain aspects of the sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees (1999/44/EC), which was passed into law in January 2003 (S.I. 11 of 2003) in Ireland, all consumers purchasing goods have a right to a minimum guarantee of two years on products. The seller is liable to the consumer for any lack of conformity which exists when the goods are delivered to the consumer and which becomes apparent within the period of 2 years. The consumer is entitled to ask that the goods be repaired or replaced free of charge. These rights are known as your statutory rights.

From CitizensInformation.ie

Thanks for the info. My camera might be over the two years I will have to check.

Anyone ever try something like this?:)

Advertisement