Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray's Bream, "Brama brama" flapping on the shore

Options
  • 29-06-2009 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

I originally had this posted in the nature section and was asked to post in this section.

Friday night 26/6/09, while walking the beach (myself and the 3 boys) a fish appeared in front of us flapping in the shallow water and with the ebbing tide, was left flapping on the sand. This was about 10pm on Carrickfinn Beach in west Donegal. I did not know what type fish it was and took some photos using the phone and brought it back into the water but it kept trying to beach itself, after about 20 minutes of this, I gave up as it was nearing death at this stage. The fish was 20" long, about 3lb in weight and had very sharp teeth..

We asked a few people we met if they knew what it was but no one knew. I brought the fish to the owner of the "Irish Skipper", who lives nearby, and he wasn't sure as to what it was but said he would check with his editor. This morning I got a call from him with the answer, a rare type of bream called Ray's Bream, "Brama brama". He told me that they are named after the famous naturalist John Ray who found one washed ashore in 1681. It is also known as "Atlantic pomfret". This is a deepwater fish, up to 1000m and is a common bream in southern European waters, less common in northern seas. An open sea fish which migrates northward according to water temperature. They are cought mainly for the Spanish market.

Has anyone else seen one of these or know anything further about them?

Was thinking of bringing it to a taxidermist to get it stuffed rather than throwing it on the pan but was too late. It was already cooked...

Pictures below

img6394.jpg

img6392l.jpg

img6393z.jpg

And below, the happy(ish) boy who was the first to see it. :eek:

img6397q.jpg

Comments

Advertisement