Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Clicksilver 7.6mb issue

Options
  • 29-06-2009 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I’m on UTV Clicksilver’s 7.6mb package. It used to be the 3mb package but they upgraded it last July. Since then, I usually get a speed of around 5mb, according to Irish ISP Speed Test and Speedtest.net (I check it every so often out of curiosity moreso than anything else), which has always been perfectly fine for me.

For the last week or so, however, my speed in the evenings has been around 1.5mb-1.9mb as measured by the above and I’ve seen my download speeds fall from around 500kbps (on Rapidshare) to 90kbps (still on Rapidshare). Nothing has changed on my end of things; all the equipment and lines are still the same and there aren’t any works going on locally or anything so I’m a bit puzzled by the sudden and annoying decline, particularly of the download speed. To add to the annoyance, I tried downloading something on Friday morning before work, and also this morning, and got the 500kbps download speed. So it appears that its in the evening that I’m seeing this problem.

I have my wireless turned off, so it’s not the neighbours jumping on my connection and downloading huge files, and I sincerely doubt there’s been a huge explosion in subscribers locally that would see the contention ratio (supposedly 28:1 on the package I’m on) become unfavourable enough as to explain my download speed falling by so much at peak time. It’s just annoying given that I used to get such good download speeds and now it has fallen by so much every evening in the past week and a half.

Anyone more knowledgeable than I able suggest a reason so I can see if there's anything I can do to get my old speeds back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Demondaze wrote: »
    I’m on UTV Clicksilver’s 7.6mb package. It used to be the 3mb package but they upgraded it last July. Since then, I usually get a speed of around 5mb, according to Irish ISP Speed Test and Speedtest.net (I check it every so often out of curiosity moreso than anything else), which has always been perfectly fine for me.

For the last week or so, however, my speed in the evenings has been around 1.5mb-1.9mb as measured by the above and I’ve seen my download speeds fall from around 500kbps (on Rapidshare) to 90kbps (still on Rapidshare). Nothing has changed on my end of things; all the equipment and lines are still the same and there aren’t any works going on locally or anything so I’m a bit puzzled by the sudden and annoying decline, particularly of the download speed. To add to the annoyance, I tried downloading something on Friday morning before work, and also this morning, and got the 500kbps download speed. So it appears that its in the evening that I’m seeing this problem.

I have my wireless turned off, so it’s not the neighbours jumping on my connection and downloading huge files, and I sincerely doubt there’s been a huge explosion in subscribers locally that would see the contention ratio (supposedly 28:1 on the package I’m on) become unfavourable enough as to explain my download speed falling by so much at peak time. It’s just annoying given that I used to get such good download speeds and now it has fallen by so much every evening in the past week and a half.

Anyone more knowledgeable than I able suggest a reason so I can see if there's anything I can do to get my old speeds back?
    Line statistics please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Demondaze

Will do when I get home.

The router is a Netgear DG834G... where'll I get the necessary stats?

Well, I actually think I know whereabouts in its various menus I'll find them, so I guess the better question is what stats are needed? And if I have a clue then I'll provide 'em :D

Will do when I get home.

The router is a Netgear DG834G... where'll I get the necessary stats?

Well, I actually think I know whereabouts in its various menus I'll find them, so I guess the better question is what stats are needed? And if I have a clue then I'll provide 'em :D
    All the normal stats - line rate, noise margin, attenuation.

It's a Netgear DG834G so 192.168.0.1 > Router Status

Firmware Version V5.01.01

ADSL Port
    MAC Address 00:1E:2A:23:83:93
    IP Address 194.46.233.193
    Network Type PPPoA
    IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
    Gateway IP Address 194.46.193.66
    Domain Name Server 194.46.192.141

LAN Port
    MAC Address 00:1E:2A:23:83:92
    IP Address 192.168.0.1
    DHCP On
    IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Modem
    ADSL Firmware Version A2pB023b.d20e
    Modem Status Connected
    DownStream Connection Speed 5120 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 512 kbps
    VPI 8
    VCI 35

That's everything from there.

That's everything from there.
    Well you are syncing at the correct 5MB speed (5120 / 512 kbps) so you need to do a real time speed test as websites aren't always accurate.

Go to the link below and start downloading the file, after 1 minute make note of the stable transfer rate in KB/s - for 5MB, it should be at least 500KB/s (ideally 550KB/s). You can then cancel the download.

http://ftp.heanet.ie/disk1/gnoppix/gnoppix-1.0-i386.iso

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

db and snr values would be handy too to get an idea of your line quality, to access them goto Router Status
    Then Scroll to the end of the page and click on line stats...paste everything from this pop-up window

I couldn't get around to this until this evening. Anyhow. As before, download speed was fine this morning (500kbps) and abominable this evening (70kbps)
    cpu-dude wrote: »
    Well you are syncing at the correct 5MB speed (5120 / 512 kbps) so you need to do a real time speed test as websites aren't always accurate.

Go to the link below and start downloading the file, after 1 minute make note of the stable transfer rate in KB/s - for 5MB, it should be at least 500KB/s (ideally 550KB/s). You can then cancel the download.

http://ftp.heanet.ie/disk1/gnoppix/gnoppix-1.0-i386.iso

After one minute, the transfer rate is... well, it's not really stable. It still jumps around from 70kbps to 115kbps.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    db and snr values would be handy too to get an idea of your line quality, to access them goto Router Status
    Then Scroll to the end of the page and click on line stats...paste everything from this pop-up window

Here we go:

System Up Time 02:33:30
    Port
    Status
    TxPkts
    RxPkts
    Collisions
    Tx B/s
    Rx B/s
    Up Time
    WAN
    PPPoA
    02:32:49
    LAN
    10M/100M
    02:33:23
    WLAN
    11M/54M
    02:33:15

ADSL Link
    Downstream
    Upstream
    Connection Speed
    5120 kbps
    512 kbps
    Line Attenuation
    42.0 db
    22.0 db
    Noise Margin
    13.3 db
    13.0 db

Downloading Firefox 3.5 now... going at 53kbps... ridiculous.

Advertisement