Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pub in Kilkenny

Options
  • 29-06-2009 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

What do people think is the best pub in Kilkenny? I would nominate the Playwright. Great location looking on to High st. Lovely area out the back to sit outside and look down Kieran st. Good sport coverage. Good music. Nice crowd. Friendly regulars.Nice staff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

rathgorma wrote: »
    What do people think is the best pub in Kilkenny? I would nominate the Playwright. Great location looking on to High st. Lovely area out the back to sit outside and look down Kieran st. Good sport coverage. Good music. Nice crowd. Friendly regulars.Nice staff.

I do like the food in the playwright,

For me which is your Fav Pub depends on what your heading to the pub for.

I really like the pumphouse as I prefer the music and it reminds me of the Brog/Quad in Cork or Sin e in Dublin which are pubs I'd normally go to with my mates.

Left Bank is ok as well but I don't like it for sporting events e.g. heinkein cup final etc... it lacked automosphere or something I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

For me which is your Fav Pub depends on what your heading to the pub for.

+ 1 I think it also depends on when your going as well. there are pubs I like during the week but wouldn't go to at the weekends.

Only went to the left bank once and the door staff were very rude to my friend so won't ever go back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ger57

I agree,some are weekend pubs while some are week-night pubs,but the Playwright is a great all round spot.As regards door staff there are certain ones who should be on NO door in town as they cause trouble not calm it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Ger57 wrote: »
    I agree,some are weekend pubs while some are week-night pubs,but the Playwright is a great all round spot.As regards door staff there are certain ones who should be on NO door in town as they cause trouble not calm it....
    examples??

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Pump House is my fav. Great pint, friendly atmosphere and actual music rather than the latest crap in the charts.

I've always thought o faoilains has one of the most impressive interiors of any pub i've ever been in but somehow the atmosphere isnt there due to all the little alcoves. Plus the music is crap and the crowd isnt great sometimes.

• Advertisement

examples??

Lets put it like this,i know of legal action pending and i speak 100% sure of this,where its quite clear on cctv where the door men in question were 100% in wrong and have since been booted from the premises ,sadly to continue somewhere else.There's a few of these guys who think their God,by bullying and power-tripping when in suits and bow-ties,but clothes don't give a damn what they hang on...thats all i have to say about the matter...you ask for "examples",in my opinion forums are not for naming people.But anyone who is out and about in Kilkenny on a regular basis will,i'm sure relate to what i'm saying.
    Let me just say i have not been involved in any incident....i'm not a young person who would be out on a regular basis in the busier pubs with this scum on doors,but i do feel for many who are.having said all this there are many nice guys on doors also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Different places for different nights, Monday - Matt the Millars, Tuesday - everywhere is poor, Wednesday - Billy Byrnes (film night), Thursday - Langtons, Fri/Sat - Pump House, Sunday - Maggies

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 rathgorma

jerseyeire wrote: »
    Different places for different nights, Monday - Matt the Millars, Tuesday - everywhere is poor, Wednesday - Billy Byrnes (film night), Thursday - Langtons, Fri/Sat - Pump House, Sunday - Maggies
    Kytlers can have some live music on Tuesdays throughout the summer.
    Also Ryans is always worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Ger57 wrote: »
    Lets put it like this,i know of legal action pending and i speak 100% sure of this,where its quite clear on cctv where the door men in question were 100% in wrong and have since been booted from the premises ,sadly to continue somewhere else.There's a few of these guys who think their God,by bullying and power-tripping when in suits and bow-ties,but clothes don't give a damn what they hang on...thats all i have to say about the matter...you ask for "examples",in my opinion forums are not for naming people.But anyone who is out and about in Kilkenny on a regular basis will,i'm sure relate to what i'm saying.
    Let me just say i have not been involved in any incident....i'm not a young person who would be out on a regular basis in the busier pubs with this scum on doors,but i do feel for many who are.having said all this there are many nice guys on doors also.
    I think i know of who your on about. Oh and as for scum on the doors comment, I work on doors, I'm not scum, never been arrested or questioned over anything in my life, Don't do drugs very rarely drink. Don't lump us all the same, You'd be up in arms if I said all drunks are retards ;)

No,i'm not tarring all door men with same brush,i did state in my previous post "there are many nice guys on doors"..and i know them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Town Man

Cleeres is a nice pub too, then again there are alot of good pubs in Kilkenny but it depends what your looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

jerseyeire wrote: »
    Wednesday - Billy Byrnes (film night)

Whats the story with film night? Sounds interesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They usually show a good film and that's about it I think :) Normally there's posters advertising it in the windows about a week or so before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭daithi666

I love that place up Patrick St. beside Larkin's. Delaney's I think it's called. Real old-style country pub. Nice owner, mad about hurling. I've been in there for a drink and come across Fan Larkin having a pint there.

Nice for an afternoon or early evening pint or maybe a hurling match...

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Ryans is one of the few pubs that is great 7 days a week. It rarely puts a foot wrong.

The Pumphouse is great every night apart from Friday's and Saturday's. It's a top pub but for some reason on the two biggest weekend nights it always seems a bit dead. Go down on a Wendesday or a Sunday and the place is hopping.

Left Bank and The Playwright are both great pubs on weekdays and nights. (And even of a weekend afternoon). I wouldn't spend too much time in them on a weekend night though, absolute bedlam. Especially in the Left Banks case. Although I have to say, I think the Left Bank has the best door policy in town. No wonder the place is a licence to print money at the moment. It's one of the few places where you won't find slobbering drunks, any category of scum or any hen or stag nights.

Cleere's is always great quality but like Pumphouse, seems to suffer of a Friday and Saturday night sometimes.

O'Riada's is solid for a pint and a match as well. But if you're not a fan of auld lad pubs, forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

I think i know of who your on about. Oh and as for scum on the doors comment, I work on doors, I'm not scum, never been arrested or questioned over anything in my life, Don't do drugs very rarely drink. Don't lump us all the same, You'd be up in arms if I said all drunks are retards ;)

Hey Raze

You on the doors there buddy. Nice one. Supposed to filming down in Kilkenny before the end of the year so hopefully will get down. What about that place The Zoo. Any bands gigging there recently?

Advertisement