Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Digital TV HD Media Player 1080p - €100 delivered [Expansys]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers WEST.. I was pretty much waaaay-off! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Just one question, some videos I have don't seem to automatically fit to screen and I'm left with two big black margins on both sides of the screen, I know you can fit photos to screen but can you do it with movies? Thanks in advance!
    Your TV should already have a button to stretch/zoom/crop the image on screen. It is best to leave the WD unit set to match the aspect of your TV.
    Medic_Man wrote: »

My only disapointment is the fast-forward/rewind, it really needs a jump to option for non mkv media. Also it gets very hot, so make sure it has lots of air around it and not ontop of another electric item (this includes when you think it's turned off, I unplug mine when not using it).
    You can skip forward 10 minutes in any movie by using the 'next' button when the movie is fast forwarding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

You can skip forward 10 minutes in any movie by using the 'next' button when the movie is fast forwarding.

I've had one of these for a while now and never knew about that. Guess I should RTFM... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭manufan16

i have jumped on the band wagon here. Just ordered from Komplett... my laptop is too choppy playing 1080 movies so hopefully this will improve viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Medic_Man

Cool, dont remember reading that anywhere...

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Got mine today.. is the business alright!

Have it hooked up using HDMI and optical out to my 5.1 sound system. Looks and sounds the biz!

Have the 1.02.10_B-RAD.CC_WDLXTV-0.5.5 firmware on it.

All that's left is..
    WEST wrote: »
    Use the scrapper found at the below link for quick way to get all the thumbnails for your moves. I use it for MediaPortal, however the WDTV automatically detects the folder.jpg too.

http://www.team-mediaportal.de/dateien/Download/HTPCcustomization/MovieCoverCollector/
    Anyone have alternative for a Mac? Have an XP PC too but a Mac one would be handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

For an extra €9 you'd get the 500GB version of that drive instead of 320GB. That's a better buy imo.

Also, yeah, there shouldn't be any problem using a drive with non-media folders. Just be aware that it'll scan all folders for media content (unless you set the option to tell it not to), so it might slow the drive down if you've tonnes of other stuff.

Ah right..thanks..and thanks :D

For Mac users who want a movie folder scraper: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/31151/wdtv-cover-finder

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

SickBoy wrote: »
    I've had one of these for a while now and never knew about that. Guess I should RTFM... :o

Don't feel too bad, that only came with the second last firmware update!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭JAMM222

mine arrived this morning, looks good, looking forward to trying it out!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

I was very surprised by how feckin' small it was, he he!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Have to say, I'm very impressed with this little gadget so far. Watching Planet Earth in HD on my big TV was a real eye-opener, and even SD stuff looks great. It's played everything I've thrown at it so far, only issue is that it doesn't seem to like my HDMI cable, but I want a shorter one anyway, so I think I'll head to Argos for that cable basquille pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭philbee

basquille wrote: »
    Got mine today.. is the business alright!

Have it hooked up using HDMI and optical out to my 5.1 sound system. Looks and sounds the biz!

Have the 1.02.10_B-RAD.CC_WDLXTV-0.5.5 firmware on it.

All that's left is..

Anyone have alternative for a Mac? Have an XP PC too but a Mac one would be handy.

Any issues with pause or ff/rw while streaming? Any other bugs?

philbee wrote:
    Any issues with pause or ff/rw while streaming? Any other bugs?
    Don't stream anything.. am using with my WD Passport.

No bugs as far as I can see..

The only thing I don't particularly like is the remote (a bit small and fiddly with my sausage fingers).. so God bless my Harmony One!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭philbee

thanks for the reply. I'm expecting one myself and will flash it with the same firmware as yours, Ijust want to make sure all is well with it first, tnx again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Hi Guys,
    I wrote a windows app that gets all movie folders and backdrops for use with laurent G's OSD mod. You can find my app here http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=1349.0
    and laurent G's mod here http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=1039.0

Its basic function is to increase the folder thumbnail size and when you select a film it shows information about it (eg plot summary, runtime etc)

Cheers
    Ian

Your app looks great Ian.

Not many great alternatives for Mac though! :( Might make my own one this weekend. Probably will use Java.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I ordered mine from Amazon. I put the order in on Monday but it only dispatched last night. The order page says that they are using An Post so it might arrive sooner that I expected...they must have an Irish distribution centre now. I think I heard something about this before.

How much was it off Amazon mate?

madmoe wrote: »
    How much was it off Amazon mate?
    Works out at £86.12 delivered (or €100).

You'll be hard pushed to find it cheaper than the €100 delivered from Amazon or Komplett.

But if you collect it from the Komplett pick-up point, it's yours for €89.

• Advertisement

Yep, got mine off Komplett and have no car so it was the best deal I could get...... Anyone know if the custom firmwares allow you too create play lists?

M

Yeah it worked out at £86.12. The £45 voucher I had, swayed my decision some what :D

Lads, out of curiosity, did anyone else buy the Argos HDMI cable that was linked in the thread for use with this device? I bought one yesterday but it doesn't seem to work properly, you get the initial WD logo screen and then nothing. When I put back the HDMI cable I had been using, it worked fine, and the Argos cable worked OK connected to a Freesat HD box. Just a word of warning...

Jaysus.. sounds a bit dodgy alright blastman!

Bring it back I'd say.

Are Argos the cheapest place to get HDMI cables at the mo lads? Also, where is the best place to buy an optical cable?

M

Are Argos the cheapest place to get HDMI cables at the mo lads?
    This was posted late last night.
    Also, where is the best place to buy an optical cable?
    A bit tougher as they're not as readily available.

You might end up paying anywhere from €15 up for these in stores (http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=9411).. I bought 2 for about a fiver delivered off Ebay a few months back! :)

Maybe pop a thread over at the HE Forums (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=863) to find cheaper stores for it.

Problem is it actually works, basq, just not with the WD.

Thanx Basquille....

blastman wrote: »
    Problem is it actually works, basq, just not with the WD.
    That's true! :D

Did you do what someone suggested earlier - breaking the tabs off at the sides of the head.. or something like that? Hold on, let me find the post..

EDIT: Aha, WEST's post here:

The same thing happened to me, however the HDMI cable was the problem. I noticed when I plugged in the HDMI cable to both the TV and the WDTV, it was very loose. Any movement of the TV or WDTV could cause the HDMI to disconnect! I got the HDMI cable at this link:
    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/HDMI/Generic/Just-Simple-HDMI-Cable-1.5m

See the silver bit at each end of the cable, I have to break that off! It seem there was not enough metal at each end to make a decent connection. Anyway all working for me now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭JAMM222

i went to argos to get that cable but they were out of stock so i bought one in game on henry street fo €10 and it works perfectly:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Also, where is the best place to buy an optical cable?

M
    I got a cable from Komplett at the same time as the WD media unit link. Obviously its not affordable unless you are already buying something expensive to spread the shipping cost.

Try ebay £2.75 + 50p shipping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

is this the WD HD TV yoke that my mate just bought in peats for 89€?

Sorry, no time to read the whole thread, posting from my phone at the airport! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

vibe666 wrote: »
    is this the WD HD TV yoke that my mate just bought in peats for 89€?

Sorry, no time to read the whole thread, posting from my phone at the airport! :)

Cant see that on peats website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Had the problem with the Hdmi cable too but switched it around and now its working. The quality is amazing:D very happy with the purchase.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Cant see that on peats website.
    me neither.

i spoke to him about it today and he was saying how great it was. him and another guy from work got one each in peats in blanchardstown for 89€ though.

i'm assuming it's the same thing, he said it was western digital with a hdmi connection and 2 usb ports for playing back movies etc.

i can't imagine WD doing more than one device of that sort, so i guess it's the same thing.

i don't know if they know you can mess around with firmwares on them etc. though, so i'll have to send them to this thread. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

me neither.

i spoke to him about it today and he was saying how great it was. him and another guy from work got one each in peats in blanchardstown for 89€ though.

i'm assuming it's the same thing, he said it was western digital with a hdmi connection and 2 usb ports for playing back movies etc.

i can't imagine WD doing more than one device of that sort, so i guess it's the same thing.

i don't know if they know you can mess around with firmwares on them etc. though, so i'll have to send them to this thread. :)

I got it in Komplett, they had a few of them in the komplett Depo. Was able to buy it there and then.

bricks wrote: »
    I got it in Komplett, they had a few of them in the komplett Depo. Was able to buy it there and then.

Do you have the address of Komplett depo?

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Do you have the address of Komplett depo?
    Here ya go coldfire1x!

cool. confirmed with both mates that this is the one they bought in peats in blanch, so i guess everyone has a little more choice on picking it up for less than €90 now (assuming you're in the blanch area where peats and the komplett depot are. :)

mind you, if the little blanch peats has them, i'm sure the big parnell st. store must have them too?

basquille wrote: »

Thanks a lot :)

• Advertisement

cool. confirmed with both mates that this is the one they bought in peats in blanch, so i guess everyone has a little more choice on picking it up for less than €90 now (assuming you're in the blanch area where peats and the komplett depot are. :)

mind you, if the little blanch peats has them, i'm sure the big parnell st. store must have them too?

It definately adds more choice. I might pick one up tomorrow.

got mine in the post today. I am looking forward to playing around with it this evening. Think I'll have to get one of those WD passports now as the WD MyBook that I have is too bulky (and it needs a power plug)

Edit:

found this 250GB WD Passport for £18.55. What a bargain

Pity they don't deliver to Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

dubmick wrote: »
    got mine in the post today. I am looking forward to playing around with it this evening. Think I'll have to get one of those WD passports now as the WD MyBook that I have is too bulky (and it needs a power plug)

Edit:

found this 250GB WD Passport for £18.55. What a bargain

Pity they don't deliver to Ireland

amazon ship to ireland now.

ntlbell wrote: »
    amazon ship to ireland now.

Yeah I know mate but the seller wasn't Amazon. Looks like it was a mis-price as the cheapest price is now £55

for some reason I can't get mine working with my main tv (32" LG). The picture is black and white and a bit fuzzy using the composite cable. Works fine with the smaller tv (Samsung 20").

It's driving me mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Sounds like a PAL vs NTSC problem.

Have you got a setting on the telly to switch between them?

don't think so, no problem with Sky/ DVD / Aerial

Sound is ok on WDTV

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

dubmick wrote: »
    don't think so, no problem with Sky/ DVD / Aerial

Sound is ok on WDTV
    Your tv probably can't handle NTSC. The WDTV is probably set to NTSC out of the box. Your Sky box, DVD player, etc would all be PAL. I don't have a WDTV but there must be a setting on it somewhere to switch to PAL/50Hz.

thanks lads. The WDTV is definitely set to PAL. I've just checked.

I've found a work around using a Scart Adaptor that came with the Sony Playstation. Now works fine. Only problem now is that I need another scart connection! I'll have to get one of those scart splitter boxes.

The WDTV is probably set to NTSC out of the box.
    It's set to 'Auto' out of the box.. and you can choose between NTSC / PAL.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement