Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Guy's Health Place?

Options
  • 29-06-2009 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

just wondering if there was a guy equivilent of the Womans Center in letterkenny? Ya know for check up and tests of a sexual nature and before people start asking no i didn't do anything silly! Just curious and like to get a full check up!

anyone know?

got the thoughts for this here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055593073

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything equivalent for men - at least locally - that I know of, but you can get a full check up from your GP that might alleviate any worries you may have. Before you go, you might find this site www.mhfi.org very useful and informative about men's health issues, with loads of resources and links. Ireland is unique in that it is the only country in Europe with a men's health policy - in the current climate, I'd be a bit sceptical about any kind of wish fulfilment though.
    From working/volunteering in my own community, I know that it's a real challenge to get men involved in anything that doesn't relate to sport, or some other type of 'manly' occupation (don't really want to be stereotyping here :)) Women, on the other hand, have scored over the years because they are generally more open, talkative and willing to pursue help when needed - if it's not there, they will get together and lobby for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

yeah i was thinking there wasn't much around. thankfully i have nothing to worry about... i think but the GF is heading to the womans one this week so i said i'd have a look around. hmmmmm does it have to be your own GP does anyone know?
    just a bit of hassle gettin to them without a car and work times!

can't believe 50+ views by i'm guessing mainly men and nobody giving addresses! if they don't wanna give their names out pm me i'll post up what they said and will take their name to my grave!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

danniemcq wrote: »
    can't believe 50+ views by i'm guessing mainly men and nobody giving addresses! if they don't wanna give their names out pm me i'll post up what they said and will take their name to my grave!
    Im lost. What exactly are you saying?

Not sure what you mean either, OP. No, it doesn't have to be your own GP. Have you a medical card? If so, you will probably need to go to your own GP practice at least. If you are paying up front, you can approach any GP in Letterkenny - it's probably good to register yourself with someone anyway so that you are on record.

• Advertisement

Try this link for GP surgeries in Letterkenny. And BTW, I'm not male and I've replied to you - so what does that say ;)

haha sorry!

sorry guys and gals!

K so few posts up i meant was with the amount of people looking at the thread there was nobody actually saying yeah this place or that place so that either means letterkenny lads are Very careful, embarrassed or couldn't be arsed going.

If i'm wrong sorry and babaloushka sorry about the gender confusion, it seems to go on here quite a bit (muffler!)

Anywho slightly back on topic i rang the womans place and asked them if there was a guy place and they said the well being centre/clinic on lower main street, had a quick look for it last night but couldn't see it anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

I think they mean the Your Health in Your Hands place. Upstairs from Sherry Fitz on lower main st. They do a full 'M.O.T.' type test for a fixed price but don't know if they include STIs etc.

huh thought that was a health insurance place! terrible signage! right must drop down there see what the story is later :)

edit called at lunch but no answer, found their website though!

http://www.yhiyh.com/home_lk.html

not really what i was looking for but helpful though!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

INFOBLAST "Health in your hands" has moved to the Chiropractic Clinic up in Glencar, same people you see, cut backs and all!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement