Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid Holidays

Options
  • 29-06-2009 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi all,

I have recently quit my part-time job as I have started a Post-Graduate position in college. I worked part-time in my job from Sept 08 - (mid) May 09. I had taken my allocated holidays for the winter period. Upon leaving the job I had checked the HR system and seen that I was due 4 weeks worth of Holidays for the coming period. Obviously I was unable to take these were put on the system about a week before I quit.

I was wondering if I was entitled to be pay for these holidays as I earned these before I quit my job?

Thanks,
    Patrick.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 kerplunk86

Thanks for the reply, that's what I thought. But they said the fact that I have not worked there for a full year means I am not entitled to get this pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

as a part timer your holidays are calculated on the hours you work from Jan to December or contract date + 1 yr?

is it a retailer and have you taken any this year?

As you did not work a full year I fail to see how you should quailify for 4 weeks anyways so it sounds like you were misinformed however I reckon you should have about a week and a half built up all relative to the hours you worked.

For a rough guide and I mean rough, every 3 months you should quailify for one weeks holiday(hence the 4 weeks a year) and the payment should reflect and average weekly wage that you were earning for those 3 months.

There are other caclulation of course ie if your sick or do extra shifts this all reflects on your holiday pay as a part timer.

The HR system said you were entitled to 4 weeks holidays over the coming period however as that period is a year and you did not work it then no you are not entitled to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 kerplunk86

Hey thanks for the info. Will do some more reading around this and will try to figure out what the story is. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As you're leaving work you're entitled to be paid for any accrued holidays. As gerrycollins points out above you won't have four weeks available as that's your maximum accrual for a 12 month period but you should have a portion of that built up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you worked full time and had 20 days holiday per year you get 1.67 days for each month worked.

As you are working part time you will receive a % of this holiday time.

So if you work 20 hrs per week you get .83 days hols per month worked since the beginning of the holiday year. (1.67/2=.83)

And so if you work 10 hrs per week (1.76/4=.41days)

So if the holiday year started on the 1st of April and you' ve worked about 20 hours per week since then you'd have 10.8 days due to you.

Advertisement