Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build a Java plug-in for IE

Options
  • 29-06-2009 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

Hi there.

Could anynody point me towardsa site or a tutorial on how to build a java plug-in. Google isn't being nice to me, it keeps returning java plugins, but what i am looking for is a "How-To". I found one or too sites, but they are too advanced i think, i wanna start small, i.e. HelloWorld.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Do you mean an applet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Anima wrote: »
    Do you mean an applet?

I don't think so! I've built applets before and, assuming they're not the same, I want to build a plugin.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

"Plugins" for IE are called BHOs (Browser Helper Objects). Can't offer much more than that, but that should help with your Googling at least. Not sure if you could easily write one in Java - there's plenty of tutorials out there for writing them in C++ or C# though. If you're experienced with Java, C# probably wouldn't be too big a transition.

"Plugins" for IE are called BHOs (Browser Helper Objects). Can't offer much more than that, but that should help with your Googling at least. Not sure if you could easily write one in Java - there's plenty of tutorials out there for writing them in C++ or C# though. If you're experienced with Java, C# probably wouldn't be too big a transition.
    hmmm..... definately want to do it in java

I guess you could write a BHO "shell" in C++ to cover the COM/ATL parts, and then call your Java from there using some kind of interop. Not really sure how you'd go about all that though, some quick googling didn't turn up much, though I'm sure it's possible somehow or other.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Not trying to be smart but this thread reminds me of the old saying.

"When you have have a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

marco_polo wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart but this thread reminds me of the old saying.

"When you have have a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

I don't get it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Rough guide:

IE Plugin= Bolt.
    Firefox Plugin = Nail
    C#/VB = Wrench
    Java = Hammer.

:)

marco_polo wrote: »
    Rough guide:

IE Plugin= Bolt.
    Firefox Plugin = Nail
    C#/VB = Wrench
    Java = Hammer.

:)
    Right, are you trying to dsay that there are no java plugins for IE?

I imagine he's saying Java is not the most appropriate tool for this job. Re Java-based plugins for IE, I've never heard of one tbh, though I'm sure someone's at least tried it at some point.

• Advertisement

hmmmm......

Right, are you trying to dsay that there are no java plugins for IE?

There is a java plugin that I would hazzard a guess is written in C++, that enables the running of java programs in IE. But java programs need a JVM in order to run, and IE is a compilled native windows program and does not run in inside a Jvm process so there is no way for java code to 'hook in' to IE in order to alter its behaviour. Microsoft scrapped J# a good few years ago so there is really no way of writing native windows programs in a variant of the java language (Not that J# really was proper java anyway). Microsoft tolerate the existance of java, but they do not go out of their way to facilitate its use in any way. .Net is the only way to go for IE plugins these days.

BTW sorry if I came across as a bit of an arse in my the first post, I was genuinely just going for humerous not smartass :).

I imagine he's saying Java is not the most appropriate tool for this job. Re Java-based plugins for IE, I've never heard of one tbh, though I'm sure someone's at least tried it at some point.

I am sure it is possible, all ultimately 1's an 0's after all, but not a good idea. I would be surprised if some nerd has not at least attempted to write a plugin for IE in java that will run on Debian (Joke btw):D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JamesAlex

hmmm..... definately want to do it in java

to bad, you cant. Download VS2008 and download a browser plugin sample from somewhere and give it a go. C# is almost identical to java plus you can use java libraries if you get stuck.

Advertisement