Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old iPod video with Windows 7

Options
  • 29-06-2009 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

This one is doing my head in. I have both an iPhone 3G and a 30GB iPod video that lives in my car. I used to sync the same library to both - everything to the 30GB and only certain playlists and podcasts to the iPhone. This used to work fine on Windows Visa (64bit) but ever since installing Windows 7 RC the old iPod video won't sync with iTunes any more. It appears in iTunes for a few seconds when you connect it and then disappears. The screen has the "do not disconnect" message on it while its visible in iTunes but then just goes back to the usual menu when it disappears from iTunes.

I've tried to restore it from iTunes but I can't - as it keeps disappearing. I've figured out a workaround for now but it is very annoying as it involves keeping a second iTunes library in a Windows XP virtual machine, having to download podcasts twice - once on the virtual macine and once in my regular iTunes.

I could just ditch the 30GB iPod video, it has been flawless for years and owes me nothing but my car's ipod dock doesn't work with the iPhone (2G or 3G, regardless of software version). It does work with the iPod Touch though, but I'm not spending the money on one :pac:

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

*bump* anyone got any ideas? Its driving me nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Stephen wrote: »
    *bump* anyone got any ideas? Its driving me nuts!
    What version of iTunes is it? Have you tried running iTunes in Vista compatibility mode? Did you upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 or do a fresh install?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Have you updated to the Windows 7 RC and gotten the latest version of iTunes? If you haven't, do that and see if it works.

Yeah i'm running the RC of Windows 7. It was a clean install. iTunes is version 8.2 - I even used it to update my iPhone to 3.0 successfully.

Yeah i'm running the RC of Windows 7. It was a clean install. iTunes is version 8.2 - I even used it to update my iPhone to 3.0 successfully.
    Try connecting the iPod through a different USB port.

• Advertisement

That did the trick, thanks! Very strange.

edit: argh, no it didn't! It was able to do the first sync of my main library but then after that as soon as I connect it it appears for a few seconds. It stays visible in iTunes but the "do not disconnect" message disappears from the ipod's screen and any attempt to sync results in a long timeout period followed by a message saying "The iPod (name) cannot be synced. The required disk cannot be found". Bugger.

That did the trick, thanks! Very strange.

edit: argh, no it didn't! It was able to do the first sync of my main library but then after that as soon as I connect it it appears for a few seconds. It stays visible in iTunes but the "do not disconnect" message disappears from the ipod's screen and any attempt to sync results in a long timeout period followed by a message saying "The iPod (name) cannot be synced. The required disk cannot be found". Bugger.
    Are you operating as an Administrator?

I've tried running iTunes both with and without admin rights, there's no difference. I've also tried it with UAC on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

A similar thing was happening to me.

Your USB's could be set to disconnect after a predetermined set of time, as a power saving option. If this is the case, then it will disconnect your iPod video. I recently bought a laptop where this was the case and it kept disconnecting my o2 broadband dongle. I reset the USB ports to not automatically disconnect and it cured my problem. It might not be the case but it might be worth trying.

i read a thread on here about it and thats where I heard about it. If I find it I'll post it

Here it is. Hope it helps.
    With some devices, the PC can shut down the power to the USB device. You can stop this by going into Control Panel > System devices > USB device and then the power management tab. Uncheck the box that says something like, Allow the PC to shut down power to this device. Sometimes USB disconnect issues are power related.

I'll give that a go when I get home - thanks!

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    A similar thing was happening to me.

Your USB's could be set to disconnect after a predetermined set of time, as a power saving option. If this is the case, then it will disconnect your iPod video. I recently bought a laptop where this was the case and it kept disconnecting my o2 broadband dongle. I reset the USB ports to not automatically disconnect and it cured my problem. It might not be the case but it might be worth trying.

i read a thread on here about it and thats where I heard about it. If I find it I'll post it

Here it is. Hope it helps.
    I though that too but his iPhone 3G seems to be working grand.

Might be a bit far fetched but are you using the newer iPhone cable with the older iPod Video?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'll give that a go when I get home - thanks!
    If ti works I'll consider myself a techie, even though I only found what a dongle was when I read that a few weeks ago myself:D
    cpu-dude wrote: »
    I though that too but his iPhone 3G seems to be working grand.

Might be a bit far fetched but are you using the newer iPhone cable with the older iPod Video?
    Strangely enough my iPhone3G never disconnected, it was only my O2 broadband :confused:

Nope, I'm still using the old cable. I actually use the old cable with the iPhone too, the iPhone one is still in its packaging!

Nope, I'm still using the old cable. I actually use the old cable with the iPhone too, the iPhone one is still in its packaging!
    Can you see what happens with the new cable in a new USB port?

Also, before you do the above, try creating a new user and doing it from there.

I think I have this solved :)
    The trick was getting it into disk mode. Once in disk mode it seems to play well with Windows 7. Unfortunately it wouldn't stay connected long enough to get it into disk mode so I created a new Windows user, logged on as them and connected the iPod. iTunes asked if I wanted to wipe the iPod and I let it go ahead. Then it did its usual crap of disconnecting from the system.
    I added a few token bits and pieces to the new user's iTunes library (about 1GB) and then unplugged and reconnected the iPod again. It started to sync the new content onto the now-blank iPod. It stays connected while doing that initial sync, so while it was doing that I was able to hit the "enable disk use" checkbox and apply it. Only then was I able to log back on as me and wipe it all over again. But now I can add/remove stuff as I please \o/

Advertisement