Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chilling large amounts of beer?

• 29-06-2009 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭

I’m having a bit of a bbq Saturday week and need to chill lots of beer? I’m planning to have my fridge as empty as I can but with having a bbq I’ll need to store some food in it. I’m just wondering whats the best way to do it? Can you hire out fridges or something like that? i'm talking about a few hundred bottles anway.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

What about a barrel full of ice and water?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

e-bay search for "inflatable beer cooler"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

bathtub, water, ice, salt= best cooler money can't buy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Ponster wrote: »
    e-bay search for "inflatable beer cooler"
    It only holds 24 tins, you would need one for everybody at the bbq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

bathtub, water, ice, salt= best cooler money can't buy

What does that do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Sleipnir wrote: »
    What does that do?

If i'm not mistaken, it melts the ice while retaining it's temperature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

What does that do?

Just a guess but I think it keeps the water from freezing with the ice in it. That means that you could have water (still in liquid form) colder than 0 degrees C....?

I just made that up btw...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭south

thanks for the ideas lads. i totaly forgot about the bath. it gave me a idea. i think i'll be a kids play pool and fill it with ice. probably need about 3 or 4 of them.

What does that do?

salt lowers the freezing point of the water mixture and melts the ice whilst still keeping a lower temperature. Because of this, the gradient between the temperature of the cans/bottles and the mixture is greater so they cool that much faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

south wrote: »
    thanks for the ideas lads. i totaly forgot about the bath. it gave me a idea. i think i'll be a kids play pool and fill it with ice. probably need about 3 or 4 of them.

This must be some barbeque! How many guests you expecting? What about stocking the fridge, and putting a 'round' of drinks for everyone in the freezer. Give everyone a drink from the freezer, then move a load more beer from the fridge into the freezer.....

Then keep filling the fridge as you go, and move a round from the fridge to the freezer each time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Meathfan

Fill bath with ice etc always works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You can buy a few bags of ice in Tesco's, or Spar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Are we all invited if we give you good suggestions??? Ive been at bbq's with 40 or so people. The best solution we found was the galvo bins (in a hardware store). These will hold maybe 100-150 bottles with the ice and water. Keep it in the shade or cover it with the galvo lid. As the bottle is completely surrounded with cold liquid the liquid inside cools quickly so top ups should not be an issue. 3 or so of those bins should do ya? So what time do we arrive??!!!?!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

As said in the OP if you have a can or bottle submerged in water it is in direct contact with this cold liquid and transfers heat/cold much faster. i.e. if just stuck in a load of icecubes it has far less actual contact with the wall of the can. If cooling cans in a freezer stick a bag of frozen peas on top to cool it quicker.

Also you can keep a 2L of salt water in your freezer which is reusable, you can stick a can or bottle in a tall jug or vase, pour the salt water on which can be down to -18C and the can will be cold in no time, this is the same idea as those bottle chillers in off licences. Then you can pour the salt water back in the bottle and "recharge" it.

If your freezer is frosty another trick is to wet your can and place it on a frosty spot, it defrosts it locally and gets really good contact and so cools quicker, you can even slowly pour a shot of water over it then for even more contact.

If you have chest freezer it is best to keep it full for efficiency, i.e. if you open it you do not want air escaping, so it is handy to have 2L bottles of salt water. Also it will usually be much colder than ice cubes from an offy.

If using salt be sure to have a rinsing bucket, so people are not drinking out of salty cans or bottles. Another idea is using the big 2L of salt water or just water as giant icecubes, just dump them into the bin of water with the cap still on, have several so you can keep refreezing them, this is less messy as there is no continual pouring out needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

You know it only dawned on me last night. surely you could hire one of those big catering coolers like they have in the large pubs and hotels. Catering companies would hire them on a day rate Im sure..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

FusionNet wrote: »
    You know it only dawned on me last night. surely you could hire one of those big catering coolers like they have in the large pubs and hotels. Catering companies would hire them on a day rate Im sure..

Hired coolers and glasses from these guys a couple of months back - Eventbars.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm a bit confused....I've got a couple of those inflatable coolers and planning to fill it with ice and beer.

What do you do with the frozen salt water? How can you pour it from a 2L bottle from the freezer if its frozen?

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused....I've got a couple of those inflatable coolers and planning to fill it with ice and beer.

What do you do with the frozen salt water? How can you pour it from a 2L bottle from the freezer if its frozen?

that's the whole point, it doesn't freeze, or not until -20 degrees or so, which your freezer is unlikely to do

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

strike a deal with your local butcher/ supermarket (wont work with tescos, dunnes etc) tell em your story and that you need your beer chilled and are looking for somewhere to put it. If you buy your meat off them then they'll have no hassle storing your booze for a day or so. likewise if your planning on buyin the booze itsl from a supermarket with a butchers they'll deffo have no problem in letting you use their fridge for a day or so. the fact that its the weekend there fridges will be empty anyways so shouldnt be a proble. worked for me anyways. we took the beer off them at 6 o'clock in d evening nd it stayed cold all night

Advertisement