Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to remove studded partition plasterboard wall

Options
  • 29-06-2009 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm trying to remove a small studded partition plasterboard wall - whats the best way to do this? It juts out from a concrete wall about 3 feet.

It reaches from ceiling to floor - i managed to remove most of the plaster but am left with the wooden frame and a few noggins - which wont budge - should I saw out a section and then try pulling out the rest. I cant get a crowbar between the frame and wall or frame and ceiling.

Any hints welcome!!!

thanks
    BB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

a big hammer and a bit of aggression

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

+1 on the BFI (Brute force and ignorance.

I would make a caut to loosen the studs and make it easier to come down.

make sure that this is not supporting anything. because of the presence of the concrete wall i doubt it is but better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Just saw though the studs and then use a hammer and a bit of brute force.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Doctor_L

I had to remove some noggins to fit an access door for a dormer attic.

I sawed through the centre of the noggin and used a nail bar to prise of both ends of the noggins.

A hammer will do the job if you don't have a nail bar.

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 BenchBoy

thanks all - i reckoned as much. was knackered clearing off the plaster and was hoping there'd be an easier way! better go in now for round 2.

BB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 BenchBoy

partition gone! took the advice - sawed through each one of the uprights and pulled on the remaining bits - came out like a breeze from the ceiling and floor. Then got a very thin wedge chisel between the wall and wood frame, prised it open wide enough to get a small crow bar in and after a good amount of prescribed aggression off it came. thanks all !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

One word of advice make sure that the stud partition was not supporting anything. I took down a partition in my bathroom last year and had to have above it reinforced as I found out the partition was supporting part of the roof of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

yeah i said that. but seeing that his partition is down and nothing collappsed i think he was lucky ha ha

generally if the studs were supporting anything , one of the studs could be thicker or have a larger cross sections that the others,

i would be wary doing it in most modern houses with the widespread use of the dreaded timber fram.

Advertisement