Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No such thing as a free (Indian) Lunch in portlaoise?

Options
  • 29-06-2009 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Have we all seen this?
    THE award winning Portlaoise Indian Restaurant, The Kingfisher, made national headlines back in February of this year with its three-course credit crunch lunch offers for just €5.

And it’s about to make them again. This time it’s offering free lunches to its diners.

Back in February the restaurant’s proprietor Khursdin Googee, who operates the restaurant from the old AIB Bank along the town’s lower Main Street, slashed his lunch prices and introduced a €5 “credit crunch lunch”.
    He said if trade had not improved within a few months of that move he would reassess the situation and threatened to cut the price by 50% to €2.50.

Indeed so successful was Mr Googee’s €5 credit crunch lunches that for a number of weeks following its announcement, people were queuing to get into his restaurant most afternoons.

At that time the restaurant owner said some people were telling him he was “crazy” for undertaking that move. But judging by the queues that were outside it for a while, he proved the naysayers wrong.
    So this week Mr Googee has taken the further step in a desperate attempt to bolster his early week trade and is offering lunches free of charge.

“Business is very bad on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights,” he said.
    “It’s desperate out there. What I am offering is that if people dine in the restaurant on either Sunday, Monday or Tuesday evenings, I will give them a voucher for a free lunch on either Wednesday, Thursday or Friday afternoons from noon to 2.30pm.”

So does he think his latest move will increase trade in the popular restaurant, where he claimed luminaries such as the former President of America and his wife Bill and Hillary Clinton once dined?
    “Business is so bad that I have to try everything to maintain my Sunday, Monday and Tuesday night trade.”

On the streets of Portlaoise one person said: “I don’t believe there is any such thing as a free lunch. There has to be some sort of catch in it.”

Another said: “I think it’s a good idea. If Dunnes Stores and Tesco can offer two for the price of one, then why can’t restaurants. I think Googee is on to a winner this time, again.”
    http://www.laois-nationalist.ie/tabId/514/itemId/3831/Who-says-that-theres-no-such-thing-as-a-free-lunc.aspx

Has anyone been there?
    Is it nice?
    Is this a good deal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

Top class award winning restaurant. Recommended:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

The food is fantastic. Always get my take aways there and last friday myself and the missus went in for a meal and it was lovely! I couldnt fault the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

Haven't been there for a while but was always great. Good to see someone showing some initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Went in for the €5 lunches a couple of times and was very impressed. Food is excellent any time I've been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭joe_dunne

Hi.

Myself and my wife popped in on Saturday for the 1st time and it was really good, the Prawn Chilli Masala I had was excellent.

Joe
    http://bujinkanportlaoise.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fona

Was in there on Monday for the first time with the fella. Evening time. Food was excellent. The place is nicely set out and the staff couldn't have been friendlier.

It's definitely on our list of places to eat out now. Actually, could quite go for one right now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Love the kingfisher so much top class Indian:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

if carslberg made indian reteraunts, the kingfisher would probobly be the best in the world...... seriously"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

There's another Indian/Pakistani restaurant up the road, up where Dial-a-Video used to be, that is way better than Kingfisher. Can't remeber the name of it though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I'd go out of my way to go to the Kingfisher at normal prices, am delighted to hear of this offer! Well done sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

CCCP^ wrote: »
    There's another Indian/Pakistani restaurant up the road, up where Dial-a-Video used to be, that is way better than Kingfisher. Can't remeber the name of it though :/

Mayur.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I like the Mayur too, in fact I'm going there tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 yelkcub

Hi looking for old friends from Cork living in Portlaise - know anyone from Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

We need more business's doing nice deals like this!

Advertisement