Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Digital TV HD Media Player 1080p - €100 delivered [Expansys]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭madmoe

Having a gang of mates over on Sunday night so was hoping I could pick it up somewhere in town. Would be a bit more expensive but me does not mind.

Tried calling PC World in Jervis as they did have the older one a while back but surprise surprise they are not answering the phone!!

Cheers,
    M

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I tried all over for the WD TV Live last week and couldn't find it anywhere. Only the WD TV. I ordered from Amazon instead.

How much did it cost from Amazon all in mate? Did you receive it yet?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sterling £49.99 here

I think its a one day only offer- but still remarkable value.....

But that's the older one. Me wants the new 'Live' one with the Ethernet port on the back....

Cheers anyhow smccarrick!

madmoe wrote: »
    But that's the older one. Me wants the new 'Live' one with the Ethernet port on the back....

Cheers anyhow smccarrick!

Yes- it is the older one- but cheaper than I've ever seen it elsewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

smccarrick wrote: »
    Sterling £49.99 here

I think its a one day only offer- but still remarkable value.....

That's the mini, Elara have it for €65.61 also a little dearer I know but if you in a position to collect from Parkwest it probably works out cheaper...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do-more wrote: »
    That's the mini, Elara have it for €65.61 also a little dearer I know but if you in a position to collect from Parkwest it probably works out cheaper...
    Even with delivery it beats Komplett.ie and Dabs.ie, cheers! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Do-more wrote: »
    That's the mini,

Yep, be careful, the model above is the mini, which doesnt have half of the format/codec/resolution capabilities of the regular WDTV HD.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

How much did it cost from Amazon all in mate? Did you receive it yet?
    105 sterling with free delivery. Works out 118 euro I think. Cheaper than Komplett.

I got it this morning. Just setting it up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭banchang

basquille wrote: »
    Any luck with getting wireless working banchang and The Sparrow?

I put in my essid etc, but I am already on firmware 1.03

As such when I put in the USB flash drive with the firmware with amended essid etc, WDTV doesn't recognise that there is a firmware update to be done, & I can't make this wireless update

Any ideas ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

banchang wrote: »
    I put in my essid etc, but I am already on firmware 1.03

As such when I put in the USB flash drive with the firmware with amended essid etc, WDTV doesn't recognise that there is a firmware update to be done, & I can't make this wireless update

Any ideas ?
    I think it you change the wdtv.ver file in the firmware package to a version higher (e.g 1.04) - and it'll install it!

But if you're already on 1.03, then don't worry about the firmware - as long as the wireless config files are intact.

I think it you change the wdtv.ver file in the firmware package to a version higher (e.g 1.04) - and it'll install it!

But if you're already on 1.03, then don't worry about the firmware - as long as the wireless config files are intact.

Isnt 1.03 the latest ?

No matter what you change on the wireless config files, WDTV won't see it as an update, from what I can see ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I couldn't get it to work with it outta the box unfortunately.

Had to program it a bit (using the 'Learn Command' function) but works as normal now.

Hi basquille ,I just got the harmony one and I noticed that the WDTV is listed under
    Media centre PC / Western digital / WD TV HD media player.

I haven't gotten the wdtv yet:( ,just messin with the harmony ,great remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I didn't notice if this was mentioned in here already, it's a hugely long thread and a bit all over the place.

Question is, does anyone know if anywhere in town (Dublin) stocks the WD TV HD (not the live)? Would like to pick one up tomorrow if possible, having a movie night and would rather not have to a) hook up the laptop/speakers/etc or b) wait for the thing to be delivered.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Hi basquille ,I just got the harmony one and I noticed that the WDTV is listed under
    Media centre PC / Western digital / WD TV HD media player.
    Interesting.. must have missed it.

Will reconfigure it now so.

Cheers for letting me know.

105 sterling with free delivery. Works out 118 euro I think. Cheaper than Komplett.

I got it this morning. Just setting it up now.

U have a direct link for it on Amazon?? I think I'll go with Amazon rather than Komplett.

U have a direct link for it on Amazon?? I think I'll go with Amazon rather than Komplett.
    Link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001ILFDCK

• Advertisement

Cheers dude. It says "Price: £99.43 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions" but nothing about Ireland??

Cheers,
    M

Edit: Just saw that it applies to Ireland as well :-) Happy days!!

Cheers dude. It says "Price: £99.43 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions" but nothing about Ireland??
    It is free delivery to Ireland too, but it'll charge you the difference of Irish VAT.

That should be showing as £68.86?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    That should be showing as £68.86?
    Nope, the one linked to is the WDTV Live (the new model of the WDTV)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Nope, the one linked to is the WDTV Live (the new model of the WDTV)

Would it be safe to say ,that the new one might have some bugs until after christmas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Can anyone link a good HDMI cable to go with it ,

I found the resolution isnt as good using the composite cables V plugging my laptop into the telly but maybe HDMI will improve that

Great unit though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

dario28 wrote: »
    Can anyone link a good HDMI cable to go with it ,

I found the resolution isnt as good using the composite cables V plugging my laptop into the telly but maybe HDMI will improve that

Great unit though

For HDMI just get the cheapest you can, Tesco usually have them for less than a tenner.

[sarcasm]

But what about those superb gold-plated infused with diamonds HDMI cables for €100!?

[/sarcasm]

;)

[sarcasm]

But what about those superb gold-plated infused with diamonds HDMI cables for €100!?

[/sarcasm]

;)
    Guess what, idiots do buy those. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kante

Hi,
    I am looking to buy a HD (500gb - 1TB) with media camabilities.
    It's for my old man christmas present..
    should i go for a hd + media player or and all in one??

Trying to get it for around €150!!Possible?

this HD/Media Drive http://www.amazon.co.uk/Envizage-500GB-Cyclone-External-Player/dp/B002K9RCY6/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258982644&sr=8-18

Seems to be good value..I'm not good at looking thru the specs though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Kante

Bond-007 wrote: »

thanks. would you recommend it??

I am buying the 1000GB version.

Kante wrote: »
    ..I'm not good at looking thru the specs though!!

Looking at the specs, it doesnt support newer containers like MKV or modern video codecs like H.264 or VC-1. So that may or may not be an issue for you, just check what kinds of videos you plan on playing on it before buying. Should be fine for legacy formats like AVI (Xvid & MP3/AC3)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I have a WD TV Media Player and I am quite happy with it.

But still wondering about the Xtreamer. How does it compare with WD?

Does anyone here has a Xtreamer and would like to share their experiance?

Any luck with getting wireless working banchang and The Sparrow?

Worked out how to update the version file to get it to see the update.

It read the USB stick but no wireless

1. How do you know that the wireless is up & running - do you just see additional folders ?

2. Heres my config file - I have open wifi

HOST=wdtv
    # DHCP=yes

# Static IP Configuration: (only if not DHCP)
    DHCP=no
    IP=192.168.1.100
    GW=192.168.1.254
    NM=255.255.255.0
    DNS1=192.168.1.254
    DNS2=212.216.172.62
    sleep 5

ifconfig rausb0 up
    iwconfig rausb0 essid <eircomrouter> key "<WEP Key>"

eircomrouter is my open wifi network name
    As I have no WEP key I guess I change the last part in some way ?

Help appreciated !

1. How do you know that the wireless is up & running - do you just see additional folders ?
    You'll see an IP on startup.
    2. Heres my config file - I have open wifi

HOST=wdtv
    # DHCP=yes

# Static IP Configuration: (only if not DHCP)
    DHCP=no
    IP=192.168.1.100
    GW=192.168.1.254
    NM=255.255.255.0
    DNS1=192.168.1.254
    DNS2=212.216.172.62
    sleep 5

ifconfig rausb0 up
    iwconfig rausb0 essid <eircomrouter> key "<WEP Key>"

eircomrouter is my open wifi network name
    As I have no WEP key I guess I change the last part in some way ?
    If you have an open access point, change the line in bold to:
    iwconfig rausb0 essid eircomrouter

Well I seem to have loaded the update ok, as I get the IP on the opening screen when powered on, but it says

IP: No IP

& then moves on to the standard opening screen with Video, Photos, Settings etc

I'm typing this off my laptop right now, so wifi is working. Thoughts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Well I seem to have loaded the update ok, as I get the IP on the opening screen when powered on, but it says

IP: No IP

& then moves on to the standard opening screen with Video, Photos, Settings etc

I'm typing this off my laptop right now, so wifi is working. Thoughts ?

If you go into settings and about you will see the firmware version and if your IP address is there then it is working. If it says No IP then it is not working. Also the Act light on the dongle should be solid and the link light should be flashing (assuming you have the same dongle as basquille and me)

I spent a couple of evenings trying to get it working and failed miserably so i wish you more luck. If you do figure it out, please post here and let me know.

dario28 wrote: »
    Any one seen this problem

Bought HDMI cable in gamestop

connected it to the box and to TV , its a Sony Bravia

had the composite cable connected and removed that

now I have no picture or sound ?

Plug composite back in and its fine ???

I assume you changed the input on the TV remote AVC2 (or whatever your HDMI input is)? I've a Sony Bravia- my HDMI input is AVC4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

smccarrick wrote: »
    I assume you changed the input on the TV remote AVC2 (or whatever your HDMI input is)? I've a Sony Bravia- my HDMI input is AVC4.

Yeah figured it out , composite was on 5 and HDMI ON 4...THANKS

• Advertisement

If you go into settings and about you will see the firmware version and if your IP address is there then it is working. If it says No IP then it is not working. Also the Act light on the dongle should be solid and the link light should be flashing (assuming you have the same dongle as basquille and me)

I spent a couple of evenings trying to get it working and failed miserably so i wish you more luck. If you do figure it out, please post here and let me know.

Yes, I have the D-Link wifi dongle DWL-G122 Ver C1.

Firmware 1.02.11 WDLXTV-0.5.7

Message I get on the 'About' screen is 'WDTV-20524 : no IP'

Dongle's Link light is flashing, but Act light is off.

Implemented this http://b-rad.cc/900/wdlxtv-app-pack-wireless-mod-wdlxtv/#more-900
    to the letter, or so I thought

Wifi working well, confirmed. Wifi is open, no wep.

Have tried net.config file edits with both

ifconfig rausb0 up
    iwconfig rausb0 essid myroutername

and

ifconfig $MDEV up
    iwconfig $MDEV essid myroutername

& still Link light flashes but Act light is off, & continue to get No IP

Hey lads,
    Was seriously thinking about the WD HD TV Live unit but then this was just announced today - http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/01/04/popcorn.hour.sequel.handles.1080p/

Decision, decisions.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

can any of these boxes be connected to a sky+ box so as to record (i know it is only recording from playback) from the sky+ box onto the wdtv or Popbox?

can any of these boxes be connected to a sky+ box so as to record (i know it is only recording from playback) from the sky+ box onto the wdtv or Popbox?

No- definitely not in the case of the WDTV. Its a multimedia player, not a recorder. Not sure about the Popbox (not familiar with it).

Any suggestions for a box that does have this type of recording functionality? Or wud i have to get a dvd recorder with hard drive....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

you could get a playon!hd dvr

looks good has anyone used one here?
    id love a one for all box, wifi, hdd, media player, recorder, photos, music, youtube.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

well i have the playon!hd and the brother has the mini version cant fault it so far has played everything i have thrown at it and i put a 1.5tb hd in mine

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭SoldierForce

Is this still a good buy? I bought a PackardBell 50GB MediaPlayer ages ago and since then I have no idea how much things have changed so any suggestions? I have a 1TB WD Essential External HD.

• Advertisement

Is this still a good buy? I bought a PackardBell 50GB MediaPlayer ages ago and since then I have no idea how much things have changed so any suggestions? I have a 1TB WD Essential External HD.
    Its still a good buy if you want a cheap, easy-to-use media player that can handle all the latest formats. I think they go for about €80 now, and the Live version about €100-110.

Though also check the Aspire Revo thread - because you can install XBMC onto that and it makes a great (and cheap) HTPC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement