Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I mad?

Options
  • 29-06-2009 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Started my current job at the beginning of June last year. It’s a sales/business development job and I think we all know how hard it is out there at the moment. Lately, the boss is being a biblical d*ckhead. He can’t be told what he has to do to right the ship and he’s piling the pressure on for results, results that wont come when his employees have there hands tied.

I’m seriously thinking of packing it in, I can’t sleep at night worrying about work. Life is too short I think to let someone p1ss all over you. I have no wife/kids/mortgage to worry about, pay €80 off a loan every week and that’s paid in full come September.

Are you fecked Dole wise if you walk from a job?

And more importantly, am I mad to walk from a job when there’s so many people who’d kill to have any job?

I can’t emphasis how much my job is wrecking my head :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Four or eight weeks if you leave as I recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 croibhriste

Nody wrote: »
    Four or eight weeks if you leave as I recall.

yeah, someone told me 7 weeks.

That would be one major detox period :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Not the most helpful here, but I'm in a similar position.Hate my job.HATE it!!!I'm wasting the best years of my life at it (I'm 26). I'm not afraid of hard work, but god, i feel like I've no life and I hate the people I work with.Unlike you though, I'm stuck with a mortgage. Honestly, I know how you feel. I'm not sure what your field of work is but it's pretty hard to get a job out there-can you see if you can find something before you leave? Otherwise I suppose consider your options long and hard before you do it.Oh and i think most places usually do a 4week notice period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I'm in the same boat. Except I finish up this week. Been onto Citizen information and looked through their site. You can't claim Job seekers benefit. But you can claim Job Seekers Allowance. It is means tested. So if you have any savings or any property, then you will get less than the standard €204 a week. You will also need your P45 for this. So make sure you get it as soon as you can.

As for forced waiting on claiming if you leave your Job. It is up to 9 weeks. It can start from the first week of leaving. It all depends on the person you are dealing with in a social as well as the reason for leaving. In my case, paycuts, tax increases and costs of fuel are stopping me from making enough money to live off (I do a 130mile daily commute with no mileage.. also include maintenance of vehicles in that)

I've been told it is a genuine reason and should be ok. But if you have been bullied in work or something similar and have no proof. Then you might be restricted by a few weeks. Depending on the person you are discussing it with.

Advertisement