Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anime vs Cartoons?

Options
  • 29-06-2009 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Ok I know anime is different to cartoons. My friend seems to only believe that anime is like rugrats and other childrens cartoons. I told him it was the style of the anime that was different to the cartoon. Also, that some anime can be childish but some can be for adults. I really don't know what else to say to him really. He still isn't convinced that anime is different to a childrens cartoon... Any help??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

despite being a troll thread there was a few decent points made here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Why do you care what they think? Unless they are slagging you for watching "cartoons" and if that's the case who cares? they're missing out on some great television and films.

Show them something like Akira and then ask them if they think anime is for kids or better yet chuck on some hardcore hentai or yaoi and see what they think :p. Anime just means Japanese animation which can cover all ages and all topics. So yes some anime is geared towards children but just as much is geared towards adults just as some is geared towards males and some towards females.

The word "cartoons" tends to bring an image of saturday morning animation but the whole genre of animation covers again all ages and all topics. There are loads of examples of animation currently on television that aren't aimed at kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Even though this website was created by a hatred anime fan, it should help explaining the difference between anime and cartoons.;)

http://www.asianime.org/what-is-anime/

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

Show your friend some decent animations? It is irritating when people just assume all animation = kid's cartoons, but y'know, if you can't convince them otherwise, who cares anyway. Anime isn't exactly different to 'cartoons', as in, not all anime is necessarily aimed at adults and not all cartoons are necessarily animed at children. I don't think you can reel off to him any list of definitive differences between 'anime' and 'cartoons' because there's really no point trying to come up with a strict definition for each term and trying to group every show every made into each category, it would be far too complicated and subject to disagreement... they just have to accept that animation comes in all sorts and isn't always in the form of a kid's cartoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Even though this website was created by a hatred anime fan, it should help explaining the difference between anime and cartoons.;)

lol no.

• Advertisement

Just read that and what a load or rubbish, that is clearly written by someone who doesn't understand how the animation industry works.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

Funky wrote: »
    despite being a troll thread there was a few decent points made here

No this isn't a troll thread, it's really annoying when your friend thinks that all you watch is stuff like rugrats. He's the equivalent of that Boards user called "Ass".
    Meller wrote: »
    Show your friend some decent animations? It is irritating when people just assume all animation = kid's cartoons, but y'know, if you can't convince them otherwise, who cares anyway. Anime isn't exactly different to 'cartoons', as in, not all anime is necessarily aimed at adults and not all cartoons are necessarily animed at children. I don't think you can reel off to him any list of definitive differences between 'anime' and 'cartoons' because there's really no point trying to come up with a strict definition for each term and trying to group every show every made into each category, it would be far too complicated and subject to disagreement... they just have to accept that animation comes in all sorts and isn't always in the form of a kid's cartoon.

I know! I've brought up the whole well you watch south park thing, but he says there is a million kids cartoons to one adult one. He considers Yugi-oh childish, even though I know that adults in Japan watch that....
    Even though this website was created by a hatred anime fan, it should help explaining the difference between anime and cartoons.wink.gif

That background is hurting my eyes!!!!
    ztoical wrote: »
    Why do you care what they think? Unless they are slagging you for watching "cartoons" and if that's the case who cares? they're missing out on some great television and films.

Show them something like Akira and then ask them if they think anime is for kids or better yet chuck on some hardcore hentai or yaoi and see what they think :p. Anime just means Japanese animation which can cover all ages and all topics. So yes some anime is geared towards children but just as much is geared towards adults just as some is geared towards males and some towards females.

The word "cartoons" tends to bring an image of saturday morning animation but the whole genre of animation covers again all ages and all topics. There are loads of examples of animation currently on television that aren't aimed at kids.

I'm going to show him this thread tomorrow. Thanks for all your help guys!

Burial wrote: »
    No this isn't a troll thread, it's really annoying when your friend thinks that all you watch is stuff like rugrats. He's the equivalent of that Boards user called "Ass".

I think they meant the thread they were linking to was a troll thread not this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

edit: nm ztoical beat me to it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

Lol! Ah right! Sorry for that then!

• Advertisement
Advertisement