Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The rate my tattoos thread

Options
  • 29-06-2009 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Ok,I popped over to the show you mine thread since I saw there was new posts, and I like looking at other peoples tattoos :rolleyes:

I've just read through the last couple of pages and while I can see the points on both sides, I don't think picking at the (volunteer!) mods will solve anything. hopefully this thread will though :) So to be clear, people can continue to post in the show you mine thread if they want to show their work only, but post here if theyre looking for opinions - albeit good/bad/indifferent.

Here's what I propose for it:

People post their tattoos, with a little bio/story if they like, and if they are looking for feedback on a particular aspect eg should I add this/go back to this artist for another piece or whatever they can say that too.

As the thread name suggests, people then rate the work EG give their opinions.

If you like something fair enough, but I would suggest if you're going to say you don't like something, you say why, eg its not to my taste/ i think its poorly executed/ theres a blowout on this part rather than just haha thats sh!t :rolleyes:

I'll go first, in honesty I've don't particularly mind what other people think of my work, I like it and thats what matters to me :)

Tatt 1. My brother and I got matching ones. not a lot to say here they're just a little design we got as buddy ink for the lulz. If i'd known more about tattooing at the time I would have suggested something other that stars :rolleyes: teacups maybe :D but hey we like them so its cool.

heres a pic of mine freshly done:

stars.jpg

Tattoo 2: Koi, waves and cherry blossoms. Still a work in progress. This piece has no black ink in it, theres some grey shading but the outline was done in different shades of turqoise. The waves still need filling in and some touching up on the koi then its done, probably just need one more sitting, im so lazy about booking stuff :rolleyes: The two bottom blossoms aren't actually a weird shape, its the self taking pic angle im afraid.

DSCF3161.jpgDSCF3139.jpg

Tattoo 3: 25th birthday cupcake! I wanted something fun and childish to mark my 1/4 century so here it is. I like how the icing looks like its dripping down. Again laziness on my part, some of the colour in the blue smoke and some of the sprinkles fell out almost right away and I havent booked to get it touched up yet :rolleyes:

cupcake3-1.jpg

My only regrets about my tatts are that thayre in places that I cant shom them off more :( Future plans include a birds/cages/branches piece and another with imagery from a TS Eliot poem. Originally I was going to get the bird piece on my thigh and an Eliot upper arm half sleeve, but im wondering will I spend half my time explaining the halfsleeve :confused: or will a nice, well done piece of work stand alone as art and stop people constantly asking "why peaches/teacups/etc/etc?"

Anywhoo, critique away ;)

Molby x

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Lets put in one small rule.

Dont post your Ink here unless youre willing to take harsh criticism(sp)
    If someone posts a comment about your ink that you dont like then dont start arguing over it.

If you`ve posted your ink here then we`re assuming youre willing to take criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Molberts wrote: »
    Ok,I popped over to the show you mine thread since I saw there was new posts, and I like looking at other peoples tattoos :rolleyes:

I've just read through the last couple of pages and while I can see the points on both sides, I don't think picking at the (volunteer!) mods will solve anything. hopefully this thread will though :) So to be clear, people can continue to post in the show you mine thread if they want to show their work only, but post here if theyre looking for opinions - albeit good/bad/indifferent.

People post their tattoos, with a little bio/story if they like, and if they are looking for feedback on a particular aspect eg should I add this/go back to this artist for another piece or whatever they can say that too.

If you like something fair enough, but I would suggest if you're going to say you don't like something, you say why, eg its not to my taste/ i think its poorly executed/ theres a blowout on this part rather than just haha thats sh!t :rolleyes:

I'll go first, in honesty I've don't particularly mind what other people think of my work, I like it and thats what matters to me :)

Tatt 1. My brother and I got matching ones. not a lot to say here they're just a little design we got as buddy ink for the lulz. If i'd known more about tattooing at the time I would have suggested something other that stars :rolleyes: teacups maybe :D but hey we like them so its cool.

stars.jpg

Tattoo 2: Koi, waves and cherry blossoms. Still a work in progress. This piece has no black ink in it, theres some grey shading but the outline was done in different shades of turqoise. The waves still need filling in and some touching up on the koi then its done, probably just need one more sitting, im so lazy about booking stuff :rolleyes: The two bottom blossoms aren't actually a weird shape, its the self taking pic angle im afraid.

DSCF3161.jpgDSCF3139.jpg

Tattoo 3: 25th birthday cupcake! I wanted something fun and childish to mark my 1/4 century so here it is. I like how the icing looks like its dripping down. Again laziness on my part, some of the colour in the blue smoke and some of the sprinkles fell out almost right away and I havent booked to get it touched up yet :rolleyes:

cupcake3-1.jpg

My only regrets about my tatts are that thayre in places that I cant shom them off more :( Future plans include a birds/cages/branches piece and another with imagery from a TS Eliot poem. Originally I was going to get the bird piece on my thigh and an Eliot upper arm half sleeve, but im wondering will I spend half my time explaining the halfsleeve :confused: or will a nice, well done piece of work stand alone as art and stop people constantly asking "why peaches/teacups/etc/etc?"

Molby x

I really love them all, particularly the 1st two. I love the way there's no black in the koi - kind of gives it a magical look! And I just think the idea of brother/sister tats is so cute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

molberts- they're gorgeous! very unique twists on classic idea! fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd be the opposite to -lala-. I'm not too pushed on the stars, they're just stars... but I like how they are done.

I love your koi, and the cupcake is so unusual and all sorts of awesome :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Ham Sandwich

Yeah I'm the same, the stars aint too special but love the colours of the koi and cherry blossoms, the blue is fab, real different without the black lining too, fab choice! Think the 3rd maybe my fav although I'm not able to make it out too well, a re-picture perhaps? It's a little too zoomed out! My eye sight is nil and i'm not at that 1/4 century yet!!

No tatts myself yet, but have a few plans, still thinking about them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I really like the stars, they're very different to how stars usually are.

The koi looks great, really "dreamy" or something because there's no solid black.

Can't see the cupcake really well, think I saw better pics before and liked it though, has the same "dreamy" quality as the koi.

I'll throw mine into the ring, I know it's nothing special or majorly artistic, but do your worst!

448723989a10737828503l.jpg

The treble clef and stave (lines) was originally done by Pawel in Snakebite, I wasn't overly mad on it originally (uneven lines, Pawel didn't seem very into it, probably because of how minimalist it is)

The rest was done by Seb in Hell Funky's (now closed), and it's still very much a work in progress that I can't afford to fix at the moment. The back of my arm still needs to be finished, along with a lot of touching up. Hence the fading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Molberts - very nice, I'm loving the koi fish and am a big lover of Japanese style, and this is a great take on it with no black. Was that your idea or the artist's? The one on your stomach is very cute - all in all your tattoos are very feminine and girly, I mean that in the best possible way. I like the stars as I generally like stars and like star tattoos. Nice polka dot pants by the way! ;-) Very cute.

Sofaspud - not too crazy about it to be honest, I take it the treble clef was an older tattoo? Its quite well done. It does look more faded than the thorns. I don't really like the style, and I think the thorns could've been done a lot better.

Anyway, here's mine: Japanese sleeve tattoo started in August 08 and finished last month. The sun on my shoulder I already had since 2004 so the sleeve works around it. Originally I was just getting a half sleeve done, to where the chrysanthemum / lotus flower lie, but then I decided to go a bit longer and get a not quite full / not quite 3/4 length sleeve.

I'm really happy with it composition wise; the execution of certain parts could've been better, for example the shading on the wind bars isn't really consistant and there's some patchiness in places. Overall though its a good work.

4160_84657383829_531828829_1740597_523150_n.jpg
    4160_84656773829_531828829_1740593_6596173_n.jpg

P.S. cos I used a webcam to take the shots the colours look slightly different - the cherry blossoms are red but came out pink here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

sofaspud- its different! i like it but i dont know why! if that makes sense?
    it does look a bit faded in parts though but you could get that topped up if it was needed so its no biggie!
    eviltimeban- its a bit too colourful for me personally but the design is beautiful, really detailed. as you said the webcam could be at fault with the colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rosieogrady

I Love the originality of all your tattoos guys. I will post a pic of mine later when i get to grips with technology. Is it wrong not to have a big story behind a tattoo I have two one on my lower back of a Rose and one on my foot of, lets just say, nice lines could be an outline of a lilly flower but I basically asked the guy in Bullmans to just design his own thing based on some drawings i had of other peoples. I love it but people keep asking me what it means or is it of something. Its really not but just a work of art to me

Is it wrong not to have a big story behind a tattoo
    Nothing wrong with having art just because you like the art. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rosieogrady

Phew heres my one too so!!!!

th_too.jpg

:DIm very happy with it but I am now mad for another:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 needcar

meh, dont like any cept for the armpiece. everything else lacks imagination, though thats no masterpiece either, at least it looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

needcar wrote: »
    meh, dont like any cept for the armpiece. everything else lacks imagination, though thats no masterpiece either, at least it looks good.
    not miami ink standards enough for you??

And Molby's koi is actually quite amazing especially in person

Awesome feedback. I'll cut you some slack seing as you're new, but please try to keep it constructive, as specified in the first post.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Lets see some of your master pieces then and let us judge yours.
    That first post is not constructive at all.Your lucky I didnt see it before Damo.In my opinion you just decided to post that to start an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 needcar

Awesome feedback. I'll cut you some slack seing as you're new, but please try to keep it constructive, as specified in the first post.

ok, i dont like the fish- everyone has them and completely miami ink actually. i hate the music note- looks cheap and badly done. the yoke on the foot is boring and completely uninspirational. At least the arm piece is vibrant, colourful and looks profesionally done.

this is a rate my tattoo thread yes? and dont post pics if you cant take the criticism? well **** me, SORRY:P

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

ok, i dont like the fish- everyone has them

fair enough kois are popular enough tattoos, my OH even has one.

but IMO molbert's one is one of the best i've ever seen. it's gorgeous; i've never seen those colours used in a koi before, especially the lack of black ink. also, it's very feminine in it's execution, placement and colour scheme.

if your argument against it is that a lot of people have koi, then can the same not be said for the japanese sleeve?

i'm not attacking it, i think that's a fabulous piece also (love the vibrant colours) but plenty of people have japanese sleeves with japanese style wind, cherry blossoms and chrysanthemums.

i don't get your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Molberts - very nice, I'm loving the koi fish and am a big lover of Japanese style, and this is a great take on it with no black. Was that your idea or the artist's? The one on your stomach is very cute - all in all your tattoos are very feminine and girly, I mean that in the best possible way. I like the stars as I generally like stars and like star tattoos. Nice polka dot pants by the way! ;-) Very cute.

Sofaspud - not too crazy about it to be honest, I take it the treble clef was an older tattoo? Its quite well done. It does look more faded than the thorns. I don't really like the style, and I think the thorns could've been done a lot better.

Anyway, here's mine: Japanese sleeve tattoo started in August 08 and finished last month. The sun on my shoulder I already had since 2004 so the sleeve works around it. Originally I was just getting a half sleeve done, to where the chrysanthemum / lotus flower lie, but then I decided to go a bit longer and get a not quite full / not quite 3/4 length sleeve.

I'm really happy with it composition wise; the execution of certain parts could've been better, for example the shading on the wind bars isn't really consistant and there's some patchiness in places. Overall though its a good work.

P.S. cos I used a webcam to take the shots the colours look slightly different - the cherry blossoms are red but came out pink here!
    i do love this:) ... i actually dont like colour tattoo's (yeah i know , im prolly wierd) all mine are and will be black and grey , most colour i have is white and that was after i had to be told a few times it would be okay! .. but this i love :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Tiarnabas

I love the colours in these, very nice indeed.

Molberts wrote: »

stars.jpg

DSCF3161.jpgDSCF3139.jpg

cupcake3-1.jpg

Molby x

I find these very erotic, I love them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

People are gonna have to control themselves, it's a rate my tattoo thread. So rate it and give your opinion. Be critical if you must but saying useless stuff like "it's erotic" isn't welcome at all.

Here’s my one and only, might not be to everyone’s taste but very personal to me.

tatt1.jpg

Will wrote: »
    People are gonna have to control themselves, it's a rate my tattoo thread. So rate it and give your opinion. Be critical if you must but saying useless stuff like "it's erotic" isn't welcome at all.

Why????

Art can be erotic, theres nothing seedy about saying that.

Anyway, I rate them 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Will wrote: »

Hmmm...I would have though that was a compliment. No different that being told a tattoo is sexy.

Tiernabas because we have rules regarding such things. It can be considered as sleazy and creepy. Consider it a first and last warning.

Tiernabas because we have rules regarding such things. It can be considered as sleazy and creepy. Consider it a first and last warning.

Very harsh imo, but ok.

Tiarnabas wrote: »
    Very harsh imo, but ok.
    We had trouble in the past with the same kind of thing, it's a matter of needing to draw a line to keep things running smoothly.

We had trouble in the past with the same kind of thing, it's a matter of needing to draw a line to keep things running smoothly.

Dually noted, I have PM'd the OP to apologies if any offence was caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

what up, my ninjas?

Lookit, not to be a Negative Nancy or anything, but this thread is going to be all sorts of Fail.

there is no such thing as constructive criticism of a tattoo to the wearer - its too late. its fairly rare that much can be done to really save a truly poorly done tattoo, particularly if the design is fundamentally bad.
    So the only thing anyone can say to criticise is "should've, should've, should've", and I suspect for the most part it would come down to "should have gone to my artist of choice".
    What's the point in that? And once you take the negative comments out, you'll just have nauseating back-patting, and we already have a thread for that.

constructive criticism is useful to the tattooist, but thats not really the demographic of this forum, is it?

Actually, the one constructive thing that everyone could do - is ALWAYS state where you got the tattoo, who did it, how old it is and how you felt about your experience there IN THE ORIGINAL POST. That would help people make informed decisions about where to get tattooed and by whom, far more than other people's comments.

(sorry, no net for a few weeks....sorry if this is no longer relevant.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

I leave the internets for a day and look what happens :cool:

Hot2Def, good points. I'll edit my first post to put that info in (if its not gone past the edit date). You're totally right, it IS too late for the person who already has the tattoo, but to be honest I think the majority of people are happy with their work (unless its a really horrific mess and they know it and are posting looking for cover up suggestions) so they won't be too bothered by negative comments. For example I love my (totally ordinary) stars cos they remind me of the day I got them hanging out with my brother. If other people don't like them thats totally fine with me :)

Where I thought the thread might be handy would be for people for future decisions. For example if I posted a tattoo and lots of people said ya know thats not the best of work, it wouldnt make me regret the tattoo I already have, but it might make me think twice about going back to the same artist for more work.

Truthinwords was talking in the other thread about raising standards and peoples expectations. A colleague of mine recently was in town, bored and decided to get a tattoo for the lulz. She wandered into colourworks which happened to be the closest studio at the time and picked her starsign out of a flash book. It's the best bloody starsign I've ever seen. It looks 3d, has 2/3 different shades of grey and the shading is beautiful. How easy would it have been for the artist to roll his/her eyes and wack it on in black in 5 minutes and take her money, really, she wouldnt have known the difference.

The point is the artist (not sure who it was she didnt know who it was just the studio name) has a certain standard and pride in their work so made it the best bit of flash they possibly could. I think this should be commended and if people see work of a certain standard online, maybe they'll rethink what they feel is an acceptable standard of work.

Not being bigheaded at all cos its not my work its the artists, but a couple of people have seen my back in person and said jeebus I didnt actually know you could do that with a tattoo, I think I'll call your guy instead of picking something out of a book for the sake of it like I was going to.

On the "nauseating back patting" I agree with Hot2Def. Personally if I've nothing nice to say I won't say it, if I compliment something I mean it. By the way eviltimeban, loving the sleeve :D

Tiarnabas I wasn't entirely comfy with the comment so cheers for the pm.

On the negative comments, this thread is about art and art is meant to be controvercial imo :)

Hopefully this thread will turn into a good un, but if not meh its only a thread on the intertubez, no biggie :p

Advertisement