Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie World XI - Centre Backs

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

OH NOES. TEH SKYSPORTZ BESTBEAGUE IN THE WORLD DIDN'T GET THE FIRST TWO SPOTS!!!

The reason Iker and Maicon won is because They are the two best (well, Id still have Buffon ahead of iker, but its liek trying to chose between a steak and a lump of duck, both perfect depnds on what mood you are in) at what they do.

I'd say Maicon got most of the RB votes because he managed to beat Dani Alves sout of the Brazil RB spot over that last 18 months and was one of the best plares in the confederations cup and we all know that people on this board have a raging hard on for alves, so if Maicon is better than him (and he is, by a long way) then he must be the best right back in the world, atleast better than the best right back in england (either Sanga or Johnson depending on weather you listen to the posters here or the professionals/writters in england), which he is (by a long way!).

I'm pretty sure that later on the following will get in, Xavi, Inesta, Messi, probably Kaka too

do I think they all deserve to be there? HELL NO, I;d have essien ahead of Ineista (hwo do you spell that?) any day, the other two barca players are shoe ins though and if you argue it you deserve a slap for being a numpty, as for Kaka, I rate him as highly as Messi and so do a lot of others (infact, I reckon that Ronaldo won't get anything like the reception from the Real fans when he is presented as Kaka did) so he will probably, and should be in there.

so thats

Iker
    Maison--- XXX--- XXX--- XXX

Xavi --- Iniesta

Messi --- Kaka --- XXX

XXX

as nailed on certs IMHO, who will the last 5 places belong to?
    No clue, but I reckon that Evra is in with a good shout at left full, Vidic and Ferdinand should have a good chance at the centre back spots and ronaldo and torress have as good a claim as any to the right wing and striker spots.

so could you please pick your toys up off the floor and get over your little hissy fit?

p.s. this list (as in centre backs) is terrible...

Kaladze
    Puyol
    Cannavaro
    Juan
    Garay
    Zapata
    Touré
    Carragher
    Cordoba

With the exception of a 23 year old and extremely raw christian zapata, none of these players are even the best centre backs at their clubs, never mind in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Jesus, there is a lot of moaning on here, seems like one can do no right!

Whether you agree with Morzadec's list or not, the fact remains that the winners will come through the voting and any potential winner is definately included. No chance we are going to miss one of the best XI. So it is a moot point whether Mexes or Skrtel or Marquez are included, as none of these would have made the final cut.

Anyway....Amazing how two years can change things. I suspect Buffon, Cannavaro and Zambrotta may all have been included at that point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I dont see how anyone would argue with Casillas. Buffon maybe up there, but its clearly a choice between them.

RB is a fairly weak spot in the PL currently.

CB and LB will go to the prem.

Midfield imo will go one to the prem, one elsewhere [Essien and Xavi]

Then I'd say Ronaldo, Messi will defo get in, then Torres too. Then who get the AM slot I dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Vidic and Ferdinand for cb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PHB wrote: »
    I dont see how anyone would argue with Casillas. Buffon maybe up there, but its clearly a choice between them.

Buffon for me
    PHB wrote: »
    Midfield imo will go one to the prem, one elsewhere [Essien and Xavi]....Then I'd say Ronaldo, Messi will defo get in, then Torres too. Then who get the AM slot I dont know.

Gerrard

Probably end up somethin like this

Casillas
    Maicon---Vidic---Rio---Evra
    ----Essien
    Xavi

Gerrard
    -Ronaldo
    Messi
    Torres

No room for Rooney or Kaka!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

keane2097 wrote: »
    1. A little bit of credit for having a little bit of knowledge about the game

:D:D Not much. 20 of you voted John O'Shea ahead of Maicon..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Dickerty wrote: »
    So it is a moot point whether Mexes or Skrtel or Marquez are included, as none of these would have made the final cut.

But it's not. I can only vote from the list. Example

some old guy
    a nobody
    my sister
    Vidic
    Ferdinand
    a belgian
    Jacko

So, Dickerty, who will you vote for best CB?

I chose Puyol and Lucio. I might have chosen Marquez if offered, and would have enjoyed the chance to reject the Matrix or Mexes, for that matter.

I wholly accept the OP is making a fair effort, and kudos to him, unfortunately he can only supply a poll that consists of options based on his own opinions as to who is great. To illustrate, while he wouldn't have got my vote, I think Mexes should be ahead of Chiellini as a choice for inclusion - Chiellini is the product of hype in Serie A and has a long way to go to be great. IMHO :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I really don't think Evra deserves left back,

but people wont like my choices: lahm, Santon and Zhirkov
    (can we consider Dani Alves there?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I really don't think Evra deserves left back,

but people wont like my choices: lahm, Santon and Zhirkov
    (can we consider Dani Alves there?)
    I agree about Evra, I think his defending has been a bit below his usual standard for a lot of this season. Having said that I haven't seen enough of anybody else you suggested except Santon, who I think has been very good but he hasn't even been a first choice for a full season yet, so would still pick Evra.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Nesta when he's fit is a class above everyone in that list. Easily been the best Center Back of the past decade. He's on the Maldini & Baresi level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

If Nesta was actually able to lace up a pair of boots, I'm pretty sure he was a cert for one of the spots. As it stands though, you simply can't include a player who has warmed the treatment table for the year on any list.
    Seaneh wrote: »
    My second choice would probably be Mexes or Vidic, there are some terrible, terrible choices on thjat list (mexes not even mentioned while Garay/Zapata/Canavarro/Juan/Carragher/Cordoba/Puyol are!
    :eek:

Roma conceded 61 goals last season and Mexes was personally responsible for many of them. The fact that he doesn't even get a game for a very poor French team should be warning enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Roma conceded 61 goals last season and Mexes was personally responsible for many of them. The fact that he doesn't even get a game for a very poor French team should be warning enough.

What are you talking about:eek:
    Mexes scored 50 goals in one season for me in CM4 and I won the quadruple!:D

Anyone for Bakayoko for attacking midfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I voted for nesta, even at 33, even thought he'll mioss half of every season from now on, he is, when fit, the best centre back I've seen since Berasi, the way he reads the game, the way he makes timing tackles look easy and never, EVER looks out of his comfort zone or over awed and his ability to be exactly where he needs to be makes him, for me, the best centre back of the last 10 years, Canna looked good for Italy for a long time because Nesta hide his flaws.
    I think that Nesta is one of the best centre backs I've ever seen. But according to the OP..
    I would classify it as who would you like to bring into a team next season.
    Why would you want someone in the team who could only play for half the season? It doesn't make any sense.

My second choice would probably be Mexes or Vidic
    Mexes?! That's just ridiculous. He's not as bad as Roma make him look but one of the best CBs in the world? Come off it!

as a Milan fan there are two centre backs in the world I would like to sign.

Vidic or Mexes.

The post about him not makinjg the french team? So fúcking what, with the idiot in charge who consults the stars to pick his team and regularly plays Abidal and Boumsong at left and centre back ahead of players like Evra, Clichey, Gallass, Squillaci, Escude.
    the man who picks Alou diarra ahead of Flamini?
    the man who picks govou, gignac and Briand ahead of Trezerguet.

Yeah... thats like saying that atonio cassano is shíte because Iaquinta gets in the italian side ahead of him!

as for Roma, I think you will find that Mexes was one of their only good players this year and if it wasnt for him and juan they would have finished evenm lower.

Pro. F wrote: »

Mexes?! That's just ridiculous. He's not as bad as Roma make him look but one of the best CBs in the world? Come off it!

and Garay/Zapata/Canavarro/Juan/Carragher/Cordoba/Puyol are?

you come off it, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

and Garay/Zapata/Canavarro/Juan/Carragher/Cordoba/Puyol are?

you come off it, tbh.
    I didn't suggest that any of them are one of the best two centre backs in the world. You suggested that Mexes is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Mexes is better than quite a few on the list but he would never have had a chance of winning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

We have our centre backs. I would say its unsurprising that the Boards.ie Centreback slots go to....

Rio Ferdinand

and

Nemanja Vidic

They both took it comfortably, in the lead from the start, especially Vidic. They possibly benefitted from the United vote, but there can be little complaints. Its hard to name two better Centre-backs in the world at the moment, this coming from a Liverpool fan. And we know they can work well together so its a good partnership.

Defensive Midfielders/Centre Midfielders will be posted up tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Everyone I voted has made the team so far :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Unearthly wrote: »
    Everyone I voted has made the team so far :cool:

Nice. Was actually gonna ask if there was anyone out there who has that honour, there's probably a few more as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Well done Man Yoo fans :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Ya this poll is definitely biased - surely that was apparent when O'Shea got 20 votes for being the best right-back in the world.

What a shock it would be if Evra got best left-back:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Probably the best pairing in the world won, individually I'm not sure if they are the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Warper wrote: »
    Ya this poll is definitely biased - surely that was apparent when O'Shea got 20 votes for being the best right-back in the world.

What a shock it would be if Evra got best left-back:pac::pac::pac:

Have to agree and this is coming from an United fan.
    Morzadec wrote: »
    Nice. Was actually gonna ask if there was anyone out there who has that honour, there's probably a few more as well.

Nope, I got Vidic and Maicon.Akinfeev and Chiellini were never going to get the votes needed, same with Lahm at left-back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Morzadec wrote: »

*Raises hand* :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Nesta got more votes than Chiellini. :confused:

Some people around here are clueless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    Nesta got more votes than Chiellini. :confused:

Some people around here have opinions different to mine and I don't like that. Everyone should agree with me.
    Fixed.:pac:

flahavaj wrote: »
    Fixed.:pac:
    I can see how it came across like that in fairness but, Nesta? Seriously? He's barely played in 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Am I the only, despite being an avid admirer of Barcelona, think that Puyol is a completely poor player?

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Am I the only, despite being an avid admirer of Barcelona, think that Puyol is a completely poor player?

He and Abidal are the weak links in the side. But its hard to underestimate the value of having a guy like Puyol with his passion for the club around the place and the influence he would have on team morale etc.

• Advertisement

I can see how it came across like that in fairness but, Nesta? Seriously? He's barely played in 2 years.

Ah yeah, I was only having a bit of fun. I don't think many people watch Serie A regularly around here, myself included, hence the lack of love for Chiellini. I'm sure some would have voted for Nesta based on former glories. Given the last couple of years hes had, he shouldn't really have been an option.

I completely agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Completely poor is probably a bit harsh, he might not be technically the best or the fastest, but he can cover centre back and right back in equally purposeful ways. He shouldn't be in consideration for worlds best defenders, but hes not a completely poor player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Those who don't watch the EPL regularly would probably have the same opinion of John Terry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

gustavo wrote: »
    Those who don't watch the EPL regularly would probably have the same opinion of John Terry

u think john terry is a poor defender?

i would have to disagree,like him or dislike him, hes a bloody good defender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

papagormo wrote: »

To be fair, he said people who dont watch the epl!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Terry is way overrated though because he is english

curry-muff wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that. I would agree that Gerrard and Rooney are overrated because they are English though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

curry-muff wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that. I would agree that Gerrard and Rooney are overrated because they are English though.
    Seriously, does anyone watch soccer anymore? The three players metnioned are world class players!!! FFS!!

• Advertisement

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Seriously, does anyone watch soccer anymore? The three players metnioned are world class players!!! FFS!!
    I didn't say they weren't (infact I stood up for Terry's ability) but I think they are overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

papagormo wrote: »

As a Chelsea fan Terry is nowhere near as good as he used to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Bubs101 wrote: »
    As a Chelsea fan Terry is nowhere near as good as he used to be

Couldn't agree more bubs, just posted on this in the chelsea thread.

On the poll thing its not hard to know who the majoirty of people on here support, with all the vote going for united two centre backs, only thing is vidic is good but it shouldn't be that clear cut above the rest and ferdinand is nowhere near his level but that not what the poll says...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

No Richard Naylor? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

the opinion given seems to suggest that terry is a completely poor player. im disagreeing with it. i agree that he may not be at his personnal best, but i dont think he should be regarded as a poor player just yet.id still rate him as being up there in the business.

sure we all have an opinion i suppose!:)

Advertisement