Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proof of Speeding.

• 29-06-2009 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

@I was recently stopped for speeding. The Garda said I was doing 70 in a 60 Zone. I do not believe I was. He was using a hand held camera. He did not provide me with a look at the reading or any other proof, dies he have to, or can he just say it was 70 and his word is good enouigh, leaving no room for an error on his part?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

By using the camera, he removes the chance of error on his part...

take it on the chin lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

PeterN wrote: »
    @I was recently stopped for speeding. The Garda said I was doing 70 in a 60 Zone. I do not believe I was. He was using a hand held camera. He did not provide me with a look at the reading or any other proof, dies he have to, or can he just say it was 70 and his word is good enouigh, leaving no room for an error on his part?

He must show you the reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I got stopped before and and told I was doing 62 in a 50 (which I did'nt think I was as not a speeder) and when I asked him to show me the reading on the gun he said he could'nt as they had taken another reading after he stopped me. He looked at my licence around the car and then sent me off with me best cheshire grin....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PeterN

Hi Meesa,
    Is that official?
    Is ther some regulation which refers to this that I could find to support my arguement?
    I so where would I find it, or at least some more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭badlyparkedmerc

I thought he'd to show you the speed as well. (Though you can't prove or disprove generally that the reading he has is for your car.)

Any chance you've an old mph speedo.

I've an mph speedo (with kph as well but harder to read) and 60kph is the hardest speed to keep to.

60kph == 37.28 Mph and 70kph == 43.49. MPH or KPH that's a really narrow difference and I wouldn't be able to tell by feel. Anyone keeping to 40mph in a 60kph zone is within a couple kph of being in trouble if there's a checkpoint.

Just glad it's not a common limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I don't think they have to show you the readout on the speed gun, they often do though to shut people up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

If the garda did not show you the speed on the laser gun after you requested it then it would invalidate the ticket.

If however you did not request to see the reading and only thought of doing so after the incident, then unfortunately the ticket will stand.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

meesa wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? I don't believe that this is the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bazjnr

meesa wrote: »
    mcaul wrote: »
    If the garda did not show you the speed on the laser gun after you requested it then it would invalidate the ticket.

In Ireland there is no obligation, legal or otherwise, on the Garda to show you the reading from the laser. However, it would be best practice to show the driver the speed if possible.

How many times does this have to be explained on Boards??:confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Correct.

He does not have to show you the speed gun.

They normally do though to shut people up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Challenge it in court, then stand up and tell the judge the gardai was running speedily towards your car when he took the reading with the gun. This woud explain the higher speed reading as you were driving at 59km/hr. You can only assume the garda was moving at 11 km/hr therefore making up the 70 km/hr closing speed. *

Not adviseable to try this defence in court as judge might get very angry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

A judge will side on the Gardai if you contest it. I have seen it happen to people in Court.

The judge saying something like "The Gardai are trained to do their job by the state, the same state which employs and trains me, therefore I must believe the Gardas opinion on this".

Sounds effect of waa waa waa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭zielarz

That's ridiculous. If that's the case then Gardai are gods and can accuse anyone for speeding without having any proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Dont all speed detectors used by the Gardai require a calibration cert..if this is out of date then the reading may be worthless...am i wrong on this..??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Berty wrote: »
    A judge will side on the Gardai if you contest it. I have seen it happen to people in Court.

So why were you in the Court?
    The judge saying something like "The Gardai are trained to do their job by the state, the same state which employs and trains me, therefore I must believe the Gardas opinion on this".

Judges are employed by the state, but they are not trained by them. The State and the Judiciary are very seperate entities. (Irish Constitution, Articles 34-37)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Sids Not wrote: »
    Dont all speed detectors used by the Gardai require a calibration cert..if this is out of date then the reading may be worthless...am i wrong on this..??

You are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

+1.....like it or lump it this is exactly what will happen

testicle wrote: »

I was representing someone. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

zielarz wrote: »
    That's ridiculous. If that's the case then Gardai are gods and can accuse anyone for speeding without having any proof.

But they don't...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

testicle wrote: »

Anyone can view from the public gallery.

• Advertisement

donvito99 wrote: »
    But they don't...

True.

Conspiracy Theories is >>>>> Way. :D

I actually feel victimised because they have never done this to me! Bástards!
    Sids Not wrote: »
    The legislation makes the assumption that the equipment is correctly calibrated and thus not erroneous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

but can you not recieve a letter in the post stating that you were breaking the limit, and a set fine had to be payed, you may not even know that you got done, this should answer the question (hopefully).

You can receive a letter in the post accusing the vehicle owner of speeding but these are accompanied by a photo.
    Whether or not you are aware of said letter is a different matter (they are not registered post)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

i think they do...

i think its one of those things where if a garda is standing on the road and he flags you down without his hat you dont have to obey or something like that.

whats to stop a garda for pulling over someone for speeding and then using their reading on you to meet their quota ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

robbie_998 wrote: »
    i think they do...

i think its one of those things where if a garda is standing on the road and he flags you down without his hat you dont have to obey or something like that.

whats to stop a garda for pulling over someone for speeding and then using their reading on you to meet their quota ?

They dont need their hat and there is no quota.

Chief--- wrote: »
    They dont need their hat and there is no quota.

fair enough so... the guy who told me was definitely talking out of his arse :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

bazjnr wrote: »
    How many times does this have to be explained on Boards??:confused:

You're new here I see. Everything needs to be explained a few times. To everybody. That ever joins. Ever.

robbie_998 wrote: »
    fair enough so... the guy who told me was definitely talking out of his arse :rolleyes:
    I thought your were taking the piss.
    Did you really believe your friend on this? No don't answer that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Some more to read on my question here.............

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=102332

kbannon wrote: »
    I thought your were taking the piss.
    Did you really believe your friend on this? No don't answer that!

no i knew it was a load of crap he just tried so hard to convince me :p

Advertisement