Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced Annual Leave

Options
  • 29-06-2009 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Have a query I was hoping might be able to advise.

My employer sent an email informing staff they have revised their annual leave policy, the change is that going forward all staff must take two consecutive weeks out of the annual leave. This was not stipulated in my contract so I was wondering can they enforce this policy change?

I checked the government website and it only mentions that if an employee works 8 months then they are entitled to two weeks annual leave but it does not mention whether this has to be consecutively taken or not.

I think I would much rather split my time into two separate one week holidays rather than a single two week period.

Any advice from people who have been in a similar situation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

I don't think theer's anything illegal about this. - Its probably a cost saving measure which if implented may save redundancies.

Personally I think everyone needs to work with employers to ensure business survival over the next 12 months when hopefully things will have improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Its not a sales or service providing section I am in so it would not save costs at all if i took consecutive weeks rather than separate weeks.

We all have designated colleagues that look after our work during leave so it is covered and in fact shorter separated holidays puts less pressure on these colleagues covering your role.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

There was legislation a few years ago which made it compulsory for employers to grant two consecutive weeks annual leave to workers.

My understanding of this was that this was if the employee wanted to take them consecutively. However, certain employers read it as being compulsory for the leave to be taken in that manner.

I'm still trying to find the relevant legislation referring to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Mikaboshi wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Have a query I was hoping might be able to advise.

My employer sent an email informing staff they have revised their annual leave policy, the change is that going forward all staff must take two consecutive weeks out of the annual leave. This was not stipulated in my contract so I was wondering can they enforce this policy change?

I checked the government website and it only mentions that if an employee works 8 months then they are entitled to two weeks annual leave but it does not mention whether this has to be consecutively taken or not.

I think I would much rather split my time into two separate one week holidays rather than a single two week period.

Any advice from people who have been in a similar situation?

If you are working in a Financial services company that is regulated (dont laugh!) then there is a requirement for 2 consecutive weeks to be taken by all staff. This is the norm in recent times in Banks, etc as it should allow fraud, irregularities, etc to be identified.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Yeah Kenco that was the reason they changed the policy however the company is not providing financial services to customers but is its won public investment company and from what I read that was only applicable for front office staff sales/treasury etc. yet I work in back office operations so it is not applicable for us from the regulators.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Since the company has the right to assign all your holidays, down to the actual dates and days that you will take them, yes it is perfectly legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yeah Kenco that was the reason they changed the policy however the company is not providing financial services to customers but is its won public investment company and from what I read that was only applicable for front office staff sales/treasury etc. yet I work in back office operations so it is not applicable for us from the regulators.

Even back office people have opportunities to commit fraud. If you work anywhere near finance, then you can expect to be required to take two consequitive weeks, unless your company is slack about applying basic prevention measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

once a company give sufficent notice they can change what they want within their policy/contracts.

obviously there is an element of the staff accecpting the change but as the now common theme of "in the current climate" who is going to rock the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Just say nothing and take your holidays as you wish. No point in kicking up a fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

It is applicable to back office staff(and anyone working in a regulated company) and has been or years. Its probably only recently the regulator/Bank Auditors asked about it and thats why its being imposed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The two week rule is part of the 1997 organisation of working time act.

from the act

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0020/sec0019.html
    (3) The annual leave of an employee who works 8 or more months in a leave year shall, subject to the provisions of any employment regulation order, registered employment agreement, collective agreement or any agreement between the employee and his or her employer, include an unbroken period of 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yeah sorry OP....work for a financial company and they did the same to us. We have to take 2 consecutive weeks each year (half our holiday leave). It's a pain in the ass, but nothing you can do about it afaik.

Advertisement