Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good way to react to a christian protestor at Pride

Options
  • 29-06-2009 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Anyone at pride might have seen the christian guy at the top of O'Connel Street Protesting. He was up there with his sign. Myself ad my boyfriend thought there was only one reaction to that.
    3668100262_a22c61048c_m.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

What are you looking for..... a gold star?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The protester looks quite happy. "My wife and I can kiss better than that".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Yeah, I found it amusing that he looks amused.

I'd have given HIM a gold star. Or a big fat rainbow star, alternatively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would have sang "yes jesus loves me" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was the one who took that pic :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

I saw a few of those Christian parades... don't think they were necessarily anti-pride. Maybe I'm naive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

He seems harmless, fair play to him for standing up for what he believes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Sorry op, but I think he is very much entitled to his own opinion.

I sing off the same hymn sheet as mark simpson on this matter but I'm normally scared to say so because I get roundly gay bashed by other hysterical gay people :)

http://www.marksimpson.com/blog/2009/05/01/the-gay-case-against-gay-marriage-and-gay-bigotry/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

awh bless him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Otaku Girl

Boston wrote: »
    fair play to him for standing up for what he believes in.

Not if it's a load of old bollocks based on Jewish mythology:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Otaku Girl wrote: »

You philistine he hasn't hurt anyone he's merely expressing his opinion.

As were they.

Both gays and Christians are allowed their pride. Now if you'll excuse me, my Satan worshipping club is nearly finished mkaking its banners.

ceret wrote: »
    Anyone at pride might have seen the christian guy at the top of O'Connel Street Protesting. He was up there with his sign. Myself ad my boyfriend thought there was only one reaction to that.
    3668100262_a22c61048c_m.jpg

Well I have a much better way.

bertrand_russell_image1.jpg

April%20space%20pic%20NASA.jpg

teapot22.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot:D

Oh look now she's getting at the teapot-worshippers that is really uncalled for.

The prejudice makes me want to vomit.

OneArt wrote: »
    You philistine he hasn't hurt anyone he's merely expressing his opinion.

As were they.

Both gays and Christians are allowed their pride. Now if you'll excuse me, my Satan worshipping club is nearly finished mkaking its banners.

But the opinions which he gives make it harder for people like us.
    I'm all for people giving there opinions but if it's a crazy opinion based on sheer ignorance of reality they should be prepared to have it challenged by rational people such as myself. Not all opionions are equally valid.:p

OneArt wrote: »
    Oh look now she's getting at the teapot-worshippers that is really uncalled for.

The prejudice makes me want to vomit.

Pretty creative though,huh?:D

I'm all for people giving there opinions but if it's a crazy opinion based on sheer ignorance of reality they should be prepared to have it challenged by rational people such as myself. Not all opionions are equally valid.:p

Wait till he's toting a gun. Then I won't like him as much.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Pretty creative though,huh?:D
    Pretty much like blasphemy to me here and other worshippers of the Flying Spaghetti Monster :mad:

ixoy wrote: »
    Pretty much like blasphemy to me here and other worshippers of the Flying Spaghetti Monster :mad:

No!The church of the pink unicorn is the one true faith ye heathens:P

As opposed to a load of old bollocks based on Greek homoeroticism?

I thought the point of the pride parade was to get people to stop referring to the gay community as "people like you" no? :confused:

btw my definition of sheer ignorance... never mind.

I was having quite a good read, until Dawkins made a fool of himself. Just goes to show he's a one trick pony, and is no philosopher that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

OP - You're gay...well done.

says you - you are as bad as that protester. actually worse cos you referred to his beliefs as "bollocks" which is insulting. he just disagrees with yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Does anyone actually know what was written on this guys poster?

Are we just presumming it was anti gay just because it was something religious??

Maybe it was about how Jesus loves us all equally?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

mollzer wrote: »
    Does anyone actually know what was written on this guys poster?

Are we just presumming it was anti gay just because it was something religious??

Maybe it was about how Jesus loves us all equally?
    Well I can see the words "Repent before it is too late" written there so I don't believe he was being particularly tolerant..

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Yes its his opinion and he's entitled to it, in the same way white supremicists are entitled to theirs.

Arathorn wrote: »
    Yes its his opinion and he's entitled to it, in the same way white supremicists are entitled to theirs.

Liken this guy to white supremacists merely makes people more oblivious to the dangers supremacists represent. There is nothing hateful in the guys message, there is nothing which might insight violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Indeed. I see no issue with this guy having his say, and having the right to his say. I don't see how any bigotry is involved in promoting the Christian understanding of human sexuality at a pride parade even when many would disagree.

It's a strange phenomenon that people now consider it "bigotry" when someone puts forward a view which disagrees with yours and even does so respectfully? Curious that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Good article that, I like this quote especially:

And after all, marriage itself is convention and tradition tied up in a big red bow and covered in confetti and sprinkled with Holy Water. Which is exactly why lesbians and gays should have nothing to do with it

Homosexual or not, I really dont see why there is still such a strong focus on marriage in modern society.... yeah, its tradition and all, but to me, its social bondage!

No one called him a bigot in this thread. Lets not get hysterical.

Boston wrote: »
    Liken this guy to white supremacists merely makes people more oblivious to the dangers supremacists represent. There is nothing hateful in the guys message, there is nothing which might insight violence.

I disagree while not at the same level as white supremicists this message "repent before its too late" sends the message that being gay is sinful and will result in going to hell. This in a way legitimises the more extreme reactions to gay people. In saying that I respect that he is peacefully protesting, and I also genuinely believe he and his opinions are a dieing breed.

• Advertisement

Good article that, I like this quote especially:

And after all, marriage itself is convention and tradition tied up in a big red bow and covered in confetti and sprinkled with Holy Water. Which is exactly why lesbians and gays should have nothing to do with it

Well I suppose then non religious people should not be allowed to marry either, or people of different faiths, Budhists and Christians for example.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement