Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tory MEP claims Mandelson trying to keep David Cameron at bay until Lisbon ratified

Options
  • 29-06-2009 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

European Commissioners are obsessed with the need to keep David Cameron at bay until the Lisbon Treaty is ratified

Some extracts from an article by Daniel Hanan of the Telegraph:
    "Lord Mandelson is destroying Labour for the sake of the EU. He is determined to prop up Gordon Brown until after the Irish referendum on the Lisbon Treaty, whatever the cost to his party. See how they operate, these Euro-zealots. They are like Richard Dawkins's selfish genes, not caring what happens to their host organisms once they have served their purpose."

"the Conservative leader has promised a referendum on Lisbon – and, unlike the other two party leaders, he means it. He has even instructed his lawyers to draw up the Bill in advance, so that he could introduce it on his first day in office. Eurocrats are understandably determined to keep the Tory leader out until after the second Irish referendum in October. (There is a universal, if somewhat insulting, assumption in Brussels that the Irish will roll over this time.) Mandelson is their agent, their man in Westminster.

He may be a Minister of the Crown these days, but his heart is plainly in his last job. He likes to boast of his proximity to EU leaders, and recently floated the idea that Britain might join the euro. If keeping Lisbon on track means condemning his grandfather's party, he will do the necessary. "

*Impoartant Point:
    Since Peter Mandelson is (or will be) in receipt of an EU pension and that EU pensions are paid on the understanding that the EU can remove this pension, if in the view of the Commission or the Luxembourg Court, the recipient "fail(s) to uphold the interests of the European Communities", does that affect Peter Mandelson's loyalty to the interests of the UK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Interesting that the article title mentions the 'obsession' of 'european commissioners' and then doesn't go on to even mention or quote a single sitting commissioner, let alone commissioners plural.

Why this actually seems to be an article about internal UK politics dressed up as a Brussels v Blighty piece in order to cast Labour in a devious light when compared against virtuous Cameron.

Still, I expect no less from the Torygraph, I do, however, expect more of contributors to this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

The Gordon Brown, Peter Mandelson 'team' who ratified Lisbon last year without a referrendum (after promising one to the people of England), appear singularly focused on the job, publicly, but... in true Peter Mandelson style.....

Mandelson's leaked emails where he describes Brown as 'angry and insecure' follows disclosures in The Sunday Times that Mandelson “dripped pure poison” about Brown into the ear of a senior Conservative just weeks before he was recalled to the cabinet last October.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6446325.ece

Interesting that the article title mentions the 'obsession' of 'european commissioners' and then doesn't go on to even mention or quote a single sitting commissioner, let alone commissioners plural.

Why this actually seems to be an article about internal UK politics dressed up as a Brussels v Blighty piece in order to cast Labour in a devious light when compared against virtuous Cameron.

Still, I expect no less from the Torygraph, I do, however, expect more of contributors to this forum.

Pardon me your worship, I hadnt realised that we are subject to your lofty standards when we post our opinions to this forum :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Pardon me your worship, I hadnt realised that we are subject to your lofty standards when we post our opinions to this forum :p

Er, he's quite correct, though. Mandelson isn't a Commissioner, he's a Labour spin doctor. Of course, "Labour spin doctor tries to keep Cameron at bay" doesn't make much of a title, for obvious reasons...

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

The Gordon Brown, Peter Mandelson 'team' who ratified Lisbon last year without a referrendum (after promising one to the people of England), appear singularly focused on the job, publicly, but... in true Peter Mandelson style.....

Mandelson's leaked emails where he describes Brown as 'angry and insecure' follows disclosures in The Sunday Times that Mandelson “dripped pure poison” about Brown into the ear of a senior Conservative just weeks before he was recalled to the cabinet last October.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6446325.ece

And your point is?

Or are you just randomly posting newspaper articles?

Can I play?
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2506255/Bear-breaks-into-house-for-chocolate.html
    A SWEET-TOOTHED bear knew exactly what it wanted when it broke into a house in search of food – chocolate.

It's funny because the bear eats chocolate...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Some extracts from an article by Daniel Hanan of the Telegraph:

Even though I agree with some of the points in this piece, it also worth pointing out, as you will see if you scroll to the end of it, that Daniel Hannan is not "of the Telegraph" - he is a Tory MEP. Not very surprising, therefore, that he's saying nice things about Cameron and nasty ones about Mandelson . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The Gordon Brown, Peter Mandelson 'team' who ratified Lisbon last year without a referrendum (after promising one to the people of England)

Asfaik they promised a vote on the constitution, not Lisbon.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Er, he's quite correct, though. Mandelson isn't a Commissioner, he's a Labour spin doctor. Of course, "Labour spin doctor tries to keep Cameron at bay" doesn't make much of a title, for obvious reasons...

amused,
    Scofflaw

Yes, I know that Mandelson is not a commissioner, but his role as a spin doctor is vital to the existence of the present labour government.. he did manage keep Brown in office at a crucial time

Yes, I know that Mandelson is not a commissioner, but his role as a spin doctor is vital to the existence of the present labour government.. he did manage keep Brown in office at a crucial time

Well, yes, exactly...what has the European Commission to do with it?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

turgon wrote: »
    Asfaik they promised a vote on the constitution, not Lisbon.

According to this opinion piece in yesterday's Sunday Times by William Rees-Mogg (who, unlike Danial Hanan, is a senior and highly respected British journalist) they did, and a desire to prevent a UK referendum on Lisbon is the major reason preventing an early general election there:

These problems all arise from Mr Brown's refusal to hold the British referendum that Labour promised; they make the timing of the British general election and the Irish referendum crucial to the ratification of the treaty. To complete the Lisbon process, the Irish referendum needs to be held as early as possible and a British general election as late as possible. If the Irish referendum and the British general election were both held in early October, there would not be time to complete the ratification of Lisbon before Britain had the opportunity to hold a referendum.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/william_rees_mogg/article6549491.ece

• Advertisement

Well, in the absence of any actual involvement by the European Commission in this, I've edited the thread title. This isn't ConservativeHome, after all.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

And your point is?

Or are you just randomly posting newspaper articles?

Can I play?
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2506255/Bear-breaks-into-house-for-chocolate.html

It's funny because the bear eats chocolate...

The Sun newspaper and Buckfast, maybe your standards arent as lofty as I had originally thought...

My point is this, the impending second vote on Lisbon, is having a significant bearing on the politics of England... Gordon Brown decides when to call the next general election. And of course he doesnt intend to until after the Irish 2nd referendum, as Cameron is spearheading the next Tory campaign with an anti-Lisbon agenda.

Brown remaining in power until the Irish (expectedly) vote yes to Lisbon, is key to Lisbon being passed.

The re-emergence of Peter Mandelson as a key aid to Gordon Brown has created much suspicion, and particularly when we see Mandelsons true sentiments towards Brown (his so called political ally) in the leaked emails, does not inspire much confidence in the pro Lisbon camp in England

The lads having the craic http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/MoLsdK4ajep/Cabinet+Meeting+Held+During+Gordon+Brown+Trip/-SGwSv_3lkw/Peter+Mandelson

Advertisement