Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Digital TV HD Media Player 1080p - €100 delivered [Expansys]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

down to £40 now.

Actually this seems to be the Mini version that only does up to 1080i and no hdmi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Scruff wrote: »
    down to £40 now.

Actually this seems to be the Mini version that only does up to 1080i and no hdmi

looks like a good price although is not the HD version
    here's feature comparision
    http://products.wdc.com/library/matrix/eng/4178-705080.pdf

(just saw you edited post after :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

looks like a good price although is not the HD version
    here's feature comparision
    http://products.wdc.com/library/matrix/eng/4178-705080.pdf

(just saw you edited post after :))

Is this a 1tb as well? Sorry just can't seem to find that info...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

niallo24 wrote: »
    Is this a 1tb as well? Sorry just can't seem to find that info...

Its alright, just found it!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭465

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I am having a problem with my WD HD TV and I think you may be able help.
    I recently bought a Blu-ray drive for my PC with the intention of ripping a blu-ray disc and playing it off the media player.
    Here's what I did:
    Ripped the main movie to my PC with DVDfab.
    Then put the resulting data to an ISOfile using poweriso.
    Then put the iso to my external hard-drive and hooked that to the media player.

When I tried to play it, I got an error message saying it could not play this type of format.
    So has anyone tried to play blu-rays on their WD?
    or can anyone help?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

465 wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I am having a problem with my WD HD TV and I think you may be able help.
    I recently bought a Blu-ray drive for my PC with the intention of ripping a blu-ray disc and playing it off the media player.
    Here's what I did:
    Ripped the main movie to my PC with DVDfab.
    Then put the resulting data to an ISOfile using poweriso.
    Then put the iso to my external hard-drive and hooked that to the media player.

When I tried to play it, I got an error message saying it could not play this type of format.
    So has anyone tried to play blu-rays on their WD?
    or can anyone help?

Its known as an issue- particularly with 1st generation players.
    Apparently ISO incompatability is most prevalent with short files- aka video clips of less than 30 minutes. The work around is to use .mkv containers- rather than ISO files. If you have a google- its well discussed on other forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

Sorry to post in an old thread but I have a WDTV one of the first released models, it's running the lastest firmware and I want to add a WIFI USB dongal to the unit.

Bit of a novice at this but can you guys let me know what adapters are compatible and what I'd need to take to get working in order to access an NAS drive. Cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

See here and here.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this myself yet, I'm waiting for this to arrive from HK...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

peckerhead wrote: »
    See here and here.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this myself yet, I'm waiting for this to arrive from HK...

Cheers for the links, been reading through the forum all morning, bit of a mind field. Seems like people have been having issues with adapters for the new WDTV Live.

Might leave it for the mo, seems like too much heartache.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Ok so i purchased 1 of these:

http://www.memoryc.com/storage/multimediad...imediadisk.html

Finally got around to hooking it up to my tv and watching a movie on Friday nite.The problem is that i aint watced a full movie on it yet.About 30/40 mins into each movie (and i've tried 5) the movie freezes.If i stop the movie playing and try it again it gives the option to resume.When i resume i get a black screen.As i've mentioned i've tried 5 different movies and the same thing happens.And as i've mentioned,funnilly enough it seems to happen around the same time in each movie.

So just wondering if anybody else with a multimediadrive has experienced similar problems.Am i just dealing with a faulty multimediadrive or is it just simply got to do with settings or is it the the file type.The first 2 movies are divx,but this player does support this type of file so.I'm lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

aceberg wrote: »
    Ok so i purchased 1 of these:

http://www.memoryc.com/storage/multimediad...imediadisk.html

Finally got around to hooking it up to my tv and watching a movie on Friday nite.The problem is that i aint watced a full movie on it yet.About 30/40 mins into each movie (and i've tried 5) the movie freezes.If i stop the movie playing and try it again it gives the option to resume.When i resume i get a black screen.As i've mentioned i've tried 5 different movies and the same thing happens.And as i've mentioned,funnilly enough it seems to happen around the same time in each movie.

So just wondering if anybody else with a multimediadrive has experienced similar problems.Am i just dealing with a faulty multimediadrive or is it just simply got to do with settings or is it the the file type.The first 2 movies are divx,but this player does support this type of file so.I'm lost.

Your link is bad. Are you talking about a Western Digital device, or something else?

Ah sorry m8.It's 1TB LaCie LaCinema Classic Multimedia Hard Disk
    JDxtra wrote: »
    Your link is bad. Are you talking about a Western Digital device, or something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I seem to have encountered a rather annoying problem with my wdtv. I had a WD 250GB passport which was working fine until the HD broke. I got a new Seagate 500GB HD but after a few minutes watching a video the screen goes completely green like this:

14122009391.jpg

The same video files will work fine on a memory stick once the Seagate HD is unplugged.

Has had anyone had a similar problem or any idea how to solve it. Seems ridiculous that every other drive works with the wdtv except this one. The Seagate drive works fine otherwise and connects to my computer fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Has had anyone had a similar problem or any idea how to solve it. Seems ridiculous that every other drive works with the wdtv except this one. The Seagate drive works fine otherwise and connects to my computer fine.

If the problem only occurs with one specific drive, try running a full disk check (incl recovery of bad sectors) from Windows. Will take many hours depending on the size of the drive. More drastic would be a reformat (again, a full one) and then re-copy the movies on.

Ive never seen a green screen, but ive had movies freeze up on me with my WDTV, and the cause was a bad HDD and hence corrupt files. Use a sfv check to verify files after you copy them on if need be.

If the problem only occurs with one specific drive, try running a full disk check (incl recovery of bad sectors) from Windows. Will take many hours depending on the size of the drive. More drastic would be a reformat (again, a full one) and then re-copy the movies on.

Ive never seen a green screen, but ive had movies freeze up on me with my WDTV, and the cause was a bad HDD and hence corrupt files. Use a sfv check to verify files after you copy them on if need be.

Whats an sfv check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

aceberg wrote: »
    Whats an sfv check
    Its just a way of verifying that a copied file is 100% the same as the original. Sometimes when you copy a file from your computer to say an external drive, the transfer might seem to have gone fine, but actually some of the file is missing or corrupt. Usually caused by a hard-drive with wear or damage.

If you generate a sfv of the file when its on your computer (where you know the file is good) you can then use that sfv to check the integrity of the file as you copy it around from place to place.

Try Quicksfv for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Just spotted the new cheaper wdtv mini is only 29.99 on amazon now
    Hopefully this link will work amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Doh only bought a netgear eva2000 off ibood last week would of prefered the mini , as the netgear takes ages to boot up

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ryaner7777

I've lost my WDTV remote. anyone got any idea where i can get a new one in a brick & mortar store ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

yoshytoshy wrote: »

Was looking at this last night. It doesn't mention that is plays mkv files..... You'll have to go a step up for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭karlyk1

Sorry for bringing back up an old(ish) thread (also, not sure if it should be in 'requests' or not, so Mods feel free to move) but I really want to get my hands on one of these WD Media Players. I slipped up when Basquille first posted this as it was out of stock by the time I went to purchase (damn my inability to make a decision!). Any site I source now gives me the old 'not available for delivery to Ireland' bull. Very frustrating!
    Does anybody know of a site that WILL deliver here, and is reputable?
    Cheers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

You can get it here

http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MME1411060&productID=S7409532

Just be aware that the firmware development appears to be discontinued on the wdtv Gen 1 & 2.

There are issues with newer mkv files, no sound/vision. It means that the mkv files require remuxing.

You might consider a more recently released media player.
    I'd wait for the boxee box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Jo Satan wrote: »
    You can get it here

http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MME1411060&productID=S7409532

Just be aware that the firmware development appears to be discontinued on the wdtv Gen 1 & 2.

There are issues with newer mkv files, no sound/vision. It means that the mkv files require remuxing.

You might consider a more recently released media player.
    I'd wait for the boxee box
    I got my WDTV box from elara and have no problems with playing mkv files.

How can I tell i my box is Gen 1 or 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Got the WD TV Live from Amazon two weeks ago no problem. Easily one of the best things I've ever bought!

quazzy wrote: »
    I got my WDTV box from elara and have no problems with playing mkv files.

How can I tell i my box is Gen 1 or 2?

Gen 2 has a DTS sticker in the top right hand corner, Gen 1 doesn't. The Gen 1 has an all black facia- the Gen 2 has a small silver Western Digital badge also.

TheGen 2 has hardware decoding of 2 channel DTS- the Gen 1 doesn't- thats the principle difference between the 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

This is the guy you want:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Live-Media-Player/dp/B002LZUHMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283776182&sr=8-1

There is one without ethernet for about 20 quid less. There is a list of supported USB wireless adapters on western digital site too.

Great box - I have one and another on the way. It plays everything and has a simple easy to understand interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Amaru KGB

My Samsung TV has a USB port but does not support DIVX files. Is there an update you can get so you can play media files or would I have to buy a box.

If so, what basic box could you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭angelmum

amaru

im not sure what model your samsung tv is set but i got my usb port on samsung to play divx and mkv's using the advice on this forum

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/984624-samsung-b550-enabling-mkv-divx-xvid-playback-part-1-a.html#post11885698

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

angelmum wrote: »
    amaru

im not sure what model your samsung tv is set but i got my usb port on samsung to play divx and mkv's using the advice on this forum

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/984624-samsung-b550-enabling-mkv-divx-xvid-playback-part-1-a.html#post11885698

Which model Samsung do you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭angelmum

madmoe wrote: »
    Which model Samsung do you have?

i have the samsung le40b550 but i've read on that forum that it worked on some models as well

i have the samsung le40b550 but i've read on that forum that it worked on some models as well

Cheers angelmum, I'll have a look at that and let you know how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

I picked up this exact media player for 26€ on ebay €40 inc. delivery so beware and shop around... fantastic piece of kit tho

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭he man rugger

derra_121 wrote: »
    I picked up this exact media player for 26€ on ebay €40 inc. delivery so beware and shop around... fantastic piece of kit tho

Jeez, thats an amazing price! Was it a power seller selling them or were you lucky to come across someone just getting rid of their old one?

Just realised my T.V is an LG, doh! I'm not sure it can work with my model

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Jeez, thats an amazing price! Was it a power seller selling them or were you lucky to come across someone just getting rid of their old one?

Im not too sure to be honest.. I dont think he is a power seller but it was brand new in a box covered in cellophane and works a charm..

The seller id was leeter3 I just checked his page and he doesn't seem to have any for sale at the moment but keep checking you might get one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I've completely given up on this player. Every file (avi or mkv) file that I try and play is now out of sync. It used to be fine but for some reason it is now happening on every file. I've tried changing the firmware but nothing seems to work.

From research on it, other people seem to have the same problem especially with mkv files so beware. I don't think it is a problem with the WDTV Live but the first generation of WDTV players seem to have a real problem with it and WDTV seem to have stopped releasing new firmware for that generation.

I bought this Hisense Media Player and streamer after good reviews on avforums. From expansys it worked out at about €60 including delivery:

http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=186127

Edit: They seem to have upped the price of that so it would be about €80 delivered now. Can't wait for it to arrive so that I can watch Boardwalk Empire:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭banchang

How do you get Boardwalk Empire through this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

banchang wrote: »
    How do you get Boardwalk Empire through this ?
    I presume The_Sparrow means "acquiring" copyrighted copies by questionable methods.

And such methods shall not be discussed here! ;)
    I've completely given up on this player. Every file (avi or mkv) file that I try and play is now out of sync. It used to be fine but for some reason it is now happening on every file. I've tried changing the firmware but nothing seems to work.

From research on it, other people seem to have the same problem especially with mkv files so beware. I don't think it is a problem with the WDTV Live but the first generation of WDTV players seem to have a real problem with it and WDTV seem to have stopped releasing new firmware for that generation.
    FWIW, I have a WDTV (first generation model, as in the original post) that I use at least once a day to watch TV shows and films. I probably have it on at least 15 - 20 hours a week, and I can't remember the last file it didn't like.

Could be your hard drive isn't fast enough to handle buffering.

Basq wrote: »
    I presume The_Sparrow means "acquiring" copyrighted copies by questionable methods.

And such methods shall not be discussed here! ;)

Not trying to discuss them, just out of ignorance wondered if there was some magic this player had which enabled him to get Boardwalk Empire...

banchang wrote: »
    Not trying to discuss them, just out of ignorance wondered if there was some magic this player had which enabled him to get Boardwalk Empire...

No there isn't.
    The player plays files from a memory stick (or a hard-drive, or streaming from the internet). If you're streaming over the internet, some shows will be locked to a particular country or region. I'm not going to talk about downloading the shows outright onto a memory key- as I don't want to be banned- suffice to say- Google is your friend......

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭foghlu

There are other options too like the Sumvision Media players that are much cheaper than Western Digital and in some cases much better. Worth checking out on Amazon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Basq wrote: »

FWIW, I have a WDTV (first generation model, as in the original post) that I use at least once a day to watch TV shows and films. I probably have it on at least 15 - 20 hours a week, and I can't remember the last file it didn't like.

Could be your hard drive isn't fast enough to handle buffering.

Yeah, I've had the same 1st gen WDTV since it came out and have only had a sync problem when I borrowed a mate's noname brand drive for a bit. I do have one series of AVIs that do not play but it is probably because they are using a very old/obscure codec so I will convert them. (Legit files).

I seen others with net access (Apart from Youtube, pointless outside the US IMHO) and internal drives etc and none of them compare with my trusty WDTV using stock (updated) software/firmware

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've a WDTV Live and all the recent firmware updates (1.04 onward) have been terrible. Taking forever to start streaming, freezing on files that previously had no problem, etc. I had to rollback to v1.03.49.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭dunleas

Just ordered the WD Live from Amazon UK 95 euros with free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

is this worth buying I seen one in easons yesterday for 160 170 euro

I do have one series of AVIs that do not play but it is probably because they are using a very old/obscure codec so I will convert them. (Legit files).

I also have a number of AVIs which won't play on my WDTV - what do you use to convert them, & what do you convert them to ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I've started to re-encode most of my media using handbrake to standardise it and generally cut down on file sizes.

It might do the trick for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

is this worth buying I seen one in easons yesterday for 160 170 euro

Or you could get a LaCie 1TB LaCinema Classic HD HDMI including delivery for €157

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭465

I bought a basic WD HD TV back in the day, when this thread first began, and I have used it every night very successfully.
    My friend now wants me to order a media player for him but the original WD does not seem to be sold anymore and the WD live and WD plus are a bit pricey.
    So can anyone recomend a good media player particularly for 720p BRRIP avi,s and X264 MKVs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

I got one of these WD Live TV a while back, its the business for films.

I also bought this cisco wireless dongle this 2TB WD Hardrive on amazon.

I got this Targa wireless keyboard in Lidl a while back and pluged that in to and it works perfectly for browsing the built in youtube browser.

I find the WD Live very hand as a wireless file server. I've moved my Itunes collection from my laptop over onto the WD and stream it to the laptop and then to the stereo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement