Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childrens Bank Accounts

Options
  • 29-06-2009 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    I'm reading up on different type of Bank accounts for children. Recently my son made his Holy Communion, so naturally I want him to have his own account. Can anyone give me some advice on the best one and their opinion on Banking with Halifax. They seem to have a good continous incentive.
    Thank you for any helpful comments :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BeQuiet

A credit union account is the way to go ... No fees , and Saturday opening ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭boccy23

We haved Post bank accounts for our boys. The money cannot be removed until they are 12.

This has it's positives and negatvies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

BeQuiet wrote: »
    A credit union account is the way to go ... No fees , and Saturday opening ...

I have this for the kids and have a standing order set up for them weekly.
    Will get them a bank account when they are older.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

foxy06 wrote: »
    I have this for the kids and have a standing order set up for them weekly.
    Will get them a bank account when they are older.

like a mini insurance fund :D nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Frankie70

Thanks for responces!
    Credit union sounds good and easy to set up. Have to do it quickly before he spends it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I have been with Halifax for the past 2 years and find them great.

Not too sure what the Child Saver is like. There is some detailed information here http://www.halifax.ie/index.jsp?p=105&n=134&a=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭BaileysComet

Would opening both a bank and a Credit Union account be an option? Or too much hassle?

It may be advantageous to your children when they are applying for banking products such as loans or mortgages if they could say they've been banking for X years. For example if you opened a bank account for your 10 year old child and they want to apply for a mortgage when they are 25, they will be able to point out that they have been banking with *whichever bank* for 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

crikey, for the Halifax acorn a/c if u fail to make at least 12 payments per year or make more than 2 withdrawals you only get a rate of 0.5%AER..wow, they really bust themselves there:rolleyes:

Advertisement