Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is mechanic ripping us off?

• 29-06-2009 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Brother recently had a small bump - crashed into one of those bollards on the middle of the road (nobody hurt tg) - car didn't look too badly damaged (mainly the right wing) so he went straight to mechanic and left it in for 3 days. Mechanic said it might cost a few bob and to be prepared coz he could see some serious damage underneath.

The bill came to over 3000! We've an invoice broken down into all the parts/pieces he's replaced in the car and I'm wondering if I can do a price comparison online? Or could I ask another mechanic about this? Labour was just over 300 so it couldn't have taken him that long to do it!

I'm convinced he's being ripped-off. €470 to respary the right wing for example..?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Well, did he not give a quote of 3k first and then you give the go ahead to start the work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Need more details than that but €470 for a professional respray on a wing sounds cheap to me, had a bill of €1600 for a rear mudguard and panel spray on a landcruiser from a main dealer.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

I got a quote (which I am ignoring) for €1,000 to replace a door handle, fix a one-inch dent and respray the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I got a quote (which I am ignoring) for €1,000 to replace a door handle, fix a one-inch dent and respray the area.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Communicator

No, he didn't give him a quote per say. He's a 'friend' of my brothers and just told him it'd be expensive but that he'd keep him posted...when he went up to collect the car, he handed him the invoice for 2,733.20 + VAT.

Is there a website I can do a price comparison?

I have the invoice in front of me..other stuff says..

1 fog light €100
    1 fog light surround & chromes €44.00
    I wing linger €25.20
    I clip € 5.00
    1 front bumper €436.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

What make of car is it? I assume he used genuine parts? The paint job, did it include the bumber? Is the paint metalic?

Yes, it's metallic paint.

How would you know if (for instance) the 'wishbone arm €95' is a genuine part. The external stuff looks genuine but there seems to be alot of stuff that the naked eye can't see. Radiator mount €50 and Radiator bracket and bush €30 for example...
    It's an opel and for the life of me I can't remember what make but it's not one of the common names (astra or micra etc) Its like an estate car..I'll google opel and see if I can find the name as its not on the invoice...

Edit - It's an open insignia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Yes, it's metallic paint.

How would you know if (for instance) the 'wishbone arm €95' is a genuine part. The external stuff looks genuine but there seems to be alot of stuff that the naked eye can't see. Radiator mount €50 and Radiator bracket and bush €30 for example...
    It's an opel and for the life of me I can't remember what make but it's not one of the common names (astra or micra etc) Its like an estate car..I'll google opel and see if I can find the name as its not on the invoice...

Could it ba an odd ball import that parts are few and far between for? Maybe he did need to go to a main dealer for the parts. TBH, looking at say the Foglight,€100 seems right, I was quoted nearly the same for a Mondeo F/light from a main dealer.

so maybe he wasn't ripped off afterall?? I just thought it was very expensive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

From what he replaced - sound like there was quite a bit of damage i.e. radiator mounts will get damaged if you have decent shunt. The bumper will probably look ok aswell as it is designed to pop back out.

If you want to check the prices - ring a dealer's service dept and get a quote for a few parts. That will give you an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Metalic don't come too cheap and he would have had to paint the bumber? It seems there was a lot of damage, when you start putting in wishbones, radiators and god knows what else was damaged.
    Did he not have fully comp insurance?
    The quote possibly was fair, €2730 ex vat.

So i can just ring an opel dealer and ask for a price on a few of the parts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Well it's a brand new car, parts are more than likely genuine. Any photos? Also sounds like he did a fair bit of damage

So i can just ring an opel dealer and ask for a price on a few of the parts?

You can ring any parts department of a dealer to check oem parts. Ive bought a few bits and pieces from vag dealers over the years, and compared prices on spurious vs oem. Its just like an expensive motor factors.

Maybe it's not an insignia as it's an 04? It looked like an insignia when I googled opel cars...I just know it's not one of the more common opel cars as I'd never heard of it when he bought it...

No photos sorry...It honestly wasn't that much of a bump - I was in the car with him at the time...he was driving down a long road that had those speed islands in the centre and had to swerve in and out of them..he swerved left, but not enough obviously and the right wing went straight into the steel pole thingy at the island. But neither of us had a bump or scratch. I had an accident last year (someone bumped into the back of me) and I can honestly say that it was a hundred times worse than this accident. And yet there was €470 damage done to my car that time and I only drive a smaller corsa...

TBH - without seeing the damage, noone can say whether the parts needed to be replaced or not. Some of the prices quoted seem ok. From the list of parts, it sounds like a big enough hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

If it's that sort of a bill it's for the insurance company to sort out.
    I'm just wondering have you all the facts, I think it was more than a small bang.

I've all the facts alright - like I said, I was in the car with him and saw the damage...obviously much more happened internally than we could see though. He was trying not to go through insurance coz it's already through the roof (he's 23) which is the main reason he was amazed about the cost..

I'll ring a dealer anyway and just get a price comparison...thanks for advice guys, appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Was this one of those rising bollards? They tend to do a lot more damage to the underneath of a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

an Opel Insignia is a failry new car..that was cheap..i got hit the wing on my VW Bora last year and it cost me 2000euro to get it fixed,it was driveable with the damage that was done but just didnt look great,Panel Beating is a costly game because their is a lot of dodgy panel beaters,all the good ones charge Big money..

• Advertisement

Yes it was one of those rising bollards..

It has since been removed because it was causing too many accidents !

Too late for my bro, though!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Is it a Signum by any chance OP??

opel-signum.jpg

Pretty rare machine in these parts.

That's it! Yes, it's a signum...knew I'd never heard the name before!! Are they not doing them anymore? Perhaps the parts were hard to get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Communictator - Signum parts would be expensive and sould like there was lots of damage, them lot of stripping,repairing, painting (metalic) etc.
    Then the Vat, 3k would easily be tallied up.

great thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Trinny_Wicklow

Looking at the NCA's website they have some pointers around this sort of thing:

First you should complain to the person or garage which carried out the work. Ask what they will do about putting things right - if the work was done by a garage, you should complain to the manager.

If you are not satisfied with the response you get, and the person or garage is a member of a trade association - for example the Society of the Irish Motor Industry (SIMI) - you could consider taking the matter up with that association. If there has been a breach of consumer law you should complain to the NCA.

If you are not getting anywhere with either the person, the garage or the trade association, you might consider taking the matter to the Small Claims Court. This Court deals with disputes up to a value of €2000 for a fee of €15 and there is no need to hire a solicitor.

Among the problems you may wish to complain about to the person or garage which did the work are:
    1. Generic (sometimes called "spurious" parts in the trade) being used if you specified you wanted genuine manufacturer parts
    2. Second-hand parts being used instead of new parts
    3. Additional work being done without prior approval from the car owner
    4. Misinformation about the need to change a vital part - such as a timing belt - after a certain number of miles
    So if they did use spurious parts then you can complain.

You can read the full guide here http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Buying-a-car/Car-service-and-car-repair.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

A 04 Signum with 3k's worth of damage could easily be a write-off. Those yokes are worth buttons.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200911192164473

To be honest, given the rarity of the Signum and the fact that Opel built it as some kind of prestige Opel I'd imagine the parts are pretty expensive. Don't think €3k is exhorbatant given the damage that could be inflicted by a metal pole rising under a car.

As an aside, the Signum is a very very strange car, what segment is it aimed at?

If you are not satisfied with the response you get, and the person or garage is a member of a trade association - for example the Society of the Irish Motor Industry (SIMI) - you could consider taking the matter up with that association.

Great bunch of lads for dealing with complaints:pac:

Seriously OP, from what you've said I'd say 3k is easily possible. A lot of money to spend repairing that particular car though

• Advertisement

bigkev49 wrote: »
    As an aside, the Signum is a very very strange car, what segment is it aimed at?

Back seat drivers I seem to remember.

Bloody You Tube is blocked here so can't elaborate!!!

What do you mean it's a strange car? Being female, I'm not a car person at all...I was amazed that it was an opel when I realised tbh.

He only bought it last year for 4,500...I dunno what he's gonna do..the mechanic has done the work, the car is back on the road and he's given him €500 to date but the mechanic is hounding him for the balance..

Would he have to get price comparisons before he approaches that complains organisation? Or would they investigate it on his behalf?

EPM wrote: »
    Back seat drivers I seem to remember.

Bloody You Tube is blocked here so can't elaborate!!!

Ah come on now, this is the Motors forum, we all know about Mr.Clarksons stunt in it! :pac::pac:

It is an extremely odd car though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Trinny_Wicklow

Would he have to get price comparisons before he approaches that complains organisation? Or would they investigate it on his behalf?

Its the Small Claims Court so you have to do everything yourself. They wouldn't be investigating for you.

What do you mean it's a strange car? Being female, I'm not a car person at all...I was amazed that it was an opel when I realised tbh.

I mean it's strange because it's basically an estate Vectra except GM (Opels parent company) marketed it as some kind of prestige car and as a totally separate machine to the Vectra.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭gorrrr72

bigkev49 wrote: »
    To be honest, given the rarity of the Signum and the fact that Opel built it as some kind of prestige Opel I'd imagine the parts are pretty expensive. Don't think €3k is exhorbatant given the damage that could be inflicted by a metal pole rising under a car.

Not really expected to sell many in Ireland, it would be aimed at the UK and European market. If they sold 100 per year in Ireland I would be surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

gorrrr72 wrote: »
    If they sold 100 per year in Ireland I would be surprised.

If they sold 100 in total in Ireland, I'd be surprised!

OP, it seems like a big bill, but it doesn't seem an unreasonable amount of repairs if you've mount a bollard and done damage to suspension, radiator, front bumper, wing etc. etc.

What you need to do (if you are properly suspicious) is show the invoice to another repairer to see if it's reasonable. Maybe ask to see the old, damaged parts too so you know for definite they've been replaced.

I'd really like to ask you why you're suspicious? I thought this was a "friend" or close-ish contact. Do you really think they're ripping you off for thousands?
    Is the only thing making you suspicious the fact that it's more expensive than you thought, or are there other factors?

I wouldn't be going to small claims court just yet, tbh.

It's a bit of both tbh.

He is a friend of my brothers but his garage is going under - or so the rumour mill says - and a few people have recently noticed how much he's hiked his prices up, when all around him are reducing theirs.

He has let 2 mechanics go from the place and there is now only himself and one apprentice...
    I thought garages like this were doing quite well at the moment due to the fact that there aren't alot of new cars around - but he's not doing well at all.

So it was a mixture of the final invoice (another pal of his told his told him to expect a bill for around 1700 + VAT) AND the fact that he's not doing well, financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sounds cheap to me. Repairs dont get cheaper just cause the value of the car is low. Thats why stuff like this gets written off easily.
    So you had wing, wheel arch liner, spot light & surround, Bumper, Various fixings and bushes and a wishbone arm at least. Then painting metallic including painting a bumper which requires special treatment I think due to the flexibility.
    I think the mistake here is on your own side in not realising the extent of the damage although garage should have given accurate quote before commencing.

Yes, I think that was his real mistake. I told him to get a quote from him first, but will younger brothers listen?? No! There are a few other garages locally and I advised him to shop around but no, he trusted this fella and tbh, I think it's partly down to the fact that this mechanic is known to let you pay your bill in installments, which suited him perfectly.

Could someone please, please tell me what a wishbone arm is???????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yes, I think that was his real mistake. I told him to get a quote from him first, but will younger brothers listen?? No! There are a few other garages locally and I advised him to shop around but no, he trusted this fella and tbh, I think it's partly down to the fact that this mechanic is known to let you pay your bill in installments, which suited him perfectly.

A wishbone is a very large, typically L shaped, piece of metal which holds the front wheel in the correct position. €95 is not expensive for a wishbone, infact it's very cheap.

It sounds like not only the front wing of the car hit the bollard but the front wheel did too....

You'll need to post an inventory of the parts replaced, but based on what you've said it doesn't sound excessive at all...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

It's a suspension component.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_wishbone_suspension

ooooooooooooooooooH. Thanks. Female here and a suspension component sounds even more complicated that a wishbone arm to me Mod!! But thanks..

Sorry"! Didn't see the link to the photo!!

NOW I know what it is...thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 The Hurricane

For whats its worth Ive seen a few damaged cars had a few tips myself and you are definately being ripped off. My friend skidded on a well worn road the council refuse to resurface even though there have been 6 accidents in the last few months. She crashed a totota corolla off one side of ditch and spun and caught a wall and needed 2 new bumpers lights grill and moved the bonnet it looked a write off. She got a panel beater to fix it for 1600 euro way more damage than your story. I had a lady reverse into my door a few years back needed new door and had to be resprayed with metallic paint and all in labour vat was 800 euro. Go back to your brothers mate say you have 2 quotes for half his cost and refuse to pay the 3k and say the most your paying is 1500 he can take that or leave it.If his business is in trouble he wont want the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Mechanics never rip people off :rolleyes:

/thread

For whats its worth Ive seen a few damaged cars had a few tips myself and you are definately being ripped off. My friend skidded on a well worn road the council refuse to resurface even though there have been 6 accidents in the last few months. She crashed a totota corolla off one side of ditch and spun and caught a wall and needed 2 new bumpers lights grill and moved the bonnet it looked a write off. She got a panel beater to fix it for 1600 euro way more damage than your story. I had a lady reverse into my door a few years back needed new door and had to be resprayed with metallic paint and all in labour vat was 800 euro. Go back to your brothers mate say you have 2 quotes for half his cost and refuse to pay the 3k and say the most your paying is 1500 he can take that or leave it.If his business is in trouble he wont want the hassle.

You haven't seen this one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

he crashed the car didnt bother to check out prices and told the garage to fix it.

car is fixed and looks to have been fixed to your brothers satisfaction.

now he is crying because its to expensive.

he should have got a quote or told garage to do it on the cheap.

nothing he can do now only pay the garage and stop crying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

he crashed the car didnt bother to check out prices and told the garage to fix it.

car is fixed and looks to have been fixed to your brothers satisfaction.

now he is crying because its to expensive.

he should have got a quote or told garage to do it on the cheap.

nothing he can do now only pay the garage and stop crying

+1. Also he must have only looked at the external damage and not the damage that is hidden from view.

Advertisement