Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

littlewwoods

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is this not a a fairly widespread practise as part of the credit card system?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I am pissed coz I ordered something from their website which was right price over 100 euros in value and I said what the hell I'll stick one of these cheap PCs on my order. So they cancel both things and don't even bother contacting me?

I have phoned a couple of times and the two people I have talked to have not been able to answer this question "Where is my order?", because my order says Credit Rejected they keep pushing me onto their credit department but I paid with credit card not their credit plan.. numpties. Their email support is just as bad, I asked twice for a call back and this was completly ignored. I was given the wrong number on one occasion, then on the second occasion I was given the EXACT same email as previous just with the right number. Sorry but this is **** service.

I don't blame anyone looking to get a bargain. Its already been pointed out siuations reversed and the error fell in favour of the company they would not cancelling orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

I got a letter too today, sent the same day as I got their missed call, and cancelled my order. I'm just going to ignore it - I wouldn't waste a spider on them; they're a lot more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

ditto, got a letter today saying i had been turned down for credit when i never applied for credit! Littlewoods are clearly not in control of their systems and don't deserve our custom. it will probably be a nightmare trying to get my details removed from Littlewoods so called system. it's one thing putting an incorrect price on your system ( everyone makes mistakes) but it's the incompetence in dealing with the mistake that's the real issue for Littlewoods . Heads should roll. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

bmm wrote: »
    Heads should role.

Play?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Got the same letters today, except I had well beyond enough credit on the account. My balance is 100 and my limit is 325. They will receive a stern phone call from me shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Got a letter too, just saying to ring them.

Not even going to bother, how do you cancel your account with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

I got the same, credit rejected. Had more than enough on my card. Sent them an email asking for an explanation a few days ago and have received nothing.
    This shouldn't affect my Credit Rating, should it? It's just their way of getting out of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I got 5 letters in the door for each PC I ordered. All saying that the Items were no longer available ( as in out of stock)

Bast**ds:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 evil.monkey84

I tell you something Littlewoods customer service have no idea what is going on!

I phoned them using Skype since its free for me :D to ask them about the the letter that i received this morning (Summery of the letter: They could not process my order due to a problem with my credit card - Which its Bullsh*t) Customer Service agent had no idea why the letter was sent and went re-order 3 PCs for 69euro each(I was so happy at the time) then she put me on hold to tell me that her manager refused the contiune the order due to price mistake in the website!!!

Another word their customer service does not read my account history and does not know who and why the letter was sent!

Between: My friend ordered two PC at the time and received one PC yesterday and got letter today in the post asking him to send them the PC back! i swear i am not joking!

• Advertisement

I got the email from them just now:

I am writing in response to your recent order for a Compaq desktop computer. Unfortunately, the computer was priced incorrectly at €69 when the actual price is €519 for the large screen model and €499 for the smaller screen version. Therefore we are cancelling your order in accordance with our website terms and conditions.

This pricing error was due to a system fault and we would like to apologise for any disappointment that this has caused you.

We would love the chance to give you a more satisfying shopping experience and therefore, as a gesture of goodwill, we would like to offer you a 25% discount off your next order. However, if you would prefer not to receive any future marketing communications from us, simply reply to this email and we won't contact you.

If you would like to use the 25% discount, just quote code ss981 when you place your next order. The code will be valid for 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

I am writing in response to your recent order for a Compaq desktop computer.<snip>

I got the same email just now, with a different discount code.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I just got an email apologising for the misprice and as I am a "valued" customer, they gave me a 25% discount code to be used within the next 7 days as a gesture of goodwill! Better than nowt, I suppose.:pac:

I'd say the discount codes are account specific as they all are different

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

got the same email from them and I used my 25 % discount code to get me a samsung NC10 for 336 :D

I can't get into the Littlewoods site right now:( and I'd say anything I want will be sold out because of the discount codes flying around

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

It's not Littlewoods who have your funds locked up. It's your own bank. When a credit or debit card transaction is made online most of the time the retailers bank or their services provider request authorisation for the amount due from your bank / card provider. A signal is sent back saying yes you can take this amount etc and at that point the amount is put on hold pending word from the retailer to proceed with the transaction. These funds are promised to that retailer so can't be promised elsewhere.
    This is done to stop multiple retailers having authorisation to debit from the same account which if they all did would end up overdrawn. It's like going to the bank and having your balance and available balance etc.

This is normally reserved for 7 days but can be for up to 30 depending on the card issuer and the retailers request. In most cases even though Littlewoods cancel the transaction the card issuer / bank may decide to ignore the cancellation and allow the time to expire as it would have. I would be fairly sure that Littlewoods have not made a policy to stick it to you by not cancelling the transaction so chances are this is your bank / card issuers delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,275 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

yep same email here, different code too.

anyone see any good deals with the discount

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Again same e-mail here.

Still want to cancel my account though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

*Chuckle* at everyone who chanced their arm! Tank God I fought the urge to order 10 for re-sale! I hate to say I told you so, but...

... and you were all told, in multiple.

Could this actually be a genius stroke from Littlewoods??? Do they now potentially have say €100k from several thousand orders sitting and accumulating interest for the next 30 days???

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

same discount email here too

and i do need a new laptop. although even with the 25% discount, i reckon i could get a better deal/laptop on dell outlet tbh

• Advertisement

I've spotted a few things that are good value with the 25% discount but I am keeping my mouth shut! I can't order right now as I am awaiting a new credit card. I'd advise anyone who has something in mind, not to post the bargain because I reckon they will either run out of stock or amend their prices!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

This is normally reserved for 7 days but can be for up to 30 depending on the card issuer and the retailers request.

I use the system myself and the default setting is 7 days. A retailer must request a longer "hold" period. But cancelling it is as automatic and as quick as the hold of funds. - If I cancel a hold, it is available for the customer to use at 10pm that night.

A 30 day hold is not reasonable and I would regard it as an unfair practice.

Excluding the case of the bargain computers (we all knew there was feck all chance of delivery:)), say you order a set of furniture and then you get an e-mail saying its not available for a month, you want it quicker and can buy it from another source. You cancel your order as is your right under internet sales code, but with littlewoods, they would still have a hold on your funds for 30 days thus in many cases preventing you from purchasing at another store. Unfair practice imo, and something to note if shopping from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Everythings a rip-off even with the 25% discount, I want a laptop in the 500-700 Euro range and I thought the 25% off was going to get me a great deal but even with it I dont see anything there worth buying, has anyone seen a decent laptop on the site? My connection is ridiculous tonight and I cant look properly.

PS: I Changed the below code from the one they sent me :D

I am writing in response to your recent order for a Compaq desktop computer. Unfortunately, the computer was priced incorrectly at €69 when the actual price is €519 for the large screen model and €499 for the smaller screen version. Therefore we are cancelling your order in accordance with our website terms and conditions.

This pricing error was due to a system fault and we would like to apologise for any disappointment that this has caused you.

We would love the chance to give you a more satisfying shopping experience and therefore, as a gesture of goodwill, we would like to offer you a 25% discount off your next order. However, if you would prefer not to receive any future marketing communications from us, simply reply to this email and we won't contact you.

If you would like to use the 25% discount, just quote code ss981 when you place your next order. The code will be valid for 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

Thargor wrote: »
    Everythings a rip-off even with the 25% discount, I want a laptop in the 500-700 Euro range and I thought the 25% off was going to get me a great deal but even with it I dont see anything there worth buying, has anyone seen a decent laptop on the site? My connection is ridiculous tonight and I cant look properly.

I was looking a little, but the info on each laptop is appalling scarce. There's like a 2/3 sentence description that gives a very vague idea of the speifications. Id need more info than that if was gonna shell out 500 quid.
    But yeah, as i said above, even with the discount there doesnt really seem to be a decent deal going

(unless im missing an obvious link to more info or something)

consultech wrote: »
    *Chuckle* at everyone who chanced their arm! Tank God I fought the urge to order 10 for re-sale! I hate to say I told you so, but...

... and you were all told, in multiple.

Could this actually be a genius stroke from Littlewoods??? Do they now potentially have say €100k from several thousand orders sitting and accumulating interest for the next 30 days???

The retailer does not receive the funds until the full payment is processed. Any funds being held are being held by the card issuer - there is no interest being accumulated.

mcaul wrote: »
    I use the system myself and the default setting is 7 days. A retailer must request a longer "hold" period. But cancelling it is as automatic and as quick as the hold of funds. - If I cancel a hold, it is available for the customer to use at 10pm that night.

A 30 day hold is not reasonable and I would regard it as an unfair practice.

Excluding the case of the bargain computers (we all knew there was feck all chance of delivery:)), say you order a set of furniture and then you get an e-mail saying its not available for a month, you want it quicker and can buy it from another source. You cancel your order as is your right under internet sales code, but with littlewoods, they would still have a hold on your funds for 30 days thus in many cases preventing you from purchasing at another store. Unfair practice imo, and something to note if shopping from them!

That's not neccessarily true. Some banks do not process the cancellation of the hold in a timely manner. We've had experiences of cancelled customer orders that the card issuer left the hold on funds for the full period and basically ignored the cancellation of the hold. In this case perhaps you can question littlewoods requesting a 30 day hold but if the card issuer does its job as would be expected Littlewoods cancelling the hold at any time should not be an issue. As you said you can cancel the funds hold and have the money released to your customer that evening. There's no difference if thats on day 3 or day 23 of the hold once it processes as it should.

If Littlewoods have requested the cancellation now and the card issuer does not act on it then I'd be inclined to put the majority of the blame on the card holder. Obviously a different story if Littlewoods don't process the cancellation and in that case it's only right to give them a pasting but as I said earlier there's very little chance that they are maliciously leaving the transactions to run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Holsten wrote: »
    Got a letter too, just saying to ring them.

Not even going to bother, how do you cancel your account with them?

Got the same - from their 'Investigations' department, asking me to ring them re my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,275 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

lindtee wrote: »
    I've spotted a few things that are good value with the 25% discount but I am keeping my mouth shut! I can't order right now as I am awaiting a new credit card. I'd advise anyone who has something in mind, not to post the bargain because I reckon they will either run out of stock or amend their prices!:rolleyes:

But once we order we should share, right?

In fairness to littlewoods 25% is a decent discount to give, really wasn't expecting them to offer anything. There prices are a big higher than other places but with 25% off a few things seem to be lower than you'd get elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Anymore 25% discount codes? :pac:

Advertisement